urban planning thread (was: The Problem with Stroads)

Comments

• more from whence that came

this video is so true and i hate how true it is

the worst part is that i know just how freaking prevalent these car-dependent suburbs are and i find myself furiously scratching my head wondering how in the world we will ever undo all this junk that's already been built

even as a 12 year old i could tell there was something wrong with this, and i had no idea what zoning laws were at that age
  • immune to splash damage
    basically everywhere around here is Stroad City and that's a major reason why I prefer to just stay home as much as possible
  • it's interesting to compare NotJustBikes's scores on these two tripes with this other YouTuber's scores on the same trips

the other YouTuber is Shifter; Shifter lives in Calgary while NJB lives in Amsterdam.  TL;DW is that they both took a bike trip about 10 km to a suburban hardware store and both rated each of the trips (their own and the other guy's), using a "plus one, minus two" rating system.

you might expect Amsterdam, being notoriously bike-friendly, scores higher.  and yes, it does.  but what's most interesting here is how their two perspectives differ from each other -- like, what do each of them praise or dock points for.

• designing a bike-friendly city also means having bikes that are, well, friendlier themselves

• also the channel is called Not Just Bikes so here's something other than bikes

• immune to splash damage
    that's a cute lil vehicle
  • hey look, it's not another NotJustBikes video

• if you're ever asked to design roads, Princess, I beg of you, please do what you can to stop making the same mistakes your predecessors have made with these things
  • idea:

there are big parking lots in front of stores
    this area can be repurposed into lower-speed access streets
    then the stroads can have some lanes carved out and turned into separated bike/pedestrian paths
  • I'm honestly scared to watch these videos because I think they'll make me sad and I don't want to have any more sad feelings about buildings and development than I already do.