Obama violating the witchy wiggity what now?

edited 2012-04-24 13:35:06 in Talk
So I heard Obama violated the constitution, or is trying to.

how? in layman's terms, since I am one who as literally 0% knowledge regarding the government and politics related news.

Please don't be mad at me for not knowing this yet, I live under a rock.
Tagged:

Comments

• Well you see, first he rolled it up, and then he had sex with it.

Thus, did Obama violate the Constitution.

real answer: he probably didn't and it's likely someone trying to stir things up. But that's par for the course anymore.

• The sadness will last forever.

I dunt geddit.

• I assume someone has recently accused Obama of breaching the Constitution.

Viani wants to know why.

I don't know why myself, so I gave a smartass answer.

• edited 2012-04-23 02:37:18
    Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    It has to do with his healthcare plan. It included a mandate that would force people who didn't need/already had insurance to buy into the new plan. That's the major question, and it boils down to whether or not the government can compel us to buy something just because we'll probably need it.

The Supreme Court is deciding the case now. They should announce their decision this summer, and it's looking like they're gonna strike the law down (or at least the mandate).
  • That's what this is about?

Some people will stop at nothing to make everything as inconvenient as possible, let me tell you.

I guess I shouldn't say anything though. I don't know the details of the situation.

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    OK, found an article which seems to explains things well

Basically, that part of the plan that covers forcing people to have insurance, or have to pay a tax is coming under fire. Though, you have to make about $10,000 in a year for this to even matter. Not a lot, but if your taxable income is "close to zero" you're exempt. If you have a part time job and say, keep it for the entire year, I can see this coming up. 

Now, a shitty health plan at my age is about $42 a month. For people in there late teens, to early 20s, it's more like $36 a month. There's a chance rates will be lowered, too. Once TONS more people are on health care, insurance companies are expected to drop rates. Hell, they might even come up with shittier health plans that cost less.

Note that the law allows for people to stay on their parents plans until 26, so they might not even mean anything to a lot of you until a few years from now.

Why force people to buy insurance? It's part of a plan to make insurance companies not able to refuse people for preexisting conditions. 

Insurance companies LOVE to refuse paying for people's preexisting conditions. Mental issues like depression often get payed out of pocket even by people who have insurance because they where diagnosed and treated  before getting insurance (sometimes even through work or a spouses work).

I believe the idea is that if everyone HAS to have insurance, companies are also not allowed to say "no" to those that they think might cost them more money then they'll make. 

I think there are still some laws as part of this that try to get insurance companies to stop this, but the fear is that they'll have more leeway to wiggle out of covering some things.
  • edited 2012-04-24 13:57:23
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Hey I have a question

Why force people to buy insurance when the State can run it for less?

Edit: That sounded more serious and sincere in my head

:P I'm sure it did, but It's a valid question.

I think there was a concern that a state run insurance would basically put these huge companies out of business. There's some other factors, but that was probably the biggest

So early in this process, the Obama administration decided to figure out a way to get everyone on insurance rather than proposing a possibly even more unpopular method of getting the state to run it.

So, fast forward to now, they want people to HAVE to by plans in an attempt to keep everyone happy, but, of course, not everyone is happy.

Basically, our current system is set up in such a way that moving straight to state run insurance might be too disruptive for this to work or even for the plan to survive long enough to be implemented. 

Also, this reminds me...whomever came up with "Obamacare" should be dragged into the street and shot...in front of their family so their kids understand the cost of coming up with obnoxious labels for things.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    I think there was a concern that a state run insurance would basically
    put these huge companies out of business. There's some other factors,
    but that was probably the biggest

Thats the weirdest thing, people will pay for health insurance even when the state runs it. Granted, it is a massively reduced amount but it does happen.
    So early in this process, the Obama administration decided to figure out
    a way to get everyone on insurance rather than proposing a possibly
    even more unpopular method of getting the state to run it.
    So its like a halfway house thing?
  • edited 2012-04-24 14:24:54
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, like I've said elsewhere, nonce words don't help political discourse at all, and turn into slurs pretty much immediately.

