General Web-Comic talk

Comments

• Don't get me wrong. I care. I'm so glad that something's actually going right for Paz. I was on edge when she was doing her confession of love bit because I was afraid that she'd get shot down because NOTHING goes right for Paz.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

I understand the need to make a chapter that's different. It's just that the last chapter was already kind of light on the main plot,

What is the main plot?
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Is this the main plot?

Is this just fantasy?

Caught in a romance, no escape from reality

Open your eyes, look up to the skies, and seee
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    MetaFour said:

I understand the need to make a chapter that's different. It's just that the last chapter was already kind of light on the main plot,

What is the main plot?
    The Court is doing obvious jerk ass things...maybe.

Coyote is doing not so obvious jerk ass things...absolutely.

There's this ghost just sort of hanging around by a river.

Annie's dad is a jerk! What the heck is his deal?

Anyhow, EVERYBODY START SMOOCHING! 
    Court doing jerk ass things: First explicitly referenced in ch 17, though foreshadowed in chs 3 and 14.

Coyote doing jerk ass things: Coyote wasn't even introduced until ch 14. After his introduction, his untrustworthiness and danger was shoved into the background until ch 39.

Ghost by the river: introduced in ch 8. Near the end of a chapter about dead robot birds, weird fairies, and a Native American psychopomp.

Annie's dad being a jerk: introduced in ch 6. Referenced intermittently since then.

This is a story that took its sweet time to introduce major plot points. So I fail to be surprised that it takes its sweet time dealing with those plot points.

Remember chapter 13, "A Week for Kat"? Relationship drama was introduced to the comic before Coyote was. Remember that time Annie tried to make some plans to deal with the ghost by the river, and Kat was all "Nuh uh Parley and Smitty kissing is totes more important than that"?
  • edited 2013-11-12 18:07:11
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I can dig that the comic is trying to set it's own pace, but at the same time we had this big momentum going on that ultimately has stalled for a chapter or two. 

It's not a huge deal, but at the same time it sort of feels like we have all these major plot lines that aren't really going anywhere, or at least haven't for the last couple chapters.

I was also kinda disappointed in the 'Chages' chapter. While it didn't surprise me that that Annie wasn't picked for medium, that she was picked as Forest medium seemed like a big deal until it was revealed that she would still live at the court.

I guess it just feels like all these plot-lines have been setup and that their conclusion is sort of ever looming, but we keep having to wait because it's time to see Annie hop around in the forest and not really address the underlining issue of Ysengrin's memory problem in favor of watching her beat up some forest folk.

And it's Siddell's story and he can do whatever the heck he wants with it, and if I can stick with Girl Genius week in and week out through the frickin' castle and Mechanicsburg stuff, then I can certainly put up with this. 

At the same time, it makes for a strange dip or plateau in the story's pacing. Sort of like how in Homestuck we had Cascade and then suddenly act 6 was "Now meet the Alpha kids!"

That's a valid criticism. It's just that I had to make peace with that aspect of the comic's pacing way back in ch 7. When Annie wanted more information about her parents' past, and she learned that her best friends' parents used to be BFFsies with her parents, and she didn't press them for any more information

It's been with the comic from the very beginning, so it annoys me when people react like it's a recent problem.

Can you imagine how slow ch 8 must have felt for serial readers at the time? All those new characters introduced, with no indication that any of them had anything to do with the rest of the story. I don't have to imagine. (Did you know that the comic only updated twice a week back then?)

Aw crud, how long has it been since we heard from the Tictocs? Too long, I say.
  • edited 2013-11-12 18:17:14
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    That link you posted was to Chapter 30, which is where I stopped reading.

Wait, no, I stopped at page 810.

Aw crud, how long has it been since we heard from the Tictocs? Too long, I say.

Oh man, agreed!

"Ysengrin's doing something weird with that robot bird!"

"Ysengrin's my friend! I don't care! Look what I can do with my blink stone! WHEEEEEEEEEE!"
  • edited 2013-11-12 18:20:00

Kat being the robot angel was also a thing that looked like it was going to go somewhere and now Robot is just sort of having a bromance with Shadow.

I mean...I'm sure this will come into play later, or what have you, it's just that certain chapters made such a huge deal about it and not it's just like, "Yep, Kat likes robots and robots like Kat. Robot also likes Kat but he has a friend who was recently turned 3-dimensional and he's focusing on that right now.
  • edited 2013-11-12 18:59:22
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.

"Ysengrin's doing something weird with that robot bird!"
    "Ysengrin's my friend! I don't care! Look what I can do with my blink stone! WHEEEEEEEEEE!"

In all likelihood, Coyote removed Ysengrin's memory of tampering with the bird, so questioning Ys about it wouldn't do any good.

True, but Annie didn't know that.

Of course, she may have been preoccupied with something else when she was told.

I can't seem to remember when the faeries informed her Ysengrin had eaten them...
  • Eaten? That's a bit strong. I just kind of assumed that he...uh...crushed them to...

