The Big Book of Heapisms -- Discussion & Submissions

edited 2012-07-18 16:08:51 in General

So I noticed just now, when using the term "yesquoting" that we have a couple things here that we say and do (memes, turns of phrase, and so on).

I think all forums have this, but ours is small enough that I think we can perhaps make a list of these things.

REGULAR MEMBERS

these are people who like come here and chat often and stuff.

• Anonus: Popularized the Trash Heap and created this forum. In addition to creating YOUR KING and his child, he also created the fictional media company ABC Lionsgate, which was originally known as ABC Inc. Is Central Avenue's boyfriend. (listman's note: no affiliation with "Anonymous", the 4chan subculture)
  • Boney: god of all heapers. Caused the virgin births of the owners of every site enjoed by Heapers, past, present and future. Spoke to Anonus in a dream and pointed him to his destiny to create HH. Left the amount required to pay for the site in the bank account of lee4hmz. Genetically enginered Central Avenue using sugar, spice and everything nice. Surgically implanted a love of heavy metal into Imi's brain. Was the zombie that bit Jumpy. Gave birth to himself. Told Vriska about Homestuck. Trained the pack of squirrels that raised Haven from birth. Hurled thespacephantom into the future (possibly). Rubbed minnesota against adjacent states. Baked and served deathonabun. Invented the robotic cephalopod.
  • Imipölex G: One of the major contributors to the original Heap. Is attracted by weirdness, navel contemplation and (infamously) breast fetishism. Likes music, especially hard rock/metal. Wishes to write an epic novel but so far only has a huge pile of notes.
  • Justice42: Mod of the Heap, General of all things religious/occult/mythical, loyal servant to the hangout, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a baby daughter, husband to a weirdo wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 
  • kingCrackers: formerly known as Kraken, scourge of the seas and Knight of the Black Sun. Fascinated by myth, folklore, superheroes, and fantasy. Currently serving mandatory military service in Singapore. 
  • Lumine: cephalopod-furry cyborg angel courtesan invented by Boney.
  • Super Läzuli: Writer of this list. Likes dragons, superheroes, lasers, jellyfish, music, hip-hop and animu. Can often be found replying to several threads in a short timespan. Lives in that part of Pennsylvania where there are more trucks than people. Aspiring radio DJ.
  • Sredni_Vashtar (formerly JHM): Early contributor to the Motherheap. Master of gratuitous-yet-correct punctuation and abuser of the word "maugre." Watches weird cartoons, reads horror stories, plays music, mopes. Currently writing....something.. 

TERMS

• Anorak: Anything we fan about/obsess over that is generally considered mundane. This particular term is not unique to us. Also note the derivative "anorakia". It should also be noted that this term comes from a kind of raincoat. Can also refer to a person (eg. "That Imipolex is such an anorak!")
  • The Motherheap/The Original Heap: The thread "Trash Heap of the TVTropes Forum", on the associated forums on the site of that name, wherein the term "Heaper" was first used. That thread later spun off into this site, but the two are now mostly severed.
  • Heapbooru: This website's official associated image board. Containing humorous and surreal pictures (click "posts" to be taken to the gallery).
  • YNTKT/yntkt: Short for "you needed to know that", used after making an inane post, often about one's personal life. It is not expected that one do this, it's just popular to do so.
  • Level Grinding: Comes from when the heaper Lumine started keeping track of everyone's post counts and assigned us all "levels" based on them. "Level Grinding" then became a synonym for posting silliness or inanity (or even just the word "grind") to "level grind" to a higher post level. The term has its roots in JRPGs.
  • The Spam Filter: vanillaforums' (the forum software's) built-in spam filter. Occaisonally tripped by the odd heaper being silly.

IN-JOKES

• The Carbuncle/The Derp Lizard: Mildly humorous picture of the Pathfinder (Dungeons & Dragons 3.75 edition) monster The Carbuncle, a lizard-like creature with a gem on its forehead and a stupid expression. Better known as the Derp Lizard. Created by Super Läzuli, popularized by Justice. 
  • The PARDAY BUS: A bus that was partied in, metaphorically speaking. Later illustrated by Jumpingzombie.
  • Allan, Ken's Best Friend: An amusing picture of a doll that is absolutely loaded with unintentional(?) homosexual undertones. All of Ken's clothes fit him. How he knows that it is probably best not to ask.
  • The Hellephant: Not unique to HH, but a picture of an enormous black smoke cloud vaguely resembling a demonic elephant.
  • Imipoints: Points handed out to or deducted by heaper Imipolex G. They do not have any actual value aside from measuring one's Imi-osity. Other heapers have their own versions, such as Squidpoints for Lumine, and Lazulipoints for Super Lazuli.
  • teal deer: a picture of a teal deer, used as a visual shorthand for the "tl:dr" acronym.
  • tumut: not a word, but in fact an emoticon meant to resemble someone flipping you off with their eyes closed. Comes from Homestuck.
  • Orgone: The fringe theories of "Doctor" William Reich are an endless source of amusement for some heapers. Including their keeping the reptilians at bay.
  • Whirly Times: Parody of My Little Pony OCs, claimed to be the greatest of all time, and the victim of many an art-theft.

