~*NSFW*~

edited 2012-04-26 02:29:08 in General

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    It's funnier if you know that "fanny" means vagina in the UK.

UK peoples: It mean "butt" in the US.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    I know that, though admittedly only because of Bill Bryson.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Friday didn't know until we discussed it. Also because of Family Guy, but, funnily enough, a different scene altogether.

• Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Friday didn't know until we discussed it. Also because of Family Guy, but, funnily enough, a different scene altogether.

Theres a scene in the Simpsons where the Skinners go to Epcot as Seymour is trying to win back Mrs K and Seymours (step) Mother says that her fanny is rubbed raw

"Apparently "pussy" means cat in the U.K. I think these facts could potentially lead to some awkward situations?"

"A US Citizen was arrested today after saying he would really like to "Fuck some pussy". Once it was determined that what the man wanted was really "sexual intercourse with a woman's vagina" his sentenced was reduced to a stern talking to and being denied one tea time on account of his rude behavior."
    Everyone knows both meanings of "pussy" so it doesn't really lead to awkward situations so much as predictable innuendo.
  • Like in Are You Being Served?
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:21:00
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

(shitty quality video)
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:31:34
    I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    There are some words that have been lost, changed, corrupted, or in some shape way or form reinterpreted.

The general consensus is that using such words is poor technique, and should never be used outside of comedy. Failure to understand this, will, in fact, lead to much awkwardness.

Example: Those pussies are making me feel gay; now excuse me while I feed my ass.

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    squidrezi, it still (kind of) means cat in the US.
    Question: does anyone, on either side of the Atlantic, actually use it to mean "cat"?
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    My mom does.

Wait, she's not even human.

Neeeeevermind.
  • I'm a loser. Also, Creeper. And a woman.
    I sometimes do for innuendo. Mostly in chats. :P
  • ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^Doesn't count.
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:44:35
    "squidrezi, it still (kind of) means cat in the US."

In the same way that gay still means "happy" and ass still means "donkey".

We still know meaning out of necessity when encountering old media, but nobody actually uses them unironically.

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^Christians do.
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:45:47
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    "Pussy" is a pretty old word, in both senses.

(Why do i know this?)
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:46:47
    ^^Pay no attention to the King James Only movement.

Nothing to see here, move along.

• ~*tasteless*~
    大學的年同性戀毛皮

aaaaa
    ^Pfft, like there's any other kind of Christian.
    I'm only a traditionalist for the Lord's prayer.

Because seriously wtf is "the time of trial" supposed to mean.
  • What about Mormons?
  • edited 2012-04-26 03:55:02
    My personal-use Bible is a King James, if only because I like the purple-prosy sound of ye olde English and the history behind the different translation decisions (gopher wood, anyone?). With other folk though, newer translations are the best route.

^The King Mormon version?

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
  • edited 2012-04-26 15:50:43
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

I use NLT and the NIV. 

I want a copy of the ESV and the TNLT.

I also have the New World Translation, but only use that if I'm looking into Jehovah Witness stuff.

I have a hard time getting through the KJV specifically for all the reasons Anonym likes it. :P
    The KJV is the far superior version :p

People who use other versions are heretics :p

NO! BAD STRAWMAN, THAT'S A BAD STRAWMAN! :P

Anyhow, the way a few things are translated in the KJV irks me as well...not that I've ever met a translation that I liked completely.
    NO! BAD STRAWMAN, THAT'S A BAD STRAWMAN! :P

Its not a strawman, the branch of Christianity that I associate with uses the KJV and explicitly states that the other versions are wrong
  • edited 2012-04-26 15:59:19
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    How does that even make sense. The original Bible was compiled at least a
    millennium prior to the King James Version being printed.

The KJV was written for Anglicans
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-04-26 16:02:03

"Its not a strawman, the branch of Christianity that I associate with uses the KJV and explicitly states that the other versions are wrong"

Ah, that seems...kinda dangerous, theological speaking, as they're not really following the Bible, per se, more just one specific translation that could be wrong or flawed somehow.

But, they're not the only group, I'm sure, who thinks the KJV translation was guided by the hand of God and is perfect, and fuck modern translators for saying otherwise.

Forgive me if I'm coming off as offensive, I'm not trying to start a fight, just stating my opinions here.
  • edited 2012-04-26 16:04:33
    It's 4:20 somewhere.
    There's nuance lost in any translation. Even within the same language, meanings attached to certain words can be lost if the culture has any significant difference. There's bound to be quite a lot of intended meanings that have been lost in something as old and large as the bible.

It's sort of sadly comical when holy texts are viewed as something perfect and immutable.

But then I guess a number of believers would just find some sort of mystical godly quality in all that, and claim some bullshit about God so graciously allowing interpretations that are most suitable to whoever is reading. Then there's the added bonus of getting an out for the flaring contradictions and falsehoods in more literal interpretations.

Really pisses me off that people take it seriously.

Ah,
    that seems...kinda dangerous, theological speaking, as they're not
    really following the Bible, per se, more just one specific translation
    that could be wrong or flawed somehow.

But,
    they're not the only group, I'm sure, who thinks the KJV translation was
    guided by the hand of God and is perfect, and fuck modern translators
    for saying otherwise.

Other branches do the same no?

• edited 2012-04-26 16:10:33

Some, not all. The Catholics have a large collection of various translations they recommend, for instance. 

I'd imagine many of the Evangelical Protestant groups are more likely to recommend one and ONLY one translation, but I wouldn't call it a hard, fast rule.

I went to a Black Baptists Church on Easter and noticed the dude in front of me had brought a New International Version copy of the Bible with him, and Black Baptists are pretty heavy on the Biblical literalism.

If they where open that there's more than one acceptable translation, or that translations should be reevaluated in the light of modern evidence, then almost anyone could.

Also, while Jehovah Witnesses have their own translation of the Bible, their publications still references other translations A LOT if a certain translation communicates a point they're trying to make better or more eloquently.  
    I see
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    My take on the KJV is that people are drawn to the flowery, archaic 17th-century dialect it's written in, and that some of the mistranslations make good justifications for certain controversial interpretations of verses (including at least one LDS uses to justify the existence of the BoM; said verse isn't quite the same in the original Hebrew or in the RSV or NIV).
  • I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    ^Which is precisely why it's awesome having a pastor who's sermons double as lessons in linguistics and archeology.
  • I love how this thread started off about Family Guy and then became a debate about the different versions of the Good Book.

Never change, Heap.