Also, yeah, this is a halfway-house solution. Health insurance in the US has become a large industry, with several for-profit players, and they didn't want to put several thousand people out of work during a recession. As far as I know, the insurance companies are okay with this, if begrudgingly, if it means they get to keep their current accounts.

That said, most of the opposition has come from the far right. Some of them are separatists who don't want the United States to exist beyond a NATO-ish military alliance, and consider this an intrusion on states' rights; some are rugged individualists who think that this is giving the poor something they don't deserve because they aren't working (or working hard enough) for it; and some are just plain racist and will oppose everything Obama does because he's black. In other words, the extremists have the ball.

"Thats the weirdest thing, people will pay for health insurance even when the state runs it. Granted, it is a massively reduced amount but it does happen."

I never said it was a valid concern. :P 

Seriously though, the EXTREME views would have people believe that state run insurance would heal all wounds and be the "BEST THING EVAR!" OR destroy US society as we know it. The truth is likely in the middle somewhere. 

"So its like a halfway house thing?"

Something like that. The idea of anything approaching universal healthcare is pretty radical for the US. I'd say the Obama administration is just trying to get their foot in the door, at the moment. They need something that can get the ball rolling, but to even get THAT far they need something well...CLOSE to what they proposed (or, if the Supreme Court doesn't vote it down, what we have here). 

Now, the whole plan doesn't go away if the Supreme Court strikes down this part, but we'll be pretty far from accomplishing anything that even looks like an US approximation of universal health insurance if they do. 

• It's 4:20 somewhere.
    I remember when Obama tried to absorb the blow of the label "Obamacare" by saying something along the lines of not minding Republicans accusing him of caring.
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    That was Herman Cain. There's more than one black politician ya racist fuck.

jklolololol
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Is he the mayor of the city of townsville?
  • edited 2012-04-24 22:46:55
    It's 4:20 somewhere.

Definition of POLITICIAN

: a person experienced in the art or science of government;especially : one actively engaged in conducting the business of a government
    a : a person engaged in party politics as a professionb : a person primarily interested in political office for selfish or other narrow usually short-sighted reasons

Well you can't say he wasn't interested in political office.
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:00:15
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Update: 

Split decision, as expected, but not the decision many thought would happen:

Many states are scrambling to comply with the new law.

Not Oregon, though. Oregon apparently decided there would be many aspects it would adopt regardless of the decision, so they're already primed and ready for the new requirements. 
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    This I did not expect.

People storming off to Facebook to declare their intent to secede, that I expected.
  • Doctor Who reference in Pokemon B2W2? Headcanon accepted.
    remember whenever they accused Reagan/Clinton/W Bush of violating the constitution

same shit different party different president
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:15:33

There where aspects of this whole thing I found pretty silly. It is interesting some of the parts they DID strike down, but not the mandatory health care purchasing part, which certainly was what the Republicans where hoping would be thrown out.

Romney is all "WE MUST REMOVE OBAMA IF WE WANT OBAMA CARE GONE!"

Was interesting to hear some people interviewed from other European just kinda shrug and go "LOL, what?" Their taxes pretty much pay for this stuff already.

In related news, I still think it should be legal to slap people who seriously use the term "Obama care".
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    "if the federal government could compel people
    to buy health insurance, it could compel them to buy almost anything ...

A majority of the court reasoned that the individual mandate penalty, to
    be collected by the Internal Revenue Service starting in 2015, is a tax
    and is not unconstitutional."

So what's the safeguard against a Brave New World economy, where the government can compel people to buy any product industrialists and social engineers want, levying heavy taxes on those who opt out?

I'd feel a whole lot safer with socialized health care...

• edited 2012-06-28 19:08:47

^ ^ Their.

And I don't think saying Obamacare is that bad, it's the Democrats fault for naming the thing "The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act"

If you can't control the naming process, or even come up with a name that acronyms well, you'll get what you can take.
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:13:03
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:20:07

^^^Eh, that's sort of "slippery slope" reasoning there, but I'm with you on the socialized health care part. 

That probably wouldn't have caused this argument in the first place given everyone is just paying more into taxes and getting a service from the government. 

