Luxwave Comics Universe

edited 2012-06-21 04:41:05 in General

A friend (Lockonlockon) and I have started worldbuilding a superhero universe of our own, mostly just for fun.

This is a thread about it. And it will contain a list of all the characters, organizations, and so forth.

Currently we know this about the U:

• Superhumans have been showing up en masse since the beginning of the 21st century, but in the last two years in particular.
  • the US Government has formed the Anomalous Activities Division to deal with said superhumans.
  • nearly all superhumans in this continuity are between the ages of 16 and 20. With the outermost limits being 14 and 24.

here's a list of all currently created characters of the U.

Characters:

Heroes:

• Name: Rebekah Waters
  • Aliases: Nightrunner, Across
  • Threat Level: Extremely Low: Rebekah's attitude makes her a threat only in the sense of the larger public discovering her. And she has proven rather competent at keeping her few uses of her abilities under wraps.
  • Residence: Ironton, Pennsylvania
  • Area Active: East Coast of the United States
  • Physical Appearance: Caucasian. Short, thin, long straight black hair, green eyes. 
    • when altered: jet black skin with white dots. Strong resemblance to a night sky. Eyes and hair solid white.
  • Abilities: Rebekah's abilities have been described as "super speed", but this is technically incorrect. Rather, she appears to be able to subvert, or "turn off" proper friction. Letting her achieve speeds that no normal human should be able to survive at all. It is assumed that her body is somehow modified to be able to cope with such speeds, but exactly how is not known. Her abilities have some resemblance to the flight mechanisms of UFOs.
  • Biography: Rebekah has lived in Ironton her entire life. She lives with her mother only (her father is deceased), attends a local community college and has a job at a pharmacy. Of note, when she was six years old, she went missing for two days, she was returned home safely, with no apparent memories of the event. Connections between this event and her powers are not assumed, but possible
  • Name: Ursula Grant-Marshall
  • Aliases: none, sometimes referred to as "The Rake" by internet-users after a popular urban legend.
  • Threat Level: Medium, Ursula's home is extremely remote, but her difficulty in controlling her alter-ego makes her dangerous.
  • Residence: Unincorporated Area, Washington State (near the town of New Sussex)
  • Area Active: Washington State
  • Physical Appearance: Caucasian. Short, medium weight. Short red hair. Blue eyes.
  • Abilities: Ursula, will at seemingly random intervals, transform into a bizarre creature with long claws, and a spindly, bony structure. Said creature is extremely dangerous, and Ursula, while aware of the transformation, appears to have little to no control over the creature. It is known to frequently hunt wildlife in the area around her home.
  • Biography: Ursula nominally lives with her uncle, but he is often away due to Ursula's condition, and seems to care little about her. Ursula attends an online high school.
  • Notes: Ursula's active area has recently extended to most of Washington State, and her shifts appear to be taking longer to wear off. As such, she's started to be noticed by locals and rumors have spread online. 
  • Name: Marcus Gemmer
  • Aliases: Helios the Sun-God
  • Threat Level: Medium, despite Marcus' highly destructive powers. He is quite capable of tightly controlling them.
  • Residence: Currently nomadic
  • Physical Appearance: African-american. Tall, short brown hair. Brown eyes. 
  • Abilities: Marcus can, at will, transform into what can flatly be described as a six-foot tall flaming, skull-headed magma golem. In this form, he can create and control fire at will. Though curiously, the fire on his own body is not very hot at all.
  • Biography: Marcus lived most of his life as a completely ordinary person. But, one night fell into an incredibly bizarre dream where a flaming skull addressed him as "Helios the Sun-God" and told him to become a protector of the weak. Marcus awoke to find his bed on fire, and himself in his altered state. He took this as a sign and has taken it upon himself to fight the various evil or evil-esque IWATs who have emerged since the dawn of the millennium. Marcus has developed a strong sense of justice, and was a natural leader even before his transformation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This thread is mostly for my own use, but feedback is always welcome.

Comments

• ⊗¯\_(ツ)_/¯⊗
    Tempted... To... Add... My... Superhero... Idea...
  • submissions are welcome, but they'll have to be approved first.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
  • That has nothing to do with this.

