The Bowser you loved to hate

edited 2012-05-22 12:40:32 in General

www.powerofbowser.com

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

^^That's that creepy Bowser's laugh!

I'll admit, when I first saw the thread this was snowcloned from, I thought it actually said "The Bowsers you loved to hate."

• Bowser was an epic boss fight in 3D Land
  • edited 2012-05-22 14:13:11
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    I hate this version:

• edited 2012-05-22 20:07:16
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I saw it once. It seemed quite nonsensical.
  • edited 2012-05-22 20:59:28
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I remember seeing part of it on Starz! in 2001 or so and wondering what the hell I was watching. I remember a part with Yoshi, who looked nothing like he did in the games.
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ He was simply a Velociraptor.

The Super Mario movie would have started production around the time Jurassic Park came out, I think...
  • edited 2012-05-22 22:57:44
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    They both came out in 1993.

In fact, SMB came out about two weeks before.
  • edited 2012-05-22 22:59:31
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^ Oh. JP and Yoshi are a weird coincidence then. The Velociraptor wasn't a popular dinosaur until the '90s.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Wait a minute,

There was a Super Mario Bros Film?
  • edited 2012-05-23 16:29:10
    I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Yes, Whale, there was.

I only have two issues with it. The Devolution Gun defeating Koopa was pathetic. The other is that is that the Mushroom King didn't fully return to normal. In the movie, all the fungus was him. When he turned back, almost all the fungus was still there.(albeit, that would've taken forever to fix to shoot that scene, so it's justified)
  • The sadness will last forever.
    Bowser is cool. :<
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Well, I had spent decades forgetting the film
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    Truly nothing? Nah, it kept similarities. It also is the reason why the Luigi/Daisy pairing even exists. It also has the Super Jump Boots(Or whatever it was named in-game), and the Goombas being de-evolved Toads actually makes sense considering that... is actually pretty logical in the regular games if applied. They're both mushroom creatures.

It's not similar enough, I agree.

^ Heh.
    Not every game is. Just some. Some are pretty dark. New Super Mario Bros. kills Bowser, for example. As well as all 3 Paper Marios(the first one less so, but Super Paper Mario is dark throughout most of it).
    I don't see that as a bad thing. I like having non-over the top grimdark. That was a good example of it to me. :)

Atleast Yoshi made perfect sense. There's few human-sized dinosaurs beyond a Velociraptor.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, the SMB movie was devised by the people responsible for the Max Headroom franchise, which was about as cyberpunk as mid-1980s TV was willing to get. Cyberpunk probably would have worked for Metroid; not so much Mario.
  • I'm not big on most grimdark stuff.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    ^^For some reason the end of this article came to mind.
    Scrabble? Really? My brain just compressed itself into a speck trying to figure out how you'd make that work. I mean, this is the game they turned into a TV show, and the most interesting thing about it was the CGI board. :P
  • It'd have a viral advertising campaign called "spread the word".
    Oh my god. -dies laughing-
  • The 1985 film version of the board game "Clue" flopped (though it later gained a cult following).

That film is the shit.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Indeed.
    Clue was awesome. Best board game movie ever.
  • ^ Considering it's up against Battleship, that most likely isn't too high a hurdle. :P
    Don't forget both Dungeons & Dragons movies. They weren't bad by any means. Then again, it could have almost any storyline anyway, really. D&D doesn't have a "set story" outside of specific campaigns.

And true. Then again, has anybody actually seen it before judging?
    BATTLESHIP

From the company that brought you TRANSFORMERS
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Dark?

Irene said:

Not every game is. Just some. Some are pretty dark. New Super Mario Bros. kills Bowser, for example. As well as all 3 Paper Marios(the first one less so, but Super Paper Mario is dark throughout most of it).

Not to nitpick, but those games didn't exist at the time the SMB movie was made. The dark tone of that movie was definitely at odds with the Mario games that had been released up to that point.

Anyway.

Some things weren't meant to be metalized
  • edited 2012-05-24 13:44:31
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    This one is alright:

Anyway, I'm not really sure the Mario series had a properly defined tone back then. It was just a little blocky guy jumping around grabbing mushrooms, and you were free to imagine it how you liked.  Although I guess the music and the colour palette were more cheery than not.

Film was still probably shit though but yeah.
    The third game basically shoved you in hell during the end game, so... Hell with tanks, in fact. AND THOSE DAMN HANDS. :|
  • edited 2012-05-24 14:00:57
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    I think the first Mario games were mostly lighthearted and fun, but some elements were dark if you thought about them a certain way. Like how the manual for the first game said that Bowser King Koopa turned the Toads into bricks. Apart from that, though, there was nothing particularly grim.
    So basically, 1/8 of SMB3 was dark. As opposed to 8/8 of the movie.

Aaaaaaaaaah...why am I arguing about this
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

So basically, 1/8 of SMB3 was dark. As opposed to 8/8 of the movie.

Aaaaaaaaaah...why am I arguing about this

Because, the internet.
    SMB3 was also not 2 hours long. Well, for normal human beings.
  • edited 2012-05-24 14:47:53
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Even the games with darker bits are still grounded in a mostly colourful and upbeat setting.

Like, a lot of the levels in PM:TTYD are pretty gloomy and sinister, but you're still a cheery plumber in bright overalls accompanied by a party of friendly cartoon characters.  Also the dialogue is amusing.
    lulz