kingCrackers (and everyone else) learns to cook.

edited 2012-06-04 13:09:52 in General
And thus was this thread born.

So far I've made French onion soup, beef and lamb spaghetti, lamb stew, stuffed potatoes, and fried rice.

I'm planning on making Uzbek-style rice pilaf this Saturday night.

Are you cooking? If so, what?
Tagged:

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't have an oven, so I can't bake anything.

:<
  • edited 2012-06-04 08:13:45
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I like making chicken korma.
  • edited 2012-06-04 19:45:29
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Then let us meet on the dueling grounds...

...TO THE DEATH

FOR HONOR
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
  • All I have to say in this thread is that I have actually managed to burn water.

The trick is to put salt in the water while you boil it. When you come back an hour later, the water's gone and the salt's half-burnt on the bottom of the pan.

Heh, I've done that with boiled eggs.

Forgot about them completely until the water is gone and they being stove heated at high.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.

Okay so I forgot this thread existed. Bad thread host, bad!

I didn't use ANY of the right spices for the pilaf, improvising with whatever I had on hand. Still, my brother and grandmother seemed to like it. Hopefully I can get the right spices in Shanghai.

Cooking is kinda expensive to get into at first 'cause of all the spices.

No so bad after that, because then you have all these spices you can use.
    Uzbek-style lamb rice pilaf take two.

Results: mushy, but tasted better. Not sure what happened. 

The rice is mushy? There could be a number of reasons. Too much water, or perhaps it got cooked too fast.

I'd double check the method you used to cook the rice. Different types of rice cook differently. My Grandma once turned a pot full of medium grain rice into mush because she was trying to cook it the same way she does long-grain.
    Well on my grandmother's suggestion we put the pilaf in the rice-steamer despite my reservations.

That might have been it.

You're probably best just following whatever directions came with the recipe at first.

Good to see you're still trying. It took me forever to figure out the best method for cooking steak and some of my other recipes I like to make.

What is it with Grandmas screwing up rice?
    Well, they've been cooking on instinct for years, so I guess that their prejudices mean that they prefer cooking things in the way they prefer.
  • edited 2012-06-26 06:23:25
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Tonight, King Crackers cooked up roast lamb with mashed potatoes and fried onions. 

I marinated it from the morning to the evening, in a big blend of things including cumin, basil, pepper, red wine, raw egg, mustard, ketchup, vinegar, but barely any of those tastes made it into the meat itself for some reason. Oh well. 

I completely fucked up the temperature, causing the lamb to be under-tcooked, but we cut it into chops and put it in the microwave so the meat turned out alright.

The mashed potatoes took a lot of work, but everyone liked it, so that's that. Still not as creamy as I would have liked.

Fried onions were tasty, but a little too sweet for reasons I don't understand.
  • edited 2012-06-27 01:43:02
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Raw egg is interesting. I've never used it in a marinade. Makes me think whoever made it was going for a crust of spices or some sort, I don't think the egg would be conducive to helping the meet absorb flavor, but it might help the stuff stuck to the outside.

The microwave  turn out OK? I tend to use the stove if the inside of something isn't properly cooked. But the Microwave seems like it would be a lot faster.
  • edited 2012-06-26 18:41:30
    Yeah, it turned out okay. Left some tenderness to the meat in the end. 

I just really love eggs, I guess. I should stop putting it in the marinade.
  • I had deviled eggs once. I liked the way they tasted, but they made me sick.

THIS IS TOTALLY RELEVANT WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT

It actually is pretty relevant.
    Tonight, beef bourguignon.

I burned to ash a bunch of stuff and put it in the pot and then in the oven to cook. Didn't have tomato paste so I substituted double its volume in salsa. When I took it out, there were bits of black floating around and it tasted like ash stew. But then I scooped out the black gunk and added some salt and maple syrup and it tasted fine.

Personally, the taste was too liquorish for my liking, but my parents and grandmother seemed to love it.
    Spaghetti aglio olio.

Kind of oily, but I didn't ruin it.

So, I also tried my hand at beef bourguingonon.

Oddly enough, there's another recipe I do that tastes almost the same, better even.

One thing I'm going to different with the pot roast is cut the meat into 2" cubes like I did for the Beef bourguingonon and roast it at a lower temp (probably 300º) for about 2-2 1/2 hours and then throw in the veggies and cook for another 1 1/2 hours.

I might also do the mushrooms. Oddly enough, the pearl onions seemed to add very little to the dish and where just a pain to prep, not to mention one more thing to cook.

I'll grant that I used corn beef over bacon because Friday doesn't eat pork, but I still doubt that change would net me a dish that's any better than the pot roast. The pot roast is also just less effort-some to make, so there's not a lot I feel the bourguingonon has going for it over the roast.

I'm combining these three recipes

Hopefully the results will be awesome and not be suck.

After looking at the three, I've decided the Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery will be where I get most of my instructions. The other two are because I had a bunch of breakfast sausage I wanted to use. That will be the meat instead of bacon. I'm also adding broccoli and onions because I was hoping to get something out of this that resembles a full meal. 

The Scary Go Round/Bad Machinery recipe looks like a good basic way to do it right.  The other two just look kinda basic. At least once mentions it's best to pre-cook the pastry, but it doesn't mention for how long.

Here's some other recipe I improved, recently. The recipe itself was pretty easy, but I hate using dry stuff if I can help it, so I made some alterations. I'll go over it in the OM NOM NOM thread.