It may complicate my desire to trademark the name "Skullboy" though.

• updates 'n' necros 'n' stuff

• Name: Horace Lightfoot
      Aliases: Cleric, The Hammer of God
      Threat Level: High, Horace is good-intentioned, but severely risks revealing knowledge of IWATs to the public due to his reckless nature.
      Residence: Currently Nomadic (Horace is a street preacher)
      Physical Appearance: Tall. Lanky. Long grey "mane" of hair that connects into a beard and mustache. Horace is surprisingly fit for a man of his age.
      Abilities: Horace has powerful force-creation abilities. Said force takes the shape of a glowing white light (likely influenced by Horace's own beliefs). He generally prefers to fire this force at foes in the form of a "holy beam", or, if necessary, surround his fists with it so he may fight up close.
      Biography: A veteran of the Vietnam War, and also possessing a degree in Theology, Horace could likely have sent himself many places, but at age 31, gave it all up to become a roaming street preacher. He does not identify with any particular sect of Christianity, but shares common threads with more liberal branches of Protestantism, as well as a fervor common to Evangelical Christianity. Horace considers his abilities a gift from God, having developed them sometime in 2009. And uses them to protect the weak. Horace has interacted with Marcus "Helios" Gemmer and Frances "Ghost" Adani in the past, and while the three sometimes butt heads over theological matters, they have been shown to work together well as a team.

Name: Frances Adani
      Alias: Ghost
      Threat Level: Low, Frances' inconspicuous powers and reluctance to use them do not make her a visible target very often.
      Residence: Albany, New York
      Physical Appearance: Indian. Short, long black straight hair. Brown eyes.
      Abilities: Frances can "phase" through solid objects (including people) and can fly while doing so. She also appears to cause effects similar to the beginning stages of hypothermia when passing through living beings, though these effects wear off more quickly.
      Biography: Frances lived a mostly unremarkable life before discovering her abilities. Indeed, even after discovering them, she continues to live one.

Name: EPSILON
      Aliases: None
    • Threat Level: Very High, EPSILON has not been frequently seen in action, and given his abilities, should be assumed to be willing to inflict harm (it is certainly capable of doing so).
      Residence: Nomadic
      Physical Appearance: Most of EPSILON is not visible due to the large, light blue cloak-like fabric it wears. What is visible are two yellow lights (eyes, likely) beneath the cloak, and metallic arms and claws that extend from its sleeves. Similar looking legs are also visible.
      Abilities: Appears to be robotic in nature. Possesses the ability to "reshape" its claws into working automatic rifles. EPSILON also appears to be able to create and manipulate an explosive, high-energy, purplish plasma-like substance through unknown means. The designation "EPSILON" is self-assigned by the creature, and may be an acronym.
      History: [no data]
  • What will the main message of your comic be?

After all, X-men was about the diverging walls set up because of petty discrimination and how that's more harmful to the world as a whole.

The main message of my comic will be

"comics are a bad place to take life lessons from"

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Now that's a message I can get behind!

The main message of my comic will be

"comics are a bad place to take life lessons from"

Art is a bad place to find inspiration is more like it.
  • edited 2012-06-13 02:29:35
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    I don't think that you should be thinking about the "message".

What's the theme? What are you trying to say? What do you care about that you're imparting into the story? What compels you to tell this story?

Why should I care about these characters? How can I empathise with them? If I'm not supposed to, how are you distancing us from them and what understanding of human nature are you trying to illuminate?

If these questions seem accusatory, they're not meant to be. They're just things that anyone writing a story should think about.
  • I honestly doubt I have the patience to write a story with this.

I might someday though, you never know.

• Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Do you even like comics, Lazuli?

Do you have respect for sequential art as a medium?
  • Yes and yes.

But, as I said

I honestly doubt I have the patience to write a story with this.

Although my intake of traditional superhero comics is indeed rather limited.
    If you don't love tradition (or at least, feel strongly about it), then don't do tradition. Feel free to move into new and original paradigms and patterns.
  • I don't think that you should be thinking about the "message".

What's the theme? What are you trying to say? What do you care about that you're imparting into the story? What compels you to tell this story?

Why should I care about these characters?