I'm also a little concerned Health Care companies won't bother to lower their rates even with many more people buying plans, as was discussed as a potential upside to this...mostly because I trust Health Care Companies to do very little except stab people in the back if they feel they can weasel more money out of the deal.

I'd imagine forcing people to buy other stuff would at least require some very compelling response or a bunch of other countries already doing it to the point where the modern world kinda looks around and wonder why Americans don't have government funded "butt hats"* where's other countries are have program to distribute"butt hats" to the general populace. 

Better politics through peer pressure. :P 

*I was going to go with some sort of system that connects people to some sort of futuristic neural network, but "butt hats" was funnier...
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:18:52
    "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^^ Uh, the Supreme Court struck down forcing the states to expand Medicaid ("people in America who have no money can get medical care now.") What they upheld was forcing healthy individuals to buy health insurance or receive a punitive tax each year.

^ "Eh, that's sort of 'slippery slope' reasoning there"

Please don't. Calling a question about negative logical consequences the "slippery slope fallacy" is a piece of Wikipedia-enabled sophistry.
  • Mhm!

In fact, thanks to the parts of the law ahtat have gone into effect, I have gotten new glasses, and dental care!!!

(*That was a while back, but I'm mentioning it now*)
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:18:57

Lumine said:

So, I heard that people in America who have no money can get medical care now. This makes me happy. :D I heard that some people wish to reverse this. This makes me sad. :[

Technically, there are already programs that reduce the amount of money one has to pay if they have basically no money...though, I'm sure those programs are only good to a point.

I don't think those programs are going away. Poor people don't have to by insurance still, if memory serves, mandatory health insurance only comes up if one is over a certain income. 
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:18:35
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Lumine said:

I must be dumb.

Wait what am I even doing here. This is a politics thread. :[

*flogs self; walks out*

Naw, don't worry about it. There are a lot of elements to the new laws, even I can't keep track up what aspects we're getting and what got cut out.
    When it comes to health care I live in a microcosm within America (referred to as the "bible belt", disparagingly or not) where there's several Christian hospitals tied to different denominations. A few months ago while I was preparing potatoes for dinner I was being a fucking idiot and chopped a nice chunk off the top of my thumb and took myself to the ER of the Methodist hospital and got it taken care of with pain meds. Anyway, after a short discussion with the billing department involving my lack of medical insurance, current occupation (student) and income (again, student), they waived the entire bill in a matter of minutes with the church operation taking care of my bill for me. 

I realize that this is certainly not the case for the rest of America, and I'm not saying it should be, but it does go to show that the government doesn't have to directly be involved for something to get done. 
  • "It is a matter of grave importance that Fairy tales should be respected.... Whosoever alters them to suit his own opinions, whatever they are, is guilty, to our thinking, of an act of presumption, and appropriates to himself what does not belong to him." -- Charles Dickens
    ^^ You can't be expected to; the law runs to 3256 pages (probably folio pages in 10-point font)

"No law in
    that country must exceed in words the number of letters in their
    alphabet, which consists only of two and twenty. But indeed few of them
    extend even to that length. They are expressed in the most plain and
    simple terms, wherein those people are not mercurial enough to discover
    above one interpretation: and to write a comment upon any law, is a
    capital crime." -- Gulliver's Travels II.7.7

^ The state doesn't like having the church as a competitor.
    Gryphon said:

^ The state doesn't like having the church as a competitor.

Them competing isn't so bothersome. It's when they team up that you need to worry
  • I'm not sure about technicalities or anything, but not having my teeth rot out is quite lovely!!!!

My younger brother and his wife got their first baby basically paid for. Friday and I where not so lucky, but that's because I'm in a pretty high paying profession. We do have health insurance, though.

Friday chopped off a piece of her finger while...you guessed it, peeling potatoes. And we needed to go to the ER to get them to make the bleeding stop.

Sadly, this also costed money, and I didn't have health insurance at the time.

Funnily enough, they still dropped $150 from the bill because you get a discount for NOT having insurance. 

