I never really understood the appeal of TGWTG

KJIKJI
edited 2012-06-21 21:50:42 in General Media
Tagged:

Comments

• KJIKJI
    Yeah... yeah!!! hell yeah!!!
    that first tweet should read as "You see the kind of thin-skinned, ignorant cunts I gotta deal with on a daily basis?" That's some rather improper grammar
  • I never got the appeal either.
  • edited 2012-06-21 22:06:30
    :|
    He had a nervous breakdown yesterday on Twitter. I can't tell when he's sarcastic and when he's actually calling himself a whore that needs to be killed.
  • KJIKJI
    I would love to know 

lol

• KJIKJI
    i probably shouldn't derive so much joy from watching a man have a very public mental breakdown

but still, lol
  • KJIKJI
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    KJI said:

i probably shouldn't derive so much joy from watching a man have a very public mental breakdown

but still, lol
    You really shouldn't.

Such a thing is evil.
  • I recall being linked to something of theirs years ago and feeling absolutely nothing about it.

Like. I literally had no reaction.

Oh "The Guy With The Glasses"

I'm with Super Lazuli on this.

Who exactly is flipping his shit? I barely recognize these people's pseudonyms. No way would I know one by name. 
  • Who cares?

I absolutely hate entitled internet celebrities, and this guy is just pushing all of my buttons right now. So I'm going to close this before I start having to chop tomatoes to vent frustration again.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This is the guy who makes The Spoony Experiment, and even among TGWTG fans, he's something of an acquired taste because of his controversial opinions on certain things. I've only ever seen him in crossovers, myself, since I've never really had much interest in watching his show.

He wasn't always this bad, though; this is getting close to how bad The Amazing Atheist was (and may well still be).

• I've watched his videos on the Highlander series. Nothing more, nothing less.

He seemed rather sane back then, but that was a while ago.
  • In all honesty, I used to watch The Nostalgia Critic's stuff and Spoony's stuff (I liked Wrestle! Wrestle! and the SWAT 4 LP, among other videos), but I stopped watching out of a lack of interest (though that was driven by me forgetting to re-bookmark Spoony's site when I had to get a new computer, I think).
  • I still watch Nostalgia Critic and Todd in the Shadows. Used to watch Linkara, but now he shouts too much instead of being funny.
  • I still watch Linkara, for the record.
  • edited 2012-06-22 00:54:34
    :|
    I only watch the Nostalgia Chick. Maybe I'd watch the others if they'd tone down the over-the-top rage at comic books and children's movies.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I watch a few people there, but mostly it's just not my kind of humour.
    I still watch NC and Linkara if what they're reviewing sounds bad enough, but recently I've been watching Todd, Chick, Phelous, Oan and such. I'm also currently trying to get caught up on Film Brain's stuff.
  • inkblot said:

I only watch the Nostalgia Chick. Maybe I'd watch the others if they'd tone down the over-the-top rage at comic books and children's movies.

So much this.

I do not find people getting mad at bad media entertaining in the least.

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    When I was a teenager I loved Nostalgia Critic's work, though now I can take it or leave it most of the time. I still check him out if what he's reviewing is something I'm familiar with, though. Same with Linkara.

I still watch Todd, though, and I watch Chick on occasion too--her videos seem to have less of the unfunny ranting and screaming that makes most of the site's reviewers intolerable.
  • edited 2012-06-22 02:31:40
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    As a case in point: I used to think the Critic's review of The Garbage Pail Kids Movie was some of his best work. Then I actually found the movie on Netflix and watched it...and let's just say that after some of the crap the Cinema Snob and Oan have reviewed, GPK is really just another bad 1980s B-movie that's more dull than anything else, and it didn't deserve the freakout it got.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Oancitizen's work is really fun for precisely that reason: The films that he reviews are so outside of anything that the better part of the site covers that it makes everything else just seem tame by comparison. He also finds more to actually say about what he reviews from a critical standpoint than a lot of the others.