Graggle Baggle laggle.
    • Name: Mary Canuta Weissmarck
    • Alias: The Talentmage
    • Threat Level: Extremely High, Mary's powers, combined with her willingness to use them for wanton havoc, make her a top priority target.
    • Residence: Nomadic
    • Physical Appearance: Short, blonde. Mary looks significantly younger than she is, and may be mistaken for a child.
    • Abilities: Mary appears to be able to warp reality at will provided she adheres to an as-yet not fully understood system of rules. Mary considers her abilities to be, in short, magic. Japanese IWAT "Onmyodo" seems to adhere to a similar set of rules. 
    • History: Almost nothing is known of Mary Weismarck before she became The Taskmage, even now, she remains difficult to track. It is known that Mary once lived somewhere near The Florida Everglades, but details beyond that are scarce.
    • Name: Edward Hawking
    • Alias: Captain Density, Matter Man, Professor Singularity, Captain Singularity, Density Man, The Black Star, Event Horizon, Gravity Man (Current)
    • Threat Level: Extremely Low: Despite his desire to be "a superhero", Edward has proven one of the most cooperative of all IWATs, and is generally willing to keep his powers under wraps unless they are needed.
    • Residence: Seattle, Washington
    • Physical Appearance: Tall, broad-shouldered and generally well built. Brown hair, brown eyes. Generally prefers to wear his "costume" while doing work. Said costume is gold, with black and blue trim.
    • Abilities: Edward can manipulate atomic density, effectively similar to manipulating gravity. Higher densities make him stronger, but slower, and lighter densities make him faster and more agile. Likewise, he can also do this to other objects, but seems to have trouble on any living person besides himself. Hypothetical upper and lower limits to his abilities have not been tested.
    • History: Edward's abilities appear to be the result of prolonged exposure to The Large Hadron Collider. Exactly why he and not his fellow scientists have developed these abilities remains unknown.
  • Changed the name of this particular U for assorted reasons. Don't ask.

Anyway! Time for some knight templars! Almost literally!

• Name: Arthur Lamack
    • Alias: Gem-Knight, The Crystal Crusader
    • Threat Level: Very High, Arthur is profoundly reckless and targets even the most minor of infractions among criminals. He has a vast superiority complex and should be considered extremely dangerous.
    • Residence: Nomadic
    • Physical Appearance: Arthur has since bonded to his costume, and thus appears at all times to be a tall, walking knight-shaped mass made out of assorted gemstones. 
    • Abilities: Arthur can manipulate rock, and is also incredibly resilient to physical attacks due to his sturdy construction. It is believed at this point that Arthur has chemically bonded with the suit, that is, there is no longer a flesh-and-blood human beneath it.
    • History: Prior to finding the Gem Suit, Arthur was merely a disgruntled warehouse employee, deep in debt after falling prey to a real estate scam. He found the Suit while stocking one night and noticing there was an unmarked box, which he is assumed to have opened out of curiosity. The Suit immediately bonded to him, and he found this a convenient excuse to live out his fantasies of being a "hero". It should be noted that Arthur is far from heroic in the way he punishes his targets, and the conman whose scam he fell prey to went missing shortly after Arthur became The Gem-Knight. A connection is highly probable.
    It's better than "Skullboy."
  • What's wrong with that name? :/

I only changed it because I don't want *everything* of mine to be called that on the off-off-off chance I ever do something with this.

I probably won't stick with Luxwave either, to be honest. Thinking "21st Century Comics" might be a good name.

Apart from it's taken? "Luxwave" sounds much more prestigious. 
  • "Skull Boy" is taken, "Skullboy" is not. Spelling and punctuation count at the patent office*. That's why there's both a Captain Marvel and a Captain Mar-Vell.

Anyway, I do see what you mean, though.

*Trademark Office, technically, but meh.

No, there's a Captain Marvel (Shazam!) and a Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell) because of a court ruling. 
  • Exactly.

There's other instances of this sort of thing too. My point being, it's not, in the strictest sense, "taken".

And honestly by the time I'd be at a point where I'd be willing and able to trademark a name anyway, I'd probably have picked up something else out of sheer habit. I go through names like water.

