The Browser you loved to hate

Comments

• edited 2012-05-22 10:12:44
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I smell AstroTurf. There's no way people would be raving about IE, especially considering how much Chrome's market share has grown recently, unless Microsoft were paying them. Not only that, but MS is currently in the middle of a big ad push for IE 9...
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    A couple of my friends at school were talking about Internet Explorer 9 a while back. They said it still isn't as good as Chrome and Firefox, but it's actually pretty decent, if that helps anything.
  • Opera is the browser I love to hate.

IE has gotten much better but it isn't perfect. Chrome is pretty close, though it still goes bluh sometimes thanks to memory issues.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I remember being really annoyed with Opera about ten years ago, back when there was no Firefox or Chrome, since it had a number of fanboys who simply would not shut up about it. I was very much in the tank for Mozilla once I heard about it, and followed the alphas and betas pretty closely.
  • Tre said:

Opera is the browser I love to hate.

Y.

I love Opera.

Also I am on IE right now, but it's on school computers so this is like IE6 or 7, most likely.

• Opera does tab key funny.

Like, tab key doesn't just cycle through links and buttons.  It only cycles through buttons, and doesn't start where you were in the page, it starts at the top.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.

Opera is the only browser on a market that has the option of "block all pop-ups" that BLOCKS ALL POP-UPS

Every other browser on the market's pop-up option is "block all pop-ups except for the ones that are clever enough to sidestep this option which is pretty much all the malicious and annoying ones"

Seriously HOW HARD IS IT TO SET A SOFTWARE TO NOT OPEN UP ANY OTHER WINDOWS WHENEVER THE USER DOES NOT WANT ANY OTHER WINDOWS OPENED UP

...other than that Opera is an annoying, memory leaking pile of shit

• other than that Opera is an annoying, memory leaking pile of shit

Which is why people who make popups don't bother making an Opera workaround.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    So, because of work I pretty much use tons of IE9.

There are a couple aspects that are nicer than Chrome:

• My work VPN messes up my proxy settings pretty constantly, because Chrome just uses whatever IEs proxy settings are, it's a few more steps to fix this in Chrome.
    • IE is a bit smarter about what to do with certain files, though this equates to one less step as you can simply download the file in Chrome, then click on it in the downloaded file bar to open it in whatever program you want.

However, at home I use Chrome for EVERYTHING. 

IE9 is basically just trying to be Chrome, but they haven't figured out they need to put a damn spell checker on the thing.

Maybe if they did that, I'd switch back. 

Kinda a clever marketing attempt, though.
  • they haven't figured out they need to put a damn spell checker on the thing.

I use Firefox with Adblock Plus and NoScript. :]

Yeah, but that's the thing. I shouldn't have to rely on a plug-in or tweaking the software to simply turn all pop-ups off. This should be built-in.  Let me explain.

Imagine that you just bought a brand new mansion and you want to keep the thieving element out. Your new front door that came with your new mansion has a deadbolt on it, but it can be easily picked open by a toddler from the outside. So, In order to get the base functionality that your door and deadbolt should have had built-in in the first place, you have to order extra shit to attach to the door to make it do WHAT IT SHOULD HAVE DONE IN THE FIRST PLACE

It just blows my mind that for all these browser brands (save Opera), not a single one of them had a coder drop in a few lines of code that guarantees no other windows pop up. 

• lee4hmz said:

I remember being really annoyed with Opera about ten years ago, back when there was no Firefox or Chrome, since it had a number of fanboys who simply would not shut up about it. I was very much in the tank for Mozilla once I heard about it, and followed the alphas and betas pretty closely.

I thought Firefox is the browser with the stupid fanboys, who try to convert everybody to it and just won't shut up about it. At least, they are the only ones I ever saw.

