General Web-Comic talk

Comments

• edited 2014-07-03 06:23:09
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Wittgenstein is best role-player.

^ Even better.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Cucumber Quest is great.

Also, the lead is adorable. If I were about twelve I would probably have a serious schoolboy crush on him. He's just such an endearing little goof.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I actually thought the lead was female at first, he was so cute.
    I did too, for a moment.

...it's weird when you look at an illustrated character and think the same thought you might a living person, in this case specifically, "He'll look more like his mother than his father when he gets older."
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Cucumber Quest is good, although I take long breaks from it to let story arcs complete, so I can read through them all in one big chunk.

Princess Nautilus is my favorite character, but everyone is great.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I recently re-read the entire archives. Somehow I hadn't noticed before just how often Princess Nautilus forgets important things.
  • Gigidigi's expressions are the best, forever.

Also, I haven't read Penny Arcade in a while but they designed a Magic card and

I didn't realize until just now it was based on the Pac-Man watch running gag--it even has a little crack that represents the mouth.
    I'm reading the first few pages, and I'm already wondering who would voice Cucumber...has to sound like an 18-year-old boy, but still match his cute looks. I'm kind of at a loss, honestly.
  • edited 2014-07-07 13:05:31
    Let me tell you. About Fallen London.
    I'm pretty sure he's supposed to be about 12 or 13 and the school they were gonna send him to was the equivalent of high school. (Of course, all that's been stated is he's "not nine".)
    Ah, I see.
    They keep bringing up his sister. 

I Believe This Will Be Important Later
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Just a tad.
    Wow, even the monsters in this are cute. ^_^
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Comic for October 10, 2002

Started reading Achewood.

I like Phillipe and Roast Beef so much, ohmygod
    They are great.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    so

right now I'm keeping up with Gunnerkrigg Court, MS Paint Adventures, The Order of the Stick, xkcd, Saturday Morning Breakfest Cereal, Penny Arcade and A Softer World (starting to reconsider this one though), I'm still subscribed to the feeds for No Rest for the Wicked, Dead Philosophers in Heaven and The Perry Bible Fellowship in the vain and futile hope that they update again someday, I used to read Erfworld until it started doing that text-update thing that I couldn't get behind, Looking For Group until I just stopped for reasons I can't recall, I've made abortive attempts to catch up with Achewood, Girl Genius, The Adventures of Doctor McNinja, HERO, and some others I can't recall, my favorite webcomic was 8-bit Theater way back when, I still check on VGCats once in a while in spite of myself, and in general I don't have enough webcomics in my Feedly and would like to get some more.

that little rundown was more for my own benefit than anything
  • so

right now I'm keeping up with Gunnerkrigg Court, MS Paint Adventures, The Order of the Stick, xkcd, Saturday Morning Breakfest Cereal, Penny Arcade and A Softer World (starting to reconsider this one though), I'm still subscribed to the feeds for No Rest for the Wicked, Dead Philosophers in Heaven and The Perry Bible Fellowship in the vain and futile hope that they update again someday, I used to read Erfworld until it started doing that text-update thing that I couldn't get behind, Looking For Group until I just stopped for reasons I can't recall, I've made abortive attempts to catch up with Achewood, Girl Genius, The Adventures of Doctor McNinja, HERO, and some others I can't recall, my favorite webcomic was 8-bit Theater way back when, I still check on VGCats once in a while in spite of myself, and in general I don't have enough webcomics in my Feedly and would like to get some more.

that little rundown was more for my own benefit than anything
    Dude, Dr. McNinja's doing Judy's intro arc right now. You can just start at the beginning of the current volume, assuming that you've gotten through the Mega Mark volume.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I really recommend pushing through with HERO (despite the fact that it hasn't updated in such a long time), if only because of the gorgeous art style. It's a pretty interesting webcomic, though I unfortunately can't comment on what it's about too much since I haven't read it in a very long time, hence my focusing on the art. It helps that it can be binged pretty quickly, maybe just one afternoon spent reading. Or less, probably. This also reminds me that I want to check out some more of what inspired the comic, like Invisible Cities, which sounds up my alley...
  • edited 2014-07-24 22:47:00
    So, I am very far from caught up with Cucumber Quest, I think, but I get the feeling that the Nightmare Night has a decidedly more interesting motivation than your average generic ZOMG Doomsday Villain. No idea what it is yet, but there are telltale signs of something going on.
  • edited 2014-07-24 22:55:11
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    I read the first two hundred pages of Cucumber Quest, and am now rereading and going to catch up.

Nautilus's dad is best dad.

And any comic where this can happen is great:

King Kelp is great. I love him.

