Gator's Dragon Adventure 2nd edition: now with 770% more dragons

edited 2012-08-05 00:18:11 in Artistic Pursuits
Copypasta'd from the main megathread:
Last night, I had an idea for an adventure hook pop into my head. Unlike most of the times this happens, I decided to write it down. Looking back on it, it's very strange -- probably excessively so. But at the same time, it looks like it could maybe possibly sort of have promise as a first adventure in an episodic series.

I've decided to try and see if I could develop anything substantial out of this idea in this thread. Right now it's rough and bare-bones, but hopefully, it'll get at least a little more flesh to it in the future. I might even learn something from this experience. Who knows?

I'll put the wall of expository text in the next post.

Comments

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Dragons with breasts

Now this thread is tainted (...or improved)
  • edited 2012-08-05 00:57:44
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    The VERY Rough Sketch of the Setting and Hook of the First Episode

The adventure takes place in a dragon "village." The dragons who live here are a diverse lot. You're likely to find your typical big, flying lizards; serpentine dragons at about the same size; or humanoid "dragon-folk" who are smaller compared to the other dragons but a bit larger than most humans. In addition, they can have one or two of six innate elemental powers.

The main characters are humans who have found themselves in this village because of their interest in magic (and in some cases, their academic pursuits). Of course, they stand out, but the village is surprisingly accepting of them.

One of our heroes, who shall be given the placeholder name Noah for now, has attracted the interest of a wealthy eccentric whose interest in herpetology has earned him the title "Duke of Snakes." Despite what the title may suggest, he's a very nice person, though he's also occasionally stern. The Duke offered Noah a job as one of his assistants in his library in exchange for room and board, which Noah accepted.

In addition to Noah, the Duke has another assistant: a dragon-man with an armadillo-like shell on his back named Garin. Garin is very cheerful and outgoing in contrast to Noah's quiet and shy demeanor, but the two have gradually become pretty good friends.

One quiet evening, Garin is involved in an unfortunate incident. On his way home, he is accosted by a shadowy figure that he can't tell much about. The attacker casts a hex that steals Garin's mouth and transplants it onto his own face. He then mentions something about a dragon's mouth providing him power before fleeing.

Garin manages to hide his disfigured face until he returns to the library, where he explains in writing to Noah and the Duke what happened to the best of his memory. The three of them decide to try and figure out why possessing a dragon's mouth would provide anyone power. In the meantime, they look for a way to restore Garin's mouth so that he doesn't spend the rest of his life speechless and eating through a straw.

(See, I told you it was weird!)
  • ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    ...If he has no mouth, then how can he eat, even through a straw?
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    By discreetly going to the hospital and having a little hole poked in his face under anesthetics.

...In my defense, it was 1 in the morning. :P
  • I actually kind of like the start of this. The idea of someone who can take a physical feature, without leaving behind any carnage is interesting to me.

Ha, so I hate to be that guy, but what about female characters? Just curious.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Darn. Knew someone was going to notice that.

A couple of other human characters were going to be female, but I've also toyed with the idea of making the Duke of Snakes the Duchess of Snakes.
  • It's not really a big deal to me, but it's something I've become more aware of it lately :P I suggest, right now, to write what feels okay for the story and then sort those details.
  • edited 2012-08-05 02:35:04
    The user and all related content has been deleted.