On second hand, eaten sounds a bit less terrible.

I seem to recall the faeries implying that Ysengrin was hungry when he found them.
  • edited 2013-11-12 19:34:41
    For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Red mentioned that when Annie and Kat were taking her to get a haircut. http://gunnerkrigg.com/?p=320

Oh man, that was one of my favorite sequences ever. Like, first the girls are going on foot on a moving sidewalk, then on the next page they're in a subway train, then on the next page they're riding bikes. And the fans were all "How far away can that barbershop actually be? Tom quit dragging it out so much!" 

And then in the next page, the girls ARE IN A CARRIAGE PULLED BY A ROBOT HORSE and all was right with the world.

OK, going with Annie dropped the ball on this one. 

She's taking an irate faerie for a haircut, she can certainly file this information under "things to keep in mind" and maybe bring it up to Ysengrin when she befriends him...

But I guess that's like two years later, or something.

STILL, kinda a strange plot point to just sort of let wither on the vine.

God, it's so weird to chapter hop.

I knew the first couple chapters where way different with the art, but even up to 15, it's night and day compared to now.
    Is there ever a good time to tell someone as tempermental as Ysengrin "Oh hey, I know you were lying what's up with that?"
  • edited 2013-11-12 19:50:48

Well, I'm sure there's an easy way to broach the subject now that they're good friends.

I'll grant the the answer would probably be an earnest "I don't remember", but it'd at least be nice to see it addressed.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    this might just be me but honestly i like the lack of any overt plot in GC

i enjoyed the early chapters when it was just second shadow, constructing a robot walking device, casually walking around the school when suddenly minotaur, who happens to be a nice guy named Basil, etc.

not that i dislike getting an explanation for stuff, i like that there is an ongoing story, but it would be a shame if Tom abandoned the kind of meandering 'and then this!' non-structure in favour of something more boring

is it bad that i feel like the third item down is probably the most important thing on here?
    yes, it is
  • More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
    GC is awesome and also I just like to have fun with stuff and I only criticize it if it starts to grate on me or offends me or something.
  • edited 2013-11-13 04:44:28
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    You know what's a neat comic that I was following since its inception as an MSPA forum adventure?
  • Man, Order of the Stick has been on fire lately. Nearly every comic for the last 60 strips has had some kind of double-cross or shocking revelation or major character death or incredible badass moment.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Naney showed me this when the comic part started way back when. He said that it looked quite promising; I agreed, but ended up forgetting it in my bookmarks...

I think that I will be reading this very soon.

Tachyon said:

this might just be me but honestly i like the lack of any overt plot in GC

i enjoyed the early chapters when it was just second shadow, constructing a robot walking device, casually walking around the school when suddenly minotaur, who happens to be a nice guy named Basil, etc.

not that i dislike getting an explanation for stuff, i like that there is an ongoing story, but it would be a shame if Tom abandoned the kind of meandering 'and then this!' non-structure in favour of something more boring

I agree with this.

Then again, I am but a third of the way in, so far. So I cannot be 100% certain how I will feel about this by, say, Chapter Forty-Five. But I like how it moves. It is an unusual way of telling a story and I admire that.
  • You know what's a neat comic that I was following since its inception as an MSPA forum adventure?

(*high five*)

man i've been spamming that comic here for quite a while now
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Have you?

I'm sorry, my memory is super-spotty.
  • it happens

i was getting a wee bit frustrated because nobody seemed to pick up on it

w/e
  • edited 2013-11-15 03:07:35

Your post with not one but two Gunshow comic references made me smile.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I thought "mother-fucking breadcrumbs" was Hark! A Vagrant?
    it is, i assumed Justice wasn't referring to my post

^^You're right, I'm probably thinking of some other Gunshow duck related comic.
    There have been many.
    WMG: Lucky Penny is a prequel to the regular Johnny Wander
    That's some wild guess, because Johnny Wander is autobiographal. Usually.
    that's why it's a WMG :p

the more likely explanation is that kid-George is an injoke but i like my idea better

I have begun my epic quest into Kill Six Billion Demons, wish me luck.
    It's not even that long. You'll be done in half an hour.
    Pangur: That comic is pretty neat. I like it.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    This is a really good comic. I need to catch up on it when I'm not leeching public wi-fi.

Also, small detail, but the bird-hand thing is really clever.
  • poppy is pretty much my fave ongoing webcomic as of this moment.

I'm not sure if the latest Gunshow Comic is part of a larger set or what, but I kinda hope it isn't.

It's very uplifting for a Gunshow comic strip.

I will be very surprised and kinda disappointed if Annie of all people has any serious hang-ups about Kat and Paz other than maybe feeling a little hurt Kat kinda hid it from her.
    i somehow doubt that she will

that's from a narrative perspective, it just doesn't seem like the kind of story Tom would do

i feel like there's a lot we don't know about Annie tho, which makes her seem unpredictable at times