I find this hilarious, because it means hospitals have a system in place where they simply CHARGE more money because they know they'll get some from someone.

Still, I think this opens up a much bigger topic, the dangers of potatoes and why the Surgeon General hasn't put warning labels on them:

SURGEON GENERAL'S WARNING: Potatoes cause people to chop the tips off their goddamn fingers and get blood everywhere and possibly go into shock. Know where the closest hospital is in case dinner turns dire!

"Them competing isn't so bothersome. It's when they team up that you need to worr"

I think the state trying to eliminate the church is a more relevant issue. The Enlightenment has cast the long shadow of the idea that it's an outrage for people's loyalties to be divided between the City of Man and the City of God (see, e.g. Gibbon on how the Roman state religion was better than Christianity). Even worse, these secularists often think atheism would be even better than paganism.
  • Rott, do you have to do this to every single serious conversation you are involved in?

This is precisely why so many don't want to have them.
  • edited 2012-06-28 19:49:30
    :|
    Justice42 said:

Lumine said:

I must be dumb.

Wait what am I even doing here. This is a politics thread. :[

*flogs self; walks out*

Naw, don't worry about it. There are a lot of elements to the new laws, even I can't keep track up what aspects we're getting and what got cut out.
    Well, here is everything, in the order of when it
    goes into effect (because some of it happens later than other parts of
    it):

Already in effect:

It allows the Food and Drug Administration to approve more generic
    drugs (making for more competition in the market to drive down prices)

It increases the rebates on drugs people get through Medicare (so drugs cost less)

It establishes a non-profit group, that the government doesn't
    directly control, [1] PCORI, to study different kinds of treatments to
    see what works better and is the best use of money.

It makes chain restaurants like McDonalds display how many calories
    are in all of their foods, so people can have an easier time making
    choices to eat healthy.

It makes a "high-risk pool" for people with pre-existing conditions.
    Basically, this is a way to slowly ease into getting rid of
    "pre-existing conditions" altogether. For now, people who already have
    health issues that would be considered "pre-existing conditions" can
    still get insurance, but at different rates than people without them.

It renews some old policies, and calls for the appointment of various positions.

It creates a new 10% tax on indoor tanning booths.

It says that health insurance companies can no longer tell customers
    that they won't get any more coverage because they have hit a "lifetime
    limit". Basically, if someone has paid for health insurance, that
    company can't tell that person that he's used that insurance too much
    throughout his life so they won't cover him any more. They can't do this
    for lifetime spending, and they're limited in how much they can do this
    for yearly spending.

Kids can continue to be covered by their parents' health insurance until they're 26.

No more "pre-existing conditions" for kids under the age of 19.

Insurers have less ability to change the amount customers have to pay for their plans.

People in a "Medicare Gap" get a rebate to make up for the extra money they would otherwise have to spend.

Insurers can't just drop customers once they get sick.

Insurers have to tell customers what they're spending money on.
    (Instead of just "administrative fee", they have to be more specific).

Insurers need to have an appeals process for when they turn down a
    claim, so customers have some manner of recourse other than a lawsuit
    when they're turned down.

New ways to stop fraud are created.

Medicare extends to smaller hospitals.

Medicare patients with chronic illnesses must be monitored more thoroughly.

Reduces the costs for some companies that handle benefits for the elderly.

A new website is made to give people insurance and health information.http://www.healthcare.gov/

A credit program is made that will make it easier for business to invest in new ways to treat illness.
    A limit is placed on just how much of a percentage of the money an
    insurer makes can be profit, to make sure they're not price-gouging
    customers.

A limit is placed on what type of insurance accounts can be used to
    pay for over-the-counter drugs without a prescription. Basically, your
    insurer isn't paying for the Aspirin you bought for that hangover.

Employers need to list the benefits they provided to employees on their tax forms.
    8/1/2012
    Any health plans sold after this date must provide preventative care
    (mammograms, colonoscopies, etc.) without requiring any sort of co-pay
    or charge.