• I guess in the end we all just sort of knew. Not like, consciously knew, but intrinsically, on some level. We knew that with great power comes great responsibility. We read comic books too, of course--they call that being "read up" by the way--so we just sort of knew that if we got powers and were going to use them for good, there'd be somebody out there who was gonna use them to do something stupid. I think that's--if not the reason--one of the reasons a lot of us got into the whole cape business. Of course none of us were really thinking about that at the time, we all had our own reasons. Mine was simple enough, after all, give a fourteen-year-old superpowers and they're going to turn out either a superhero or a supervillain--there's not a lot of middle ground there. So yeah, I could go back to the beginning, my origin story's the same as everyone else's. Fell asleep December 20th an ordinary human, woke up the next day something more than that. You can ask Across, Helios, anybody. They'll all have stories, but that's where they all start.

--Alicia "Flare Girl" Blackmoore

Basically, I've decided to reconfigure the continuity here, now that I have a much harder idea of the setting than I previously did. Consider all of the previous posts to be only semi-canon, rough sketches if you will.

----------------------------------------------------

The setting is Earth as you know it, with one major difference. On the night of December 20th, 2012, a minority of the world's population went to sleep, the day after, they awoke forever changed. It would take some quite awhile to realize this, while others caught on almost immediately. Still others would find or invent strange items to change them. What is known is this, the New Age that has been so long prophesied retroactively added fantastic elements to the world we live in, and it has changed forever. 

With this, we must go on to our protagonists. Some are self-styled superheroes. Others answer a call from their God or Gods. Others still, are egomaniacs seeking to conquer this new world. Many simply act in self-interest.

• Name: Alicia Blackmoore
    • Alias: Flare Girl
    • Age at Empowerment: 14
    • Ethnicity: Black (Jamaican) Irish
    • Nationality: American (I will omit this field for all subsequent heroes, since I have no foreign heroes yet and am not sure I even want to cover the subject)
    • Hometown: Iron Hills, Pennsylvania
    • Powers: The ability to create and manipulate raw energy. Usually manifested as "flare blasts".
    • Personal History: Alicia is the daughter of Jamaican immigrant Martin King and Irish actress Sinead Blackmoore, she has one older sibling, Tricia. Her cousin is the superhero known as Across.
    • About: A small, fiery redhead, Alicia was all too willing to use her newfound abilities for good the moment she discovered them. Long being an avid superhero fan herself, she wasted no time in devising a secret identity--one that fooled no one she knew personally, it should be noted. Alicia sometimes struggles to use her powers effectively, but is a steadfast optimist and enthusiastic about her work. It is unsurprising that she, Gravity Man, and Helios get along quite well. She is quite naive due to her young age and does sometimes indulge in hammy-but-dangerous tactics (such as naming and calling out attacks), but is intelligent enough to only do so when she feels she has a reason to.

I'll post more soon.

• Name: Marcus Gemmer
    • Alias: Helios
    • Age at Empowerment: 21
    • Ethnicity: African-American
    • Hometown: Seattle, WA
    • Powers: Fire and Darkness Creation/Manipulation, Super Speed, Super Strength, Super Endurance (all when transformed only)
    • Personal History: Marcus is the only son of Julius and Regina Gemmer. 
    • About: On the night he was given his powers, Marcus had a strange dream about an assortment of muddled, Greek Mythology-inspired figures granting him his powers and commanding him to do justice with them. Marcus remains unsure if said figures were really divine in any way, but he has heeded their call regardless. At will he transforms into the mighty Sun God Helios, a giant of iron armor wreathed in flame. Despite the ferocious appearance of his alter ego, Marcus has a profound sense of honor, justice, and fairness, which have earned him both the respect of his peers and the public, he also assisted in drafting The Heroic Tenants*, which all superheroes are expected to follow.

*I will expand upon this later. I only know a few of them as-is. One being "Do not kill."