ANORAKIA

these are the things we like (listman's note: you do not by any means have to like all or any of these things to be a Heaper, they're just things a lot of people here are into).

• Fonts: self-explanatory
  • Homestuck: Sprawling MS-paint drawn webcomic by Andrew Hussie.
  • My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic: Flash cartoon popular with quite a lot of people, and the latest reboot of the MLP franchise. Worked on by Craig McCracken's wife until recently. See also; the brony subculture.
  • The Legend of Korra: sequel series to Avatar: The Last Airbender.
  • musicspamming: People (most often Frictional_Minnesota) posting links to songs on Youtube with no context. A fun activity for all involved.

STORIES

• The Stuck Series: Series of books written by the heaper Tre.
  • chef and waiterman: Surreal ongoing story written intermittently by Central Avenue.
  • YOUR KING and his child: Similar story written by Anonus.
  • The Psychadelic Squid: A character invented by Imipolex G, assumed to be a squid. Can warp time with his sexeh tentacles. Later made the subject of a poem by Yarrun.

Further contributions are very welcome.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    "Anorak" is actually a proper slang term, but yes, I think that there is a certain jargon at use around here.
  • I actually meant to annotate "this is not unique to us" but I forgot to.

Anyway I only heard the term once before before coming here (in the context of trainspotters), so I think it fits.

• edited 2012-07-15 20:19:44
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    Ooh, neat! (pulls out the Grand High List of Trash Heap Memes)

Well, okay, they're more in-jokes than slang terms, but we should definitely have an entry about the carbuncle.
  • carbuncle?

this must be something from the Motherheap

oh hey

The Motherheap should totally be on here.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    THE PARDAY BUS

You needed to know this.
  • explanations should be given, too. I wasn't around for anything with a Motherheap origin.

I'll also make entries for the assorted works popular around here. The Ponies, the Homestucks, that kind of thing.

• edited 2012-07-15 20:31:31
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    You forgot already? Unbelievable! :O

Just messing with ya. It's my fault for not saying anything like "aka Derp Lizard."

• ...oh I'm an idiot.

for some reason I read that as "barnacle" but not...I don't even know.

Parday Bus: a bus we, uh, party in. Created by Jumpingzombie who also illustrated it.

Might wanna mention YOUR KING and his child, a series of surreal dialogues by Anonus, if he hasn't disowned it or anything.
  • edited 2012-07-15 20:34:30
    And relatedly, CA's magnum opus: chef and waiterman of the Five Singers Restaurant.
    And my own Psychedelic Squid.
    Psychedelic Squid is a character I made up. He used to warp time with his sexy tentacles. Yarrun wrote a poem about him, too.
  • Added.

Also if you guys could link to these things you're telling me about that'd be awesome. Though I'm not gonna make you.

Also I'mma add bios for the regulars, so if you want a short description of yourself, write one, but keep it true to life and make it short. I'm not writing anyone's but mine because I don't want to accidentally offend anyone.

I don't know if I exactly qualify as a regular, but I think I can summarise my involvement here pretty well:

Sredni_Vashtar (formerly JHM): Early contributor to the Motherheap. Master of gratuitous-yet-correct punctuation and abuser of the word "maugre." Watches weird cartoons, reads horror stories, plays music, mopes.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    ALL OF KEN'S CLOTHES FIT HIM
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Anonus: Popularized the Trash Heap and created this forum. In addition to creating YOUR KING and his child, he also created the fictional media company ABC Lionsgate, which was originally known as ABC Inc. Is Central Avenue's boyfriend.
    Imipölex G: One of the major contributors to the original Heap. Is attracted by weirdness, navel contemplation and (infamously) breast fetishism. Likes music, especially hard rock/metal. Wishes to write an epic novel but so far only has a huge pile of notes.
    I have one short sentence to add, as Imipolex G inadvertently reminded me:

Currently writing... something.
  • edited 2012-07-15 21:06:58
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    kingCrackers: formerly known as Kraken, scourge of the seas and Knight of the Black Sun. Aspiring storyteller. Fascinated by myth, folklore, superheroes, and fantasy. Currently serving mandatory military service in Singapore.
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut
    Boney: god of all heapers. Caused the virgin births of the owners of every site enjoed by Heapers, past, present and future. Spoke to Anonus in a dream and pointed him to his destiny to create HH. Left the amount required to pay for the site in the bank account of lee4hmz. Genetically enginered Central Avenue using sugar, spice and everything nice. Surgically implanted a love of heavy metal into Imi's brain. Was the zombie that bit Jumpy. Gave birth to himself. Told Vriska about Homestuck. Trained the pack of squirrels that raised Haven from birth. Hurled thespacephantom into the future (possibly). Rubbed minnesota against adjacent states. Baked and served deathonabun. Invented the robotic cephalopod.