1/1/2013
    If you make over $200,000 a year, your taxes go up a tiny bit (0.9%).
    Edit: To address those who take issue with the word "tiny", a change of
    0.9% is relatively tiny. Any look at how taxes have fluctuated over the
    years will reveal that a change of less than one percent is miniscule,
    especially when we're talking about people in the top 5% of earners.

1/1/2014
    This is when a lot of the really big changes happen.
    No more "pre-existing conditions". At all. People will be charged the same regardless of their medical history.
    If you can afford insurance but do not get it, you will be charged a
    fee. This is the "mandate" that people are talking about. Basically,
    it's a trade-off for the "pre-existing conditions" bit, saying that
    since insurers now have to cover you regardless of what you have, you
    can't just wait to buy insurance until you get sick. Otherwise no one
    would buy insurance until they needed it. You can opt not to get
    insurance, but you'll have to pay the fee instead, unless of course
    you're not buying insurance because you just can't afford it.

Insurers now can't do annual spending caps. Their customers can get
    as much health care in a given year as they need.

Make it so more poor people can get Medicaid by making the low-income cut-off higher.
    Small businesses get some tax credits for two years.
    Businesses with over 50 employees must offer health insurance to full-time employees, or pay a penalty.
    Limits how high of an annual deductible insurers can charge customers.
    Cut some Medicare spending
    Place a $2500 limit on tax-free spending on FSAs (accounts for
    medical spending).

Establish health insurance exchanges and rebates for the lower and
    middle-class, basically making it so they have an easier time getting
    affordable medical coverage.

Congress and Congressional staff will only be offered the same
    insurance offered to people in the insurance exchanges, rather than
    Federal Insurance.

A new tax on pharmaceutical companies.
    A new tax on the purchase of medical devices.
    A new tax on insurance companies based on their market share.
    Basically, the more of the market they control, the more they'll get
    taxed.

The amount you can deduct from your taxes for medical expenses increases.
    1/1/2015
    Doctors' pay will be determined by the quality of their care, not how
    many people they treat.

1/1/2017
    If any state can come up with their own plan, one which gives
    citizens the same level of care at the same price as the PPACA, they can
    ask the Secretary of Health and Human Resources for permission to do
    their plan instead of the PPACA. Vermont, for
    example, has expressed a desire to just go straight to single-payer (in
    simple terms, everyone is covered, and medical expenses are paid by
    taxpayers).

All health care plans must now cover preventative care (not just the new ones).
    A new tax on "Cadillac" health care plans (more expensive plans for rich people who want fancier coverage).

The elimination of the "Medicare gap"

Aaaaand that's it right there.

Thanks, inkblot, that's mighty helpful. 
    Gryphon said:

"Them competing isn't so bothersome. It's when they team up that you need to worr"

I think the state trying to eliminate the church is a more relevant issue. The Enlightenment has cast the long shadow of the idea that it's an outrage for people's loyalties to be divided between the City of Man and the City of God (see, e.g. Gibbon on how the Roman state religion was better than Christianity). Even worse, these secularists often think atheism would be even better than paganism.

Corruption of a religion is the same as eliminating it, and the best way to corrupt a religion is to mix it up with the state -- and vice-versa. In the long run nobody wins, the two should be treated like the Hatfields and McCoys: the farther apart, the better. 
  • I honestly do not see the general problem with all of this.

That has not stopped my Ron Paul supporter facebook friends from freaking out, but...yeah.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Honestly, I wasn't aware of a great deal of those changes until that post, and they fix a great deal of what I think is wrong with Health Care in the US.

Not as scary as finding out you have cancer on top of your insurer figuring out they can declare it a "preexisting condition" and refusing to cover anything related.

Yes, I get jokes.
  • DO YOU KNOW WHAT A CANCER IS?!

A CANCER IS A SMALL PART OF A PERSON THAT EATS AWAY AT THEIR VERY okay I'm trying to make a Mondo Medicals reference here and failing. So fuck me, I guess.

• edited 2012-06-28 20:35:10
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    THE ONLY WAY TO KILL A CANCER IS TO SHOOT IT! YOU HAVE TO THINK LIKE A STAR!

More seriously, I'm liking most of the proposed changes.