Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom

edited 2012-06-07 17:31:11 in Talk
ITT:

We talk about why an 2D Irish chicken would say "Fuck off Queen of England".

Now the Irish relationship with the UK is complicated as it is more than just a post independence state being angry at the former master since the Republic of Ireland was in the United Kingdom itself.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • squid, I just told you like ten minutes before that. :/ Nothing wrong with a serious discussion in the Heap. (Even if it did start out with "2D Irish chicken" for some reason.)

More topically...is it understood when one says "Irish" in the UK they mean the Republic of Ireland and not North Ireland? I'm getting that sense from your post, but I'll admit to not really being as familiar with the issue and how it's talked about as I should be.
  • edited 2012-06-07 17:44:40
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    More topically...is it understood when one says "Irish" in the UK they
    mean the Republic of Ireland and not North Ireland? I'm getting that
    sense from your post, but I'll admit to not really being as familiar
    with the issue and how it's talked about as I should be.
    It depends whereabouts in the UK though, a lot of people in Northern Ireland IIRC consider themselves to be both British and Irish in the same way someone from London may consider themselves to be both British and English.
  • edited 2012-06-07 17:49:13
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    @ Haven: No, not at all; the term is sometimes used that way, but Ireland is the whole thing, and there are a lot of people in Northern Ireland who identify simply as Irish. (ninja'd by teh mighty whale)

As for why the Irish chicken would say such a thing, these are old, deep wounds, and still fresh.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Please stop apologizing, it's kind of cluttering up the thread.