Actually, genuine critical acumen is pretty much the defining and unifying feature of the more amusing TGWTG people, or at least the ones that I like.
    From what I can tell, Doug is perfectly capable of providing nuanced, intelligent commentary on stuff when he wants to (and he's started providing actual reviews of recent movies alongside the Bum Reviews, which is nice), but with the NC, he's taken the whole pissed-off manchild thing and run with it. He just really likes doing shtick, and I suppose that's OK if you're into that.

The other reviewers I mentioned, though, tend to go in depth a lot more and keep the shtick to a minimum. Phelous is the exception there, but his shtick is more goofy than angry most of the time and I kind of like that.
  • The sadness will last forever.
    I only like Cinema Snob. Besides that, I have little to no interest in TGWTG.

• lee4hmz said:

This is the guy who makes The Spoony Experiment, and even among TGWTG fans, he's something of an acquired taste because of his controversial opinions on certain things. I've only ever seen him in crossovers, myself, since I've never really had much interest in watching his show.

He wasn't always this bad, though; this is getting close to how bad The Amazing Atheist was (and may well still be).
    Yeah, It's kind of sad really, I think as another person on a different website put it, he really didn't handle communities well. He couldn't distinguish trolls from his actual criticizing fans, and threw them all under the bus till the natural (and kinda justified) aggravation drove a lot of patient fans away, leaving him with a lot of trolls.

Honestly, he used to be a guy that made amusing videos and actually liked making those videos, but that's changed.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

It seems to me that one person finds a simple concept, makes it successful, and then everyone else thinks "hey, I can do that too!" Angry reviewing seems to have really taken off, I think, with the AVGN (who I still think is the only one worth watching.) Step 1, find something you don't like. Step two, launch into profanity-laced invective where everything is a fuckity fucking-fuck. 

It makes me wonder how many monotone, creepy reviewers are going to follow up redlettermedia now. 

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Lumine said:

*glances at the fourth wall nervously; waves*
    Depends really, If I happened to feel the same way about said media, and they happened to bring up points about said media that are smart and realistic.

Like, let's say, any rant about Twilight ever. bringing up the point that it's a horrid niche self-fulfillment wish fantasy and is continuing to further social bad concepts to the demographics by which it's targeted towards.

I don't mind people voicing that opinion in a video, because it's kinda how I feel as well.

but occasionally you'll find the smart reviewer, who brings up new and interesting points about it, in which case, enjoy them!
  • In my opinion, as of late, the Critic tends to be more critical in his reviews. There's a large difference between his earsplitting Tom and Jerry review and his current stuff. He'll even mention stuff that some of his movies do well.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-06-22 23:46:06
    Yarrun: Yeah, he's gotten much better since 2008-2009. It was not without some consternation from longtime fans, who mainly tuned in to see him go all Daffy Duck on things, but I think it's for the best because at some point, you have to put substance behind the shtick. 

And I think Kickassia was the turning point; that didn't have much of a plot or even a concept, relying on shtick to hold it all together. Even seasoned improv veterans have trouble pulling that off! Caddyshack is the best example of a good comedy I can think of that anywhere near as thin of a plot; it had so many heavy-hitters of 1970s improv and sketch comedy that it ended up being really, really funny. You're not gonna get that with people that are actually better at hammy acting than improv, and I think it also led Doug and Rob to put a bit more effort into their reviews as well.
  • lee4hmz said:

Yarrun: Yeah, he's gotten much better since 2008-2009.

Seriously? I might watch his new stuff, then.
  • Lumine said:

*glances at the fourth wall nervously; waves*
    Please don't turn into "The Paranoid One", Lumine.
  • So it's a site that has people getting really angry at bad movies and books and music?

That has to be the most stupid thing I've heard of since I was introduced to the concept of
     reality television.

