At least 12 killed at Dark Knight Rises showing

edited 2012-07-21 18:10:26 in Talk
Deadliest shooting in America since Fort Hood took place shortly after midnight inside an Aurora, Colorado theater.
Tagged:

Comments

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    :<
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Yeah, heard about this on NPR as it's all they'll talk about, really.

One of my (younger) co-workers explained how she would have been ready with a gun to take out the perp. Our manager (who handl;es guns quite regularly) had to break it to here that chances are she wouldn't react as she was describing while under fire.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wonder about the motive.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    The Premiere in Paris has been cancelled because of this massacre.
  • edited 2012-07-20 12:49:03
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

The Premiere in Paris has been cancelled because of this massacre.
    That seems pretty damn extreme. Have they commented on why the massacre made them cancel the premier?
    No

Just that it has and there won't be any interviews with Nolan or any of the cast.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Justice42 said:

Yeah, heard about this on NPR as it's all they'll talk about, really.

One of my (younger) co-workers explained how she would have been ready with a gun to take out the perp. Our manager (who handl;es guns quite regularly) had to break it to here that chances are she wouldn't react as she was describing while under fire.
    Some years back I read a book by the guy who pretty much came up with the science of profiling and he made the single best argument against the death penalty I've ever heard. He stated that the death penalty deprives those like him in his field of a resource to study and understand for the sake of prevention. 

But for someone with concealed carry at the moment this massacre was occurring? Knock yourself out. Whatever it takes to stop him. (And this isn't an argument for C/C, it's an example. We're going to see every argument related to it laid bare and beaten like a dead horse for the next six months.)

Huh, odd. It's not like it's expected that anyone else is going to target theater are anything.

Unless something has changed in the last couple of hours, they're not sure if this guy even had much in the way of a motive.
    Well, there's his age. And the question of how he got a hold of tear gas, and a gas mask, and a flak jacket.  Not to say that it's impossible for anyone to acquire these items but I'm really wondering if he's a veteran. 
  • edited 2012-07-20 13:22:14
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

"But for someone with concealed carry at the moment this massacre was occurring? Knock yourself out. Whatever it takes to stop him. (And this isn't an argument for C/C, it's an example. We're going to see every argument related to it laid bare and beaten like a dead horse for the next six months.)"

Oh, we where all fine with the prospect of her giving it her best shot (no pun intended). 

But we all imagine she was quite a bit more confident of her ability to assess the situation and put a bullet in someone's head than the reality of being in crowded, dark theater, that's just had a tear gas canister and someone shooting into it outa the blue would really allow.

Well, there's his age. And the question of how he got a hold of tear gas, and a gas mask, and a flak jacket.  Not to say that it's impossible for anyone to acquire these items but I'm really wondering if he's a veteran. 

From what I've heard, he has no military background, or really anything that fits a profile for this sort of thing.
    Quite a bit more. If she's never experienced tear gas, which is something the military includes in basic training, she'd think she was breathing red hot ashes. That's what it felt like to me. It feels like you can't breath but you have to anyway and it overrides all your other senses where it's safe to say that if it's your first experience, you will be in no shape to draw a firearm and fight back. 

You can build up an immunity to it but that's an unrealistic proposition. The only folks I know of who've done that are the one ones n the military who regularly administer such training. 
    Oh, good. I hope so. We don't need another black mark against us, especially after Fort Hood. 
    He was a 20 yr old PhD student at some Medical university.
    Oh okay, earlier he was reported as 24. 

Quite a bit more. If she's never experienced tear gas, which is something the military includes in basic training, she'd think she was breathing red hot ashes. That's what it felt like to me. It feels like you can't breath but you have to anyway and it overrides all your other senses where it's safe to say that if it's your first experience, you will be in no shape to draw a firearm and fight back. 

You can build up an immunity to it but that's an unrealistic proposition. The only folks I know of who've done that are the one ones n the military who regularly administer such training. 
    Yeah, said co-worker is a relativity small, 24 year old asian girl. She has handled a gun before, but she's never been shot at or, most likely, had to suffer through tear gas. Her attitude to the situation, while admirable, is more likely to get herself killed than they guy with the body armor.

Still, I don't we had issue with her TRYING per se, we just felt talking about it at breakfast is much different from being there.

Anyhow, NPR said the guy wasn't military. They caught the guy alive, so unless he refused to talk, we'll probably know more as the days go on.

He was a 20 yr old PhD student at some Medical university.

Interesting. I had heard 24 as well off the Radio. 
    Sorry, he is 24.
  • Yeah, said
    co-worker is a relativity small, 24 year old asian girl. She has handled
    a gun before, but she's never been shot at or, most likely, had to
    suffer through tear gas. Her attitude to the situation, while admirable,
    is more likely to get herself killed than they guy with the body armor.

Also, I feel like though her intentions are good, could she really go through actually killing someone even if it was to protect other people?

