How do you feel about China Miéville?

edited 2012-05-16 12:39:03 in General
Because Penny Arcade doesn't like him.

The Verge
Tagged:

Comments

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    His name alone makes me want to punch him.

Seriously, what dude is named China
  • I enjoy his stuff. (With the exception of Kraken, anyway.)

This comic...if I didn't know anything about Mieville beforehand, I still wouldn't. The newspost isn't much better, but at least it says something besides "this is a person, he writes books, I want to punch him because."
  • He did the preface for my copy of At The Mountains Of Madness

I read a book of his, didn't make much of an impression.

What does he do to inspire face-punch-y-ness?
  • I didn't get Penny Arcade on Monday for that very reason.

I mean, Gabe's comment is funny, but still.
    Oh yeah, he did do that ATMOM preface, which wasn't bad.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I went to the Amazon page for the book when I saw that comic on the site.

Here's the description:

On board the moletrain Medes, Sham Yes ap Soorap watches in awe as he witnesses his first moldywarpe hunt: the giant mole bursting from the earth, the harpoonists targeting their prey, the battle resulting in one’s death and the other’s glory. But no matter how spectacular it is, Sham can't shake the sense that there is more to life than traveling the endless rails of the railsea–even if his captain can think only of the hunt for the ivory-coloured mole she’s been chasing since it took her arm all those years ago. When they come across a wrecked train, at first it's a welcome distraction. But what Sham finds in the derelict—a series of pictures hinting at something, somewhere, that should be impossible—leads to considerably more than he'd bargained for. Soon he's hunted on all sides, by pirates, trainsfolk, monsters and salvage-scrabblers. And it might not be just Sham's life that's about to change. It could be the whole of the railsea. 

I have to admit that I felt a bit punchy when I realized it had unsubtly redone bits of Moby Dick. The silly names don't help.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    There's no accounting for taste, as they say.
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    China Mieville is supposed to be one of the better sci-fi authors in the world today. I wanna read his stuff but I've never gotten to it.

...that's how I feel about him, I guess.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I see where the anger comes from in the comic. Without any explanation to what you're reading, it looks like someone just made up a bunch of words and started churning them at you. I can see how violence would be the immediate response. 

Not to say he might be a bad writer, just to say if you handed a Star Wars novel to someone who didn't know what the "force", a "Jedi", or a "Lightsaber" was, they would probably react with rage as well.
    "Force" and "lightsaber" aren't so strange. The force is a force and the lightsaber is a laser sword. "Jedi" is weird, but it's only two syllables, and "space samurai" would be awful.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Tattooine, Sith, Droid, Alderaan, Jawa.
  • edited 2012-05-16 20:01:00
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

^ This.  Plus the list just goes on and on. We all got to see visual aspects of this, and have some frame of reference. 

But if I just handed someone completely foreign to the ways of Star Wars a book from the New Jedi Order ark, I might as well be screaming "WELCOME TO STAR WARS, BITCH!" as they try to make sense of it all.
  • The other thing is, Mieville tends to use words like that without ever explicitly explaining what they mean. Which, personally, I love--it makes the elements of the setting feel more natural if you don't break for exposition, but let the audience learn them like any other new word--but it can certainly be disorienting.
  • all i can say is that he looks like grant morrison.
    I can't believe you guys are trying to provide examples of awful Star Wars words and you left out "Kashyyyk".

Three Ys? Fucking really?
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Hehe. A good point. 

How is that even a thing! Did someone try to romanize basicize Wookie and ended up with that?
  • is there *any* real language written with an alphabet in which letters ever show up three in a row?
  • edited 2012-05-17 22:04:22
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch" has 4 letter "l"s in a row, but only if you treat it as written in the 26 letter Latin alphabet, rather than the Welsh one (in which "ll" is a digraph included in the alphabet and represents an entirely distinct sound).
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    It's a village.

And yes, they made the name that long on purpose.  It was a publicity stunt by the railway station there.
  • edited 2012-05-17 22:52:26
    The force is a force

The funny thing is, by most definitions of the word (Except for maybe, "Anything that is able to make a big change in a person or thing."), this is wrong
    Well it's something that can be observed by a force its presence results in. You could just as well say that plants aren't green because they only reflect green light.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Not really, since "force" in  physics context is a technical term with a specific meaning and certainly doesn't denote... whatever it is the Star Wars force is supposed to be.  Just because something exerts a force doesn't make it a force.

This is silly though because "the Force" is basically like saying "the Power", it doesn't actually mean anything technical.
    It does what the plot needs it to do.
  • Gelzo said:

Well it's something that can be observed by a force its presence results in. You could just as well say that plants aren't green because they only reflect green light.

The difference is that plants are pigmented so that they reflect light in such a way so that us see them as green.

Fouria G said:

Not really, since "force" in  physics context is a technical term with a specific meaning and certainly doesn't denote... whatever it is the Star Wars force is supposed to be.  Just because something exerts a force doesn't make it a force.

This is silly though because "the Force" is basically like saying "the Power", it doesn't actually mean anything technical.

I suppoose, but you could easily argue for "Spiritual energy found in all living things that can be harnessed by living, sentient and sapient things in the form of telekinesis and other super powers"

or

"Thing that lets you become a wuxia character"
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast

is that

a real thing

Yes, Welsh is a real thing.

• edited 2012-05-18 13:55:14
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Orthography

Welsh is written in a Latin alphabet traditionally consisting of 28 letters, of which eight are digraphs treated as single letters for collation:

a, b, c, ch, d, dd, e, f, ff, g, ng, h, i, l, ll, m, n, o, p, ph, r, rh, s, t, th, u, w, y

In contrast to English practice, "w" and "y" are considered vowel letters in Welsh along with "a", "e", "i", "o" and "u".

The letter "j" is used in many everyday words borrowed from English, like jamjôc "joke" and garej "garage". The letters "k", "q", "v", "x", and "z" are used in some technical terms, like kilogramvolt and zero, but in all cases can be, and often are, replaced by Welsh letters: cilogramfoltand sero.[28] The letter "k" was in common use until the sixteenth century, but was dropped at the time of the publication of the New Testament in Welsh, as William Salesbury explained: "C for K, because the printers have not so many as the Welsh requireth". This change was not popular at the time.[29]

The most common diacritic is the circumflex, which disambiguates long vowels, most often in the case of homographs, where the vowel is short in one word and long in the other: e.g. man "place" vs mân "fine", "small".

• edited 2012-05-18 20:48:34
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Juan said:

Gelzo said:

The difference is that plants are pigmented so that they reflect light in such a way so that us see them as green.

Fouria G said:

I suppoose, but you could easily argue for "Spiritual energy found in all living things that can be harnessed by living, sentient and sapient things in the form of telekinesis and other super powers"

or

"Thing that lets you become a wuxia character"
    Well, it's certainly that.  But I mean, "the Force" is just a name they chose to make it sound mystical and stuff.  They could have called it anything, really.

>In contrast to English practice, "w" and "y" are considered vowel letters in Welsh along with "a", "e", "i", "o" and "u".

Hence why a lot of people take a look at it and go "Lol, where's the vowels?" and I'm like "Dude, they're right there."