Also Peridot. She is such a dork trying so desperately to seem cool.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)

Page 314 has the best facial expressions in all of cucumber quest.
  • edited 2014-07-24 23:19:27

Aliroz said:

Page 314 has the best facial expressions in all of cucumber quest.
    Just wait till you get to page 513/514

So, I am very far from caught up with Cucumber Quest, I think, but I get the feeling that the Nightmare Night has a decidedly more interesting motivation than your average generic ZOMG Doomsday Villain. No idea what it is yet, but there are telltale signs of something going on.

Definitely agree with you on the Nightmare Knight.
  • im on page 490

could see it coming, but still good to see
  • finally the other shoe is picking up the pace, i was beginning to fear that it would never drop....
  • edited 2014-07-25 01:48:22

oh sweet im caught up

thought there'd be more tbqh
    ^^ And now I am as well!

On a related note, I just read the pages and explanation for the most recent April Fools Day site overhaul, and I am definitely now of the opinion that Gigi is a very cool lady for whom I have a lot of respect. It's hard to make fun of yourself in that way and still spin it into something so positive. Go her.

*falls over laughing at the "Jerk" bit*
    The anecdote in his bio from the Bacon-ised version of the comic is actually kind of cute, in a bizarre way.
    Also, I keep hearing Almond's dialogue in Rainbow Dash's voice.
    While not familiar with the show, they do seem to have similar personality types, although Almond is a bit more acerbic and, uh... "bloodthirsty" might not be the right word...
    Also, Peridot's "I MISSED" freak-out will never not be sad and adorable.
    Both Almond and Dash are the one character in their series who's most eager to solve problems with violence.
  • fight. dream. horse. love.
    TC: MaN eVeRyWhErE i LoOk... 
    TC: aLlS i SeE iS mOtHeRfUcKiN mIrAcLeS. 
    TC: It'S sO sPiRiTuAl, AlL tHeSe mIrAcLeS aNd ShIt. 
    TC: oK lIkE jUsT bE tAkIn tHiS fUcKiN tItS bOtTlE oF fUcKiN fAyGo I jUsT cRaCkEd Up OpEn. 
    TC: AnD hOw It'S bEiNg AlL lIkE hIsSiNg AnD sHiT. 
    TC: mOtHeRfUcKiN hIsSiNg MaN, wHo WeNt AlL aNd ToLd It To Do ThAt?
    TC: HoW wOuLd It EvEn Do ThAt, It'S cRaZy. 
    TC: iT's A mIrAcLe. 
    oh gamzee, where did it all go so wrong...?
  • edited 2014-07-26 17:45:11
    Drug withdrawal, long-repressed resentments, and a genetic predisposition to violent paranoia, likely aided by the goading of supernatural entities more psychically powerful and certainly far more malevolent than himself.

We actually have a separate thread for Homestuck and MSPA things, due to size, density, etc.
    I recall Hussie saying we all should have expected Gamzee to be a homicidal maniac, because he's a clown and what else can you expect from a clown?

As usual, it wasn't entirely clear if Hussie was joking or not.
    http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-183/

Bwahahahaha. She actually made a hackneyed SpongeBob reference funny. :D
  • Noe, that I know Gigi D.G. does all of the text in Cucumber Quest by hand, it makes makes like this so much more impresssive: http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-313/
    Almond's is the best one, although I love how precise Carrot's cursive is.
  • edited 2014-07-27 14:33:44
    Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    Alright, I'm caught back up with Cucumber Quest

Spoiler:
    Oooh, that sneaky Nightmare Knight, pretending he still cares about world domination even while he protects Trebleopolis from Noisemaster and Mutemaster
    http://cucumber.gigidigi.com/cq/page-491/

omg this is the cutest thing ever ^_^
  • edited 2014-07-29 05:43:14
    Let it be known that listening to :zoviet*france: while reading Rice Boy is the most weirdly appropriate thing ever. Seriously, try it sometime.

Also, Gerund is adorably dopey.
  • Did Apothecia just fucking end like that?

This is page 50, the kickstarter said it'd be 50 pages, but I need one more panel
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    ^ I just read all of that.

...DAAAAAAAAAAAMN.

Also, I really liked that ending. I don't think we needed to see anything else.
  • Yeah, it's complete on its own, and more would probably spoil the effect.

But still.
  • Oh, it's not over.

...this is gonna get ugly.
    Holy crap, Jason Shiga is doing a serially-updating webcomic.

Holy crap, one of his newsposts said that chapter 5 is going to be the most depraved thing he's ever put to paper.
  • edited 2014-08-02 03:06:21
    OK, uh...

Everybody should be reading Evan Dahm's Overside stories. Rice Boy is a great introduction, and it's the first that he wrote, but in terms of art and world-building I think it just keeps getting better from there. His early style is wonderfully simple and strange, but the way his later work combines such quirky, whimsical designs with really loving detail is nothing short of breathtaking.

It's just such a beautiful world that he's made. I kind of want to live in it, but I think that I would be a little afraid that I would end up executed by frog-zealots or kidnapped by bird-assassins.

Which is to say that I love this to death.