Sleep habits and bedtime routines

edited 2012-07-25 11:03:33 in Talk
Because we need a thread about SLEEP.

I noticed something interesting a while back: I've become so accustomed to waking up sometime during the night that if I do end up sleeping the whole night through, I feel "cheated".

It was unintuitive at at first, but I think I get it now: I wake up in the night more often than not, so when I wake up the first time, I expect to be able to go back to sleep. If I sleep until the alarm goes off, I don't get to go back to sleep, so I feel less satisfied even though I've gotten the same amount of sleep as if I'd woken up once.

So yeah. Talk about sleep in this thread
Tagged:

Comments

• TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    I'm always sad if I go to sleep too early.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.

I'm making a serious effort to go to bed and get up earlier. Seems to be working. Gradually.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    My job has me temporarily on a diurnal schedule.

I say "temporarily" because this internship ends in a couple weeks, at which point I'll have two weeks or so to get myself back to being nocturnal in time for Autumn Semester.
  • Don't you have to be diurnal for sch--

...oh, right.  I am not a paragon about this.
  • edited 2012-07-25 15:12:58
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I'm supposed to be diurnal myself, since my start time is supposed to be 9:30 AM unless I've got an appointment to go to. But I've been having problems going to bed before, oh, 2 or 3 on the morning. 

You can kind of guess what a few days of going to bed at 3 and waking up at 7 will do to you...

• I become disorientated and get an iron-y taste in my mouth if I fall asleep too late and wake up in a few hours. Like, even worse than if I would have just stayed up.
  • edited 2012-07-26 01:28:06
    You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    ...I was so rushed this morning that I didn't even cover the other half of the title. Bedtime routine!

For a long time, admittedly, I didn't really have one, but lately I've been doing this:
    • Set alarm on phone
    • Send Anonus "good night" message, turn off computer
    • Check and make sure alarm is set on phone
    • Watch half an episode of PPG (this is why I don't record the episodes that run the full half hour)
    • Check and make sure alarm is set
    • Get in bed, read for 15-30 minutes
    • Check and make sure alarm is set
    • Lay down to go to sleep, checking first to make sure alarm is set
  • 1. ???
    2. become sleepy
    3. go to sleep
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My routine: 
    • Turn off computer/DVR/TV
    • Make sure alarm is set
    • Brush teeth and such
    • Put on CPAP mask and start the pump
    • Lay down to go to sleep
    This is subject to change, of course, but that's the basic plan.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You know what's bizarre? I developed my habit of checking the alarm multiple times when I was in high school, then managed to break it last year when I started using my cell phone instead of my ancient alarm clock. But now I do it with the cell phone too!
  • edited 2012-07-26 06:29:21
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    1 Tell Ozzy good night
    2 goof around for a few hours
    3 (optional) get a good night's sleep.
  • edited 2012-07-26 07:18:27

1. Stay on computer until my parents make me turn it off (sometime around 11pm)
    2. Go to my bedroom and sit in bed doing whatever on my phone until I think I've had enough (this frequently happens well after midnight)
    3. Try to sleep, with varying and unpredictable degrees of success from night to night, until my phone goes off at 7am to ensure that I am awake (most of the time I already am)
    4. a) Get out of bed, have a shower and a proper breakfast and generally get ready long before I have to head out the door at 8:30am or b) Stay in bed and flip through my Google Reader items until I have to try and rush everything together in half an hour or less
  • edited 2012-07-26 07:18:39
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    My sleep schedule is normally like 12:30 AM to 8:30 AM. 

last few weeks have forced me to sleep and wake closer to a normal 9 to 5er would.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    5:30 AM - change into dressing gown, brush teeth
    5:45 AM - lie down in coffin
    1:45 PM - get up from coffin, do evil indoors until sundown
    do you sparkle?
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    I'm not Twilight; I'm Gilda. :|
    I see.
  • Never be with0ut a Hat!
    (2010 self)
    I spin ar0und 27 times be40re getting int0 bed.  Als0; I always say my night-time prayer be40re g0ing t0 bed.
  • I say good night to people online (usually it's whoever I'm RPing with on TVTropes and Tum8lr, and 8oney through email, sometimes it includes people in a megathread on TVT if I've 8een posting in one), set the alarm, 8rush my teeth, get some water in case I need it in the middle of the night, open my media player and put on my Homestuck playlist, do a Sudoku or read a 8it, turn out my light, and go to sleep.
    So I seem to have developed a semi-regular bedtime routine.

Basically, 7 hours before I have to get up, I brush my teeth and get my jammies on and everything and get in bed...with my tablet. Then I continue whatever I was doing online for a while--30 minutes to an hour, usually. Then I say good night to my online friends and lay down to sleep, keeping the tablet next to me so I can use it if I wake up during the night.

Sometimes, if I feel I need some alone time, I'll say good night to everyone before I lay down with the tablet, but not as often.
  • edited 2012-09-24 18:34:48
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I finally have semi-fixed my sleep cycle, at least for the moment. Added to my sudden burst of creativity, it feels amazing.

I should go and wrestle a bear now. Mind you, I would have to be on friendly terms with that bear so that there were no hard feelings on either side, but I think I could manage. Yes. I want to befriend bears, then defeat them in unarmed combat. I feel that excellent.

Joking? Maybe. But only about the bears. Otherwise, I feel great.

I'm going to go for a walk, then write a little more. Good evening, everyone!
    My sleep schedule was regular, albeit nocturnal, up until last week, then jury duty had to go and throw a wrench in things.
  • edited 2012-09-24 18:38:29
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Nocturnal schedules are strange to keep up. They drain you of a lot of potential energy, but the ability to be relatively alone is sort of a perk—not always fun, but sometimes rather relaxing.

That being further thrown into whack sounds jarring, and particularly bad if you have to make judgements.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I am unsure as to whether you refer here to the animal (adorable but imposing) sort or the human (hairy but affable) sort there, but either way.

One recent quirk of my sleep has been how I cannot control when I wake up. I simply do. I can maybe sleep an hour or two longer, but if I wake after five hours? I'm getting no more than seven. And strangely, I'm still rested. And that's good.
    I grab and hold things when I sleep, usually pillows, and I generally can sleep with no fewer than two comforters. I like making myself a cocoon.
    I haven't used stuffed animals since I was 15 or 16, but my cat is usually with me...
    But doggies don't purr~
    Genets do. Get a genet.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    There are times when I cuddle with a blanket and pretend it's CA.

I don't let my dog in my room. I used to but he knocks over the trash...
  • ^ Aww...

My sleep schedule abruptly went to shit again. I'm not quite sure how it happened, but it sucks.
    Anonus said:

There are times when I cuddle with a blanket and pretend it's CA.

Heh, sometimes I cuddle with a blanket and pretend it's you!