Yea, praise be upon him
    ^PRAISE HIS NAME
  • Frictional_Minnaneywhatever: Only poster to be probated a full week. Embeds random videos. And stuff. I dunno. (*Shrug*)
    ^eh likes musics

Justice42: 
    Mod of the Heap, General of all things religious/occult/mythical, loyal servant to the hangout, Marcus Aurelius. Father to a baby daughter, husband to a weirdo wife. And I will have my vengeance, in this life or the next. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I don't have a description, I'm just here to mention level grinding, tumut, and tripping the spam filter.

And the ridiculous number of other injokes and local memes that accumulated over the course of this site and the motherheap, like the Hellephant, YNTKT and Imi points.
  • I don't recall "tripping the spam filter" but the rest will be added momentarily.
    Fouria G gets 20 Imipoints for remembering Imipoints.
  • Only injoke/forced meme I think I'm responsible for is Allan.
  • edited 2012-07-15 21:43:58
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I don't think I've created any forced memes here.

I feel a bit left out now.
  • edited 2012-07-15 21:45:26
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    *places Imipoints in a piggy bank*

The spam filter isn't a meme, it's just a thing that exists here.  Occasionally people trip it by spamming too many shitposts too quickly.

I don't think I've created any forced memes, though I may have perpetuated some existing ones.
  • I don't think any of our memes are forced per se.

Forced meme is like when you go to 4chan and pretend to be nine different people to spread your meme.

Anyway.

imipoints and the hellephant added under injokes, yntkt and level grinding under terms.

I think tumut might qualify as a forced meme.  I know where it comes from, obviously (emoticon used by undyingUmbrage to taunt Dirk in Homestuck here), but in practice it's just a thing that traditionally gets spammed in "Last post wins."
  • oh right tumut

I'll make a thing about that.

And things Heapers like in general.

What'd be a good name for that section? "Anorakia"?

Sounds good to me.

Are you going to list anorakia specific to each listed heaper?
  • Mostly shared stuff.

eg. Homestuck, MLP, Typefaces.

I'll list some if enough people ask for me to put them up.

I also wanna put Touhou up but that's just wish fulfillment on my part. :B

I vote Touhou gets an entry.
  • Nobody here really talks about it though.

Do we even have a Touhou thread? I should start one if not, I have a cool thing to share in there.

• edited 2012-07-15 22:26:23
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Inane's music spamming should probably go under Anorakia (as logically would mine, but whatevs). Especially Björk.
  • edited 2012-07-15 22:58:42
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Note on the term "anorak": The reason why that particular kind of raincoat is referenced is because of its popularity with trainspotters—the original freaky obsessives.
  • I think all I'm known for around here at this point is popping in to tumut now and then and typing like Vriska, since I'm not as active due to a variety of reasons (mainly a raging Tum8lr addiction and a desire to resist the urge to spam you guys with gifs of Karkat headdesking and videos of Ross 8eing a derp on Friends.)
    More head-desking spam would improvethis site, methinks, but whatever you feel is best is best, my dear.
  • Yarrun: Arrived in the late period of the Big Four. Has a strong fixation on certain kanji symbols, particularly that for light, despite having no aspirations to learn an Asian language. Used to have a voice in my head named Watered Down/Arthur Fetchman who occasionally mocked me and made lewd comments towards females. He...moved away.

Probably should put something about Wailord in here. And the Teal Deer. And the incredibly sexy Martian that Anonus used to have.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Twirly Times: mega-popular MLP OC that everyone loves and wishes they thought up. Unfortunately, this has led to petty jealousy and outright theft (tracing and recoloring) with the worst offender being "Whirly Times." 

Twirly Times: mega-popular MLP OC that everyone loves and wishes they thought up. Unfortunately, this has led to petty jealousy and outright theft (tracing and recoloring) with the worst offender being "Whirly Times." 
    I'm smiling my ass off over here. Did you flip the pony names on purpose? 

Also: Orgone is a thing. It's the only thing keeping the Reptilians at bay.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    Justice42 said:

I'm smiling my ass off over here. Did you flip the pony names on purpose? 

(yes) 
This discussion has been closed.