Heroic Tenants? What, like the Ten Commandments for superheroes or something like the Hippocratic Oath?
    • Name: Edward A. Hawking
    • Alias: Gravity Man
    • Age at Empowerment: 32
    • Ethnicity: Caucasian (Dutch)
    • Hometown: New York, NY
    • Powers: Gravity Manipulation, and by extension, Flight.
    • Personal History: Edward is the oldest of the five children had by Arnold and Martha Hawking. Unlike many heroes, Edward also has a family. He has a wife--Jenny--and two children; Liza and Mark.
    • About: Ed is friendly and good natured, though not always the strong leader he wishes he was. Like a few other heroes, Edward was a big comic fan before gaining his powers, and coined the term "read up" to refer to superheroes like himself who used to read or still do read comicbooks about fictional superheroes (he has jokingly suggested that he learned how to fight by reading Batman Comics). Ed is also somewhat infamous for the massive amount of aliases he went through near the beginning of his career, from the understandable (Captain Gravity, Singularity) to the odd (Wormhole, Gravitus Force).

Heroic Tenants? What, like the Ten Commandments for superheroes or something like the Hippocratic Oath?

Something like that.

Not commandments per-se (though obviously "Thou Shalt Not Kill" is also a commandment) but rather, rules and guidelines an officially recognized hero (or someone aspiring to be such) should follow. This is an important distinction in-universe, between heroes and vigilantes. To give non-Luxwave examples, it's the difference between a standard hero and a grimdark-style anti-hero. Non grimdark anti-heroes could be either. Exceptions could also probably be made to most of the tenants (not killing your opponent is less of a priority if your opponent is trying to blow up the world or something) for extreme situations.

As for "official" there's a loose Justice League-type organization founded at some point, but I haven't thought of a good name for it yet, and it's not as tight-knit as the (DCAU anyway, can't really speak on the comics) JLA is.

I like the idea of superheroes and public servants (emphasis on "servant"), having to take solemn oaths to do this and that.

Although to be fair that also sounds like superhero knights.
  • I like the idea of superheroes and public servants (emphasis on "servant"), having to take solemn oaths to do this and that.

Although to be fair that also sounds like superhero knights.

I actually quite like the idea of superheroes-as-modern knights, thank you for giving me that idea. :P

Though the only in-'verse knight is Gem-Knight, who is most certainly not a real superhero (more one of those "I MUST HAVE VENGEANCE" 90s antihero types).

• Name: Pennsylvania "Penny" Rink
    • Alias: Across
    • Age at Empowerment: 18
    • Ethnicity: Caucasian (Pennsylvania Deutsch)
    • Hometown: Slatington, PA
    • Powers: Friction Manipulation, by extension, Super Speed, Super Endurance
    • Personal History: Penny is the only child of Amos and Gretchen Waters, an Amish couple. However, as an infant, her parents were killed in a fire and she was adopted by Suzanne Rink, she is thus the legal cousin of superhero Flare Girl.
    • About: Penny is self-defined as "an overachiever". A straight A student throughout most of her career, she was searching for job positions the day before she was empowered. Recognizing an opportunity to do good in her community, she bought a stock "superhero costume" from a nearby party supply store and began fighting crime in her area, first as "Nightrunner" and then switching to the simpler Across alias. She and Flare Girl often work together, since they are related and live near each other. She is also notable as the first hero to trademark her alias and logo to prevent unauthorized cash-ins. She does license merchandise, using the money both to live off of, and to pay for any damages she causes while doing her work. Most other superheroes soon followed suit.
    • Name: Lawrence Yin
    • Alias: Nebula
    • Age at Empowerment: 16
    • Ethnicity: Asian-American (Chinese)
    • Hometown: San Francisco, CA
    • Powers: Ability to create and manipulate gaseous matter, ability to turn self into and from gas at will.
    • Personal History: Lawrence is the oldest of three children.
    • About: Initially reluctant to become a superhero, Lawrence was inspired to become one after his younger sister's life was in grave danger after she was part of a group of hostages held by bank robbers. Using his abilities to turn himself into knockout gas, Lawrence foiled the robbery and was hailed as San Francisco's first hero almost immediately. Asked to choose a name, he quickly thought of a book on astronomy he'd been reading earlier and dubbed himself Nebula. Since then, Lawrence has grown into his role as a competent crimefighter, often using his unusual power in innovative ways.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    If I was writing for Nebula, one characteristic I'd have of him is how weary having to remind everyone that he Nebula. NEBULA. N-E-B-U-L-A. But in the end, everyone keeps calling him The Human Fart
  • If I was writing for Nebula, one characteristic I'd have of him is how weary having to remind everyone that he Nebula. NEBULA. N-E-B-U-L-A. But in the end, everyone keeps calling him The Human Fart

Pfff.