So it's a site that has people getting really angry at bad movies and books and music?

That has to be the most stupid thing I've heard of since I was introduced to the concept of
     reality television.
    To be fair, some of the movies, books, and music, are merely mediocre.

Yes, I realize that's even worse, what of it?
  • edited 2012-06-23 02:45:21
    Problematic, sure, but reading the Content Violations Forum on TVT has reminded me that some really bad crap is out there.

(Not that TGWTG reviewers would probably touch that, but still.)
  • The only one I watch is Todd in the Shadows and he's not perpetually angry. I like him for that-- he manages to review things well and be humorous without it all seeming like he's just going on a tirade about how much something sucks (and when he does do that it's because a song really does suck that badly, no joke).
  • edited 2012-06-23 04:55:43

(Not that TGWTG reviewers would probably touch that, but still.

Oan and Snob have indeed reviewed some of the things that got cut, particularly several of the nastier entries on the old Euroshlock page.
  • edited 2012-06-25 15:06:32
    Also, to add to some of my earlier thoughts...I think the big problem with angry reviews is that, in a lot of cases, the movie just isn't bad enough to justify the overreaction. Most of the movies NC's done aren't really awful; they're more "why did I watch this dumbed-down crap when I was younger". They're boring, badly paced or full of plot holes, but by and large, they're also mediocre at worst. Even The Garbage Pail Kids Movie is a victim of its reputation, to some extent -- there were plenty of bad movies just like it in 1987. 

As for what the actual worst films he's done are? I'd say North (for its massive amounts of unfortunate implications), Quest for Camelot (because just like HGL did with Monster A-Go-Go and AITV did with Attack of The The Eye Creatures, Warner Bros. Just Didn't Care), and possibly either Blank Check or Kazaam (unfortunate implications again, and Shaq just cannot act).
    You can tell the quality of the reviewer by how well they string individual bits of profanity together

What the FUCKING FUCK, I was sitting right there about to save the fucking princess and then BOOM DEATH OUT OF NOWHERE. Holy FUCKING CUNT SHIT.  What a fucking pile of FUCKED UP FUCKING FUCK. FUCK FUCK FUUUUUUUUUCCCKK

see that's the mark of a good review right there. You can apply it to anything, improving its resale value on the used review market
    Somehow the NC is boring for me now.
    There's certainly an art to using profanity, and I actually don't like the AVGN that much because I think he overdoes it. While NC did resort to cluster F-bombs quite a bit in the early days, it wasn't every other word like AVGN, either. 

That's also one of the things I like about Linkara. He won't use the harsher swears at all, and he only starts cussing if he's really pissed (character derailment is probably his biggest pet peeve, and the screamiest reviews of his are also of things like Elseworld comics where you know the characters are going to be off somehow).

Also...I was just watching the original "They Just Didn't Care" host segment from MST3k, and it's probably the angriest few minutes of the series. Even Monster A-Go-Go didn't piss them off this much.
    I like AVGN, too bad I rarely watch his videos anymore.
    that's because he's not putting any out, in order to make this movie of his
  • lee4hmz said:

That's also one of the things I like about Linkara. He won't use the harsher swears at all, and he only starts cussing if he's really pissed (character derailment is probably his biggest pet peeve, and the screamiest reviews of his are also of things like Elseworld comics where you know the characters are going to be off somehow).

That was one of the things that originally drew me to Linkara. Back in the day, I was new to the internet and wanted to avoid the high levels of swearing (even now, I make a point to avoid using swear words unless I find it necessary for a poem or story). So, Linkara was a blessing to me. All the rage of the Critic with none of the potty-mouth.
  • I never really liked any of these guys except NC and I think he's way better when he's not NC and speaks as Doug Walker and, you know, shows that he actually knows about films and stuff.

Also, I have an special place of HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE for Linkara. 

haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate
    Linkara sucked since he put stories in his reviews.
  • ^Pretty much this.