Heapers' Hangout Idea Repository

edited 2012-04-22 21:51:18 in General
I know a lot of us here (myself included) have a tendency to think up characters/concepts/settings/plots/etc. and then never do anything with them. This is a dumping ground for such ideas, regardless of their usefulness.
Tagged:

Comments

• Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    This is exactly the thread I need for when I'm half-asleep and a new random idea pops up.

I know I've already posted a whole bunch of my unused ideas, but here's a new one first: A bipedal chimera of a canine, an armadillo, and an iguana whose appearance is somewhat inspired by one of the starter monsters from a Japan-only Pokémon-esque game. Like most of my creature ideas, he works as a wizard's assistant.

He doesn't have much yet in terms of personality. He's a bit clumsy and not particularly book-smart, but very friendly, cheerful, and understanding. He likes to call his employers "Boss."
  • Sometimes when I am bored, I speculate on what kind of rap career I'd have if I was actually talented enough to have one.

I've decided that I would jam-pack my verses with references, and build up a variety of personas a la Tyler the Creator.

in other news.

I frequently speculate about "minimal magic" settings, ones where magic is present, but not very powerful. Making even something as ordinarily common in such works as throwing a fireball to be incredibly taxing.

• The Class System of the Stuck 2D Games

Of the 16 playable characters in Stuck at the Wheel, there are 4 different classes that each of them belong to: Basics, Techs, Mods and Tags.

The Basics are, as the name sort of makes obvious, basic platformer characters. They don't have the perks that come with using the other class types, but they all generally have higher speed and health in comparison. Tre, Max, Jake and Allie are Basics.

The Techs are able to hack stuff, essentially. This allows them to make quicker work of opening locked doors and they can take care of robotic enemies in record time. As for robotic bosses, though, they're on the same level thanks to the tighter security measures. Grassy, Cale, Angeline and Sophie are Techs.

The Mods have the ability to modify space and time, but not to a point where they become invincible.The group can reverse time for a few seconds to undo a mistake, and can teleport themselves onto other parts of the level, but only to places that are on the screen at the time. Nora, Marcy, Dalen and Wes are mods.

The Tags are able to tag into the level at any time for each other. Each member of the tag team has their own separate health bar, and the inactive character's health regenerates twice as fast as the active character's. Freddy/Marty and Cici/Piper are Tags.

...If a developer were somehow able to make a platformer that worked like this, it'd be ahhh-mazing.
  • edited 2012-04-24 21:22:57
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    ^A bit late, but I like the idea of Basics, Techs, and Mods. The Tags are confusing me a bit, but that's a minor complaint. Sounds like an interesting system.

I've started thinking about this recently, and Tre's post in the main thread a while ago reminded me of it. How would this work out as a superhero-sidekick dynamic?

The hero is a student learning how to use his (or possibly her) powers, and the sidekick is their personal assistant. Both of them are fairly polite and considerate. The hero is more book-smart and knowledgeable, but they're also prone to anxiety and prefer to keep quiet, especially around strangers. Meanwhile, the sidekick is more intuitive and/or "socially" smart, confident, and outgoing.

It's a bit bare-bones, but could it possibly work out?
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Seems reasonable enough.

While there wouldn't be much conflict between them, you could build on their friendship as a form of character development.
  • necroing cuz I'm writing a thing now. Inspired by a number of things, but primarily standard superhero comics, I got a vague spark of inspiration from Rushdie's Midnight's Children, but the two works have almost nothing in common.

also a common term, IWAT, basically the technospeak term for "superhuman" in this continuity.

Skullboy Comics Universe

• Name: Rebekah Waters
    • Aliases: Nightrunner, Across
    • Threat Level: Extremely Low: Rebekah's attitude makes her a threat only in the sense of the larger public discovering her. And she has proven rather competent at keeping her few uses of her abilities under wraps.
    • Residence: Ironton, Pennsylvania
    • Area Active: East Coast of the United States
    • Physical Appearance: Caucasian. Short, thin, long straight black hair, green eyes. 
      • when altered: jet black skin with white dots. Strong resemblance to a night sky. Eyes and hair solid white.
    • Abilities: Rebekah's abilities have been described as "super speed", but this is technically incorrect. Rather, she appears to be able to subvert, or "turn off" proper friction. Letting her achieve speeds that no normal human should be able to survive at all. It is assumed that her body is somehow modified to be able to cope with such speeds, but exactly how is not known. Her abilities have some resemblance to the flight mechanisms of UFOs.
    • Biography: Rebekah has lived in Ironton her entire life. She lives with her mother only (her father is deceased), attends a local community college and has a job at a pharmacy. Of note, when she was six years old, she went missing for two days, she was returned home safely, with no apparent memories of the event. Connections between this event and her powers are not assumed, but possible