Anyway, ugh, yeah. This crap :/ I remember having a discussion in Philosophy class that shootings like this (and mass murderers in general) seem more common in the U.S. than other places. Not that they're unique to America, but happen more frequently here. I don't know how true that is though because I haven't seen data on it and such.
    Well, in the UK

A double digit mass murderer happens about once every decade.
    We definitely have a problem here that needs to be identified and addressed, that's to be sure
  • This... is terrible. Why the hell would anyone do that at a frickin' movie?
  • Because loads of unsuspecting people would be there.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-07-20 15:17:14
    Also, apparently the man said he "was the Joker" and had dyed his hair green to look the part, as well.

Christ, the last movie was not meant to be replicated.
    Holmes, a graduate student at a nearby college with a clean arrest record, entered the movie auditorium wearing a ballistics helmet, bullet-proof vest, bullet-proof leggings, gas mask and gloves. He detonated multiple smoke bombs, and then began firing at viewers in the sold-out auditorium, police said today.

Holmes was apprehended within minutes of the 12:39 a.m. shooting at his car behind the theater, where police found him in full riot gear and carrying three weapons, including a AR-15 assault rifle, which can hold upwards of 100 rounds, a Remington 12 gauge shot gun, and a .40 Glock handgun. 

If this is what he was armed with, it explains a lot.  Some news outlets are saying smoke bombs, others tear gas. 

It doesn't excuse the news media from embellishing the story. An AR-15/M16 is a deadly weapon but it can not "hold upwards to 100 rounds."  
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    They might have been thinking about what the 44 Minutes shooters did, where they modified an AR-15 to use a drum magazine.
    Oh, I see. That's still alarmist reporting which irritates me. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

I don't think I've ever wanted to hit someone quite this badly.

I seriously just want to knock that stupid grin off his face.

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    I guess you could say that the whole thing was a gas

...Sorry
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut

I guess you could say that the whole thing was a gas

...Sorry

No. Way too soon.

Thanks for the useless gesture here, AMC. We're all very impressed. Making it so fans can't cosplay at an anticipated movie premiere will really have a retroactive impact on a single, yet-unexplained outbreak of violence by one single disturbed individual.

Hell, bring in the TSA while you're at it. Can never be too safe, you know.
  • I read on IMDB that the shooting lasted 6 months. Why didn't they just leave the theater?
  • edited 2012-07-20 22:47:10

inkblot said:

I read on IMDB that the shooting lasted 6 months. Why didn't they just leave the theater?

Funny, but still too soon.

I'd give it a week or so before jokes are ok.
    Grrr

The BBC are interviewing my old university lecturer and hes spouting the same tired old bullshite.
  • And what pray-tell does that have to do with anything?
    Well, he said that the killer was unable to tell the difference between reality and fiction, and this was reinforced by the fact that the killer may have played computer games.
  • inkblot said:

I read on IMDB that the shooting lasted 6 months. Why didn't they just leave the theater?

Let me just copy what I told Country Pumpkin on IJBM2, I don't feel like typing this twice.

Do you have any idea how profoundly unfunny you're being right now?
    This is like, the opposite of humor. The polar opposite. If Dave Chapelle was standing in the same room as you when you said this, he'd turn into an accountant.

I love how for some goddamn reason it's perfectly acceptable to make jokes about tragedies the day after they happen now, and everyone expects a chuckle at their dark and edgy humor. You're not funny. Stop trying to be.

In short, this kind of "ooh look! I can make fun of people who died horribly this morning!" is not funny, and it's not going to be funny any time soon. Neither from you nor from the eight million jackasses on my Facebook page who think it is.

• Well, he said that the killer was unable to tell the difference between reality and fiction, and this was reinforced by the fact that the killer may have played computer games.

Well your lecturer is an idiot, but people always try to use tragedies as political weapons. It's saddening but not terribly surprising.
    Well your lecturer is an idiot, but people always try to use tragedies
    as political weapons. It's saddening but not terribly surprising.
    But but hes a criminal psychologist..
  • Look, whenever someone says "I blame the video games!" or a variation thereof, I am intensely skeptical. Mostly because in the rare event that a video game is involved, it tends to be less "this game/movie/whateverthefuck was so horrible it caused this man to go on a shooting rampage" and more "this was an intensely disturbed individual who probably would have gone on one regardless, also he played video games".

• {Criminal psychologists} ⊊ {Idiots}
  • edited 2012-07-21 04:27:54
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, all the mental champions that thought Doom and Quake were the end of society as we know it back in 1999 are coming back out of the woodwork. I'm not happy about it, either. :P
  • Frankly I'm more pissed at the plethora of people who think that this is a great time to crack jokes and show us all how EDGY their AWESOME COMEDY is.

If

y'know

you couldn't tell that already.

• THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, it's kind of too soon for that, too. Reminds me of some of the really tasteless one-liners that were making the rounds after the Waco siege in 1993 ("What A Cook Out" and such like).
  • I heard the shooter posted something on 9GAG that he was going to do that. That's why I stick to 4chan.

Why the hell am I friends with these people.

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I'm glad I haven't stumbled across too many of those; bad enough that this happened at a place I'd been to a whole bunch of times and remember fondly. (Does saying that make me selfish?)
  • Not really. I'd be grateful I wasn't there, either.

I've got relatives who are in Denver at the moment, but I checked in with them quite some time ago and they're all okay.