I SUDDENLY WANT A VIEW-MASTER

edited 2012-08-04 04:21:31 in General
but WHY

those things aren't even that fun

"oh look, a 3d picture!"
Tagged:

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I had a Rugrats View-Master card about ten years ago.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Do they sell those, still?

I remember they where a stable of every class room for small kids and even waiting rooms, but I don't think I've even looked through one in ages.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I had a bunch of View-Master reels when I was little, but I don't remember what any of them were.

I know my brother had a bunch of Discovery Channel ones like 10 years ago, though...
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Justice42 said:

Do they sell those, still?

I remember they where a stable of every class room for small kids and even waiting rooms, but I don't think I've even looked through one in ages.
    I think they do. They always kind of bugged me as a kid because they were no where as neat as real cartoons
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Oh, it is on now:

• I remember my dentist's office had one of those and I always wanted one of my own. Apparently they still make them but Mattel decided to stop making scenic discs in 2008.
  • I had ALL the View-Master things

Even the thingy that projected big versions of the pictures on the cards
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    For some reason I have a vivid memory of being like 3 and playing with a View-Master projector in the upstairs hallway (it was the only place dark enough, during the day) while my parents ate Jiffy Pop downstairs.

Sometimes I'm tempted to pick up some Jiffy Pop, just because it seems like it'd be fun to pop, but we only have a ceramic-top stove and I've heard they can't be used with those.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Man, Jiffy Pop. We haven't had that in years, partially because of the whole "smooth top stove" thing. We have gas now, so I should try it. 

There's also gas hot plates you can get that run on butane if you have to have gas. Alton Brown used them on Good Eats all the time, and I got my brother one for Christmas back when we still had the smooth-top stove.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    I don't understand how that would make a difference. Heat is heat
  • edited 2012-08-05 22:23:20
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Jiffy Pop is sold in an aluminum pie pan with an expanding foil top on it. Unlike regular pans, an aluminum pie pan is really thin, and so it heats up really, really fast. Hence, it's a lot easier to burn the popcorn or even set the grease on fire rather than pop it if you're trying to use it on a smooth-top stove. I've heard that electric Calrod stoves (the normal kind) are iffy as well, but still better than nothing.

Alton Brown, genius that he is, made his own popcorn rig out of a mixing bowl and foil once. That might actually work better than the thin aluminum in a Jiffy Pop tin, and it may well be cheaper, too.

I remember my dentist's office had one of those and I always wanted one of my own. Apparently they still make them but Mattel decided to stop making scenic discs in 2008.

My dreams of owning 3D Ponies are crushed once again.
  • KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    So you want a device that shows you the bare minimum of information and entertainment when you push a button

Just go to Cracked.com

epic lols!

BURN!