In fact, that 's the reason why I refused to use Firefox initially.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-05-22 14:38:38
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-05-22 15:27:30
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Smug: Before Firefox became the "LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY BROWSER" browser, it was Opera all the way. I knew a couple of people on IRC that swore by it...of course, this was also at a time when the alternative was Netscape 4. :(

Netscape 4 never worked right under Unix. Ever. And Flash made things even worse because of a bad interaction with the JavaScript engine. By the time Firefox came out, I think I had given up and installed Windows 2000 just so I could use IE6. Things were that bad
  • lee4hmz said:

Netscape

Don't even get me started on AOL Explorer.
    Netscape past version 5 was based on Mozilla SeaMonkey and I think eventually Firefox itself, so those versions aren't too horrible. 4 was a joke, though. It had been patched over like a parking lot whose owners were too cheap or too broke to get it repaved properly, it hadn't really been updated to support CSS or the W3C DOM recommendations, and it required a lot of nasty hacks to get anything working even by 2000. People wanted to see it go as badly then as they want to see IE6 go now.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I wonder what the original context of that photo was
  • Massimo D'Alema is well known for his over-the-top facial expressions, IIRC he was a meme in Italy quite a bit before that pic became a meme all over the world.
    Hm.

It's like all is expressions are perfect for macros.
    The guy's italian? I thought that was Alex Trebek

Alex Trebek shaved off his mustache.

Presumably to look younger and more terrifying. 

INVISIBLE HUMAN HEART!
    Trebek, we meet again you mountebank

YOU DIDN'T PHRASE IT IN THE FORM OF A QUESTION!
  • I had no clue that was him.
  • ...other than that Opera is an annoying, memory leaking pile of shit

But that adequately describes every browser I've ever used.

Sans maybe Chrome, and I don't like using Chrome except when I'm out because I don't trust Google very much.

Also Maxthon, that was just a pile of shit in general.
    There was a time in the late 1990s and early 2000s when it seemed like everyone was releasing a "new" browser every so often that was just a reskin of MSHTML.DLL (the IE engine). Maxthon was one, as was Neoplanet.
  • Maxthon--inexplicably--came with this computer.

I am never, ever buying a display model again.
    Oh jeez. What make is it, how old, etc? 
  • It's a completely standard Acer laptop, but again, display model.

I know for a fact that employees were messing with this thing before I bought it, because not only was that on there, there's also a few folders I could never discern the purpose of that were empty when I got it.
    Ah. If I knew something were a display model, and it came with the install discs, I'd probably wipe it because who knows what's on that thing. 

It was arguably even worse back in the 1990s, when everything ran DOS and there was no security to speak of. It was real easy to mess up a display model then, if you wanted to.
  • I did wipe it, I'm referring to before I did.

Folders with such helpful titles as "sppoon root" (that's not a typo, I distinctly remember that one)
    Ah, okay, good. And wut.
  • And they were all empty.

It kind of creeped me out, tbh.

I'm glad I'm getting a fresh laptop for graduation. Something nicer, in the $300 range this time, not this $99.99 piece of shit.
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    "sppoon root" sounds like the title of a creepypasta. And now I want someone to make that.

Anyhow, I didn't know you could buy display model computers. From what I'm seeing here, this is probably for the best.
  • edited 2012-05-22 19:20:04

Mine was. Can't remember how much my grandpa payed for it, was in the $500 range.
  • Anyhow, I didn't know you could buy display model computers.
    You can if you know someone who works at the store.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    There was this guy who would frequent my kiosk.

Cheapest bastard you ever met.

We stopped laying out fashion magazines because he would rub the perfume samples on his armpits. 

'Round my place we only sell the displays if it's a discontinued model and that's the last one.
  • I should look into buying old display computers from teh Applez Store.
    Reposting this from the old Heap, since it seems like we're back up:

The old site's Discussions page in Netscape 4.8

It's so 1995 it hurts! :lol:

http://news.investors.com/article/612517/201205231849/google-browser-seeking-top-spot.htm

This might explain why Microsoft is trying an advertising campaign. 
    lulz