• Name: Ursula Grant-Marshall
    • Aliases: none, sometimes referred to as "The Rake" by internet-users after a popular urban legend.
    • Threat Level: Medium, Ursula's home is extremely remote, but her difficulty in controlling her alter-ego makes her dangerous.
    • Residence: Unincorporated Area, Washington State (near the town of New Sussex)
    • Area Active: Washington State
    • Physical Appearance: Caucasian. Short, medium weight. Short red hair. Blue eyes.
    • Abilities: Ursula, will at seemingly random intervals, transform into a bizarre creature with long claws, and a spindly, bony structure. Said creature is extremely dangerous, and Ursula, while aware of the transformation, appears to have little to no control over the creature. It is known to frequently hunt wildlife in the area around her home.
    • Biography: Ursula nominally lives with her uncle, but he is often away due to Ursula's condition, and seems to care little about her. Ursula attends an online high school.
    • Notes: Ursula's active area has recently extended to most of Washington State, and her shifts appear to be taking longer to wear off. As such, she's started to be noticed by locals and rumors have spread online. 

• Name: Marcus Gemmer
    • Aliases: Helios the Sun-God
    • Threat Level: Medium, despite Marcus' highly destructive powers. He is quite capable of tightly controlling them.
    • Residence: Currently nomadic
    • Physical Appearance: African-american. Tall, short brown hair. Brown eyes. 
    • Abilities: Marcus can, at will, transform into what can flatly be described as a six-foot tall flaming, skull-headed magma golem. In this form, he can create and control fire at will. Though curiously, the fire on his own body is not very hot at all.
    • Biography: Marcus lived most of his life as a completely ordinary person. But, one night fell into an incredibly bizarre dream where a flaming skull addressed him as "Helios the Sun-God" and told him to become a protector of the weak. Marcus awoke to find his bed on fire, and himself in his altered state. He took this as a sign and has taken it upon himself to fight the various evil or evil-esque IWATs who have emerged since the dawn of the millennium. Marcus has developed a strong sense of justice, and was a natural leader even before his transformation.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • should I spin this off into its own thread?
  • edited 2012-05-09 00:39:46
    Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."
    4-day necro time! I'm looking for some feedback on the framework of my idea before I start fleshing it out.

So, I've established something about my fantasy game-story. I seem to have more of a desire to create non-human characters. Out of the main character ideas I've had so far, only one of them is a human. For reference, here are brief summaries the ideas I've had so far.

1. The story revolves around the students of a dragon magic teacher. Naturally, one of the main characters is this teacher. She's something of a mother figure. She has the ability to communicate through dreams.
    2. Okay, I'll admit it. The one human character is based on me, but with the ability to learn magic. In terms of personality, he's very knowledgeable and polite but shy and often nervous.
    3. Another student is a strange bipedal beast whose origin I haven't quite decided on. He's the least experienced in using magic, but he's physically powerful. He has a cheery personality and strong intuition. He is particularly good friends with my author avatar and decided to work as his personal assistant, to their mutual benefit.
    4. The oldest and most experienced of the students is a dragon cursed into the body of a giant python. He's the cool, level-headed "big brother" of the team.

I also want to include another human and another dragon in this team (both female for future reference), but I haven't given much thought to their personalities or any unique abilities yet. But anyhow, does this sound like a reasonable group of main characters?
  • It's 4:20 somewhere.
    Doesn't have to be just about fiction, right?

Anyway, I've had this idea for a joke, but I'm not sure where to go with it. It's meant to poke fun at the phrasing people use when they say that they have a "relationship" with God, and then drawing an analogy between unreturned calls and unanswered prayers. You know, like maybe God just isn't really into them.
  • edited 2012-05-15 01:34:03
    Three RPG character profiles I've whipped up. For reference, this is about half of the main cast.

