What is Banksy doing for the Diamond Jubilee?

edited 2012-06-04 15:56:42 in General

Queen Ziggy is best Queen.

(*Because I've mad 69 threads so far and wanted a nice, round number*)

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    The official Diamond Jubilee logo:

Because nothing commemorates Her Majesty better than something a middle-schooler drew on her English notes!
  • edited 2012-06-04 16:02:29

^ ^ Could you stop with the HUGE VECTORS? They make the page take forever to load.

^ (*facepalm*)
  • edited 2012-06-04 18:08:19
    :|
    ^^ It looks like the album cover for an indie twee pop band, Maybe they're trying to make the 2012 Olympics logo look good in comparison.

EDIT: "The official emblem for The Queen's Diamond Jubilee in 2012 is the winning design following a national competition for children aged between 6 and 14.
    "
  • That's kinda sweet actually. :3
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    D'awwwwww.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    That's...a little better, I guess.

God save the queen
    The Diamond Jubilee
    Logo is made from children
    And England's Dreaming...

And that's all I got.
  • Justice42 said:

God save the queen
    The Diamond Jubilee

Logo is made from children
    And England's Dreaming...

And that's all I got.

D:
  • edited 2012-06-04 18:38:39
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ The Jubilee's dark secret.

Keep in mind that the Jubilee doesn't really need a logo as such, since in theory it's not really a commercial event so much as a commemorative celebration for a centuries old monarchy.  Obviously it's expected to sell stuff, but it isn't really expected to promote itself the same way the Olympics are.
  • edited 2012-06-04 18:53:21
    I'm just here to gay the place up

I think it woulda been better had they used Rainbow Dash shaking her plot like in that other image :P

Oh, and good 69'ing Naney :3

• edited 2012-06-04 19:02:55
    Justice that is the wrong pony for this thread!

• edited 2012-06-04 19:05:42
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Heh.

It was the lightning bolt that set me off.

Although maybe we need another pony.

Except everypony probably dislikes Diamond Tiara because she's written to be intentionally unlikable. 
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I liked her more in season 2.

I didn't, but she did have more depth.

Still obnoxious to me, though.

Anyways... to get back topic by talking about ponies more and keep everyone happy.

Fouria G said:

Keep in mind that the Jubilee doesn't really need a logo as such, since in theory it's not really a commercial event so much as a commemorative celebration for a centuries old monarchy.  Obviously it's expected to sell stuff, but it isn't really expected to promote itself the same way the Olympics are.

Honestly I don't even particulalry dislike the Jubilee logo. I just thought it was odd that they'd go the "childish" route for such a prestigious and royal event. Now that I know it actually was designed by a kid, it makes sense.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    What exactly was the point of having a contest for kids to design it, though? At least it makes sense with the "Doodle 4 Google" stuff.
  • edited 2012-06-04 19:42:38
    It was a Blue Peter contest.  Which needs no further justification, really.

But they probably wanted children to feel involved.
  • edited 2012-06-04 19:44:14
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ...funny, I thought of the Abzorbaloff via a mindleap, which is probably mean-spirited of me or something.
  • edited 2012-06-04 20:04:15
    Not really a mindleap, since that was also the result of a Blue Peter contest, albeit to design a monster for a children's show.  Although I think they could have made better use of the design that got chosen.  Primeval managed just fine with their contest because the writers didn't treat the winning entry like a joke.

But Blue Peter is basically a national treasure by itself.  It's actually more of a fixture of children's television than Who is.

Look at it this way: the Queen's Diamond Jubilee is a big deal whatever happens, so they couldn't really screw up promoting it no matter what they did, and in any case, the Union Flag and the St Edward's Crown were going to be more recognizable than any logo they came up with anyway.  So they could have added another name to the list of Royal Warrant Holders, or, more likely, fallen back onto an old favourite.  Which would have been an OK thing to do, but this was an opportunity to do something different and allow kids to feel part of something rather special.  This was only the second Diamond Jubilee in the entire history of the country, so this really was a very rare occasion, and it's not like there was a particular tradition in place.
  • ...funny, I thought of the Abzorbaloff via a mindleap, which is probably mean-spirited of me or something.
    Wrong second series Doctor Who episode :p
  • I'm just here to gay the place up
    That was a Dr. Hooves episode. Everypony knows that.