We can make that a running gag as an insult hurled at him by foes or something.

"You know I was just going to turn into knockout gas, but for that, you get the tear gas."

• Generic Terms for Superhumans

Since the event, several generic terms referring to superhumans as a group have come into use.

• "Superhuman" is perhaps both the most self-explanatory and the most widespread.
    • "RAI", short for Retroactively Affected Individual is the scientific term, it has also been de-acronymized as "Rai" or "Raiian"
    • "Mayan", since the event occurred on the alleged date of the "New Age" supposedly predicted by the Mayan calendar. This usage is largely colloquial.
    • "Mutant" or "Mutate" is sometimes used pejoratively, or simply by those who don't know any better. 
    • "New Human" or "Homo Superior" are used by the odd crackpot or superhuman supremacist.
    • Name: Real Name unknown 
    • Alias: Jellyfish
    • Age at Empowerment: ???
    • Ethnicity: N/A (Gliesan?)
    • Hometown: ??? (Currently resides in Orlando, FL)
    • Powers: Intangibility at will and Telekinesis
    • Personal History: see below
    • About: Of the assorted members of the [Guild of Champions*], Jellyfish is among the most mysterious. Wandering out of a nearby swamp in a daze after a rash of UFO sightings, general consensus is that she is an alien of some sort (a team of scientists hypothesize she may be from Gliese 581g), but she claims to have total amnesia regarding any life she may have had before her arrival. Her alias is apt as she does vaguely resemble a humanoid jellyfish (her arms are extremely long and end in four tentacle-fingers, and the structure on top of her head resembles a jelly's aboral surface). How she is even capable of remaining upright in Earth's atmosphere remains unknown, since she appears to completely lack bones of any kind. Despite her unusual origin, she picked up passable English fairly quickly, and was more than willing to assist a visiting Gravity Man in crimefighting. As such, she was quickly integrated into the [Guild]

*I should note that I really do not plan to keep this name, it's just a placeholder

• Name: Gilian Stargunn*
    • Alias: Steel Pyramid
    • Age at Empowerment: 20*
    • Ethnicity: Bosnian*
    • Hometown: Sarajevo, Bosnia-Herzegovina*
    • Powers: Steel Pyramid's abilities are vaguely defined, but can perhaps be best described as the ability to manipulate matter. Frequently, this manifests as control of the four classical elements (air, fire, water, and earth) but this is far from all she is capable of. She personally refers to them as magic. She also seems to be able to teleport.
    • Personal History: Unknown
    • About: Almost nothing is known of the girl who calls herself Steel Pyramid. She has, at various times worked both for and against the [Guild of Champions], and descriptions of her physical appearance are often inconsistent on details such as hair and eye color. Some theorize that she may not actually be one person, but rather a series of people, or even a concept somehow given life. What is known is that the steel, pyramid-shaped pendant around her neck from which she derives her name is the source of her powers (assuming she can be believed, that is). Steel Pyramid, even when helpful often deliberately obfuscates her own motives, sometimes speaking in riddles, obscure allusions, or even total nonsense. 

*all of these claims are based on information she has willingly given up, and are not verifiable.

• Name: ??
    Alias: The Samurai Stranger
    Age at Empowerment: n/a
    Ethnicity: British-Japanese
    Hometown: 
    Powers: The Samurai Stranger actually lacks powers, but he is highly skilled in the use of his katana and several martial arts, making him capable of standing toe-to-toe with most superhumans. He is known to ride a motorcycle for transportation.
    Personal History: Little to nothing is known of The Samurai Stranger's backstory. He is known to be from The United Kingdom, and the child of Japanese immigrants to that country, beyond that, nothing is known.
    About: The Samurai Stranger began his career long before the event, preferring to lie low and stopping crimes whenever possible. With the advent of more visible superheroes, he has become slightly more exposed to the public eye. His "costume" consists of a modern version of ceremonial samurai regalia, though it is black instead of any traditional colors.