Rialta
    • Favorite Color: Purple
    • Favorite Magical Element: Lightning (maybe Water instead?)
    • Appearance: Rialta is a dragon with black scales, a dark grey stomach, and blue eyes. She has frills extending backward from her head instead of horns. Her claws are about average size for a dragon and neatly groomed. Her tail lacks spines, bumps, or hidden weapons. Her wings are large and bat-like in appearance.
    • Basic Personality: Rialta, like most of her partners, is kind-hearted and friendly. She also has a strong sense of honor, which is reflected in her dedication to learning about both magic and her own unusual ability. She prefers to be open and honest whenever she can. This is partly because she believes that, since she can sense others’ thoughts and feelings, it would only be fair for her to tell the truth about what she’s thinking.
    • Special Abilities: Rialta has basic psychic powers. She is telekinetic and can read other people’s surface thoughts and emotions.
    • Other Notes: The team’s magic teacher, Coral (name subject to change), is a friend of Rialta’s family. Rialta herself is the daughter of one of the town’s celebrated heroes, who died soon after protecting the town from an unscrupulous dragon magician while Rialta was too young to remember anything.

Matthew
    • Favorite Color: Blue
    • Favorite Magical Element: Water (maybe Lightning instead?)
    • Appearance: Matthew is a human with thick, somewhat messy, dark hair and dull brown eyes. His skin is light and slightly blush-toned on his face and arms. He is noticeably but not morbidly overweight. He wears glasses with rounded rectangular lenses and a simple, brass-colored frame. He prefers to be clean-shaven if he can.
    • Basic Personality: Matthew is nervous, shy, and a little sensitive, so he won’t talk much unless he’s around people that he’s made friends with. However, he makes a good effort to be kind and polite, saying “thank you” and “have a nice day” to people who help him out. He’s very knowledgeable and interested in magic and zoology. However, outside of how to be polite, he isn’t as socially adept as the rest of the team, and he has a bad habit of not telling people when something’s troubling him.
    • Special Abilities: Matthew doesn’t have any unique powers like the rest of the characters thus far. However, he has a strong memory, a decent backlog of random knowledge, and can eventually learn a diverse range of spells.
    • Other Notes: While looking for magic teachers, Matthew met Rialta and began to make friends with her. He was surprised to learn that Rialta’s mother was the town hero. Rialta recommended Coral to him, and Matthew was eventually accepted and moved into Coral’s “boarding school.” At the start of the adventure, he has mostly but not completely adjusted to his new home in the dragon community.
    • More Other Notes: To be perfectly honest, Matthew is based on myself (though Matthew isn’t my real name; I just picked another normal-sounding name that I liked). I hope I’m not making myself too perfect or overpowered.
  • edited 2012-05-15 01:36:59
    Apparently just pasting it as plain text works well too. Thanks! Continuing on:

Nimbus
    • Favorite Color: Green
    • Favorite Magical Element: Wind
    • Appearance: What kind of beast Nimbus is supposed to be isn’t entirely clear. His head and teeth mostly look like those of a saber-toothed cat, though the shape of his face is squarer and somewhat canine. His body is somewhat bulky but surprisingly fast and agile. He has a thick, muscular tail that drags slightly on the ground, perhaps to help keep him standing on two feet. Every part of his body except his back is covered with golden brown fur. His back is covered in a dark-colored, tough, leathery plate. His eyes are green. He keeps the claws on his hands trimmed.
    • Basic Personality: Nimbus is very cheerful and fun-loving, though he knows when to tone it down. He’s also loyal to his friends and enjoys helping them out whenever he can. He isn’t quite as book-smart as the other team members and has trouble wrapping his head around the finer points of magic theory. But he makes up for this with surprisingly strong intuition and fierce dedication and perseverance.
    • Special Abilities: Nimbus’s strong intuition is helped by his ability to sense when someone who he’s close to is in danger. In addition, despite having trouble with other forms of magic, he can manipulate wind (and by extension use offensive and utility spells of that element).
    • Other Notes: Nimbus works as Matthew’s personal assistant because he was impressed by Matthew’s knowledge and how quickly he caught on to Coral’s lessons. He often affectionately refers to Matthew as “Boss.”

And as a random bonus, a few notes on the names:
    • Rialta – A shameless corruption of the Irish Gaelic word réalta, meaning “star.” It’s kind of a reference to Dragonheart – the constellation Draco plays a big role in that movie.
    • Coral – I wanted to name her after a red gemstone besides Ruby and Garnet, but Coral was the only one on a random list of red gemstones I found that appealed to me as a name.
    • Nimbus – This one gave me a little trouble. He was originally named “Rookie,” but I wanted to give him a more respectable name. Eventually, I thought that since he has wind powers, the Latin word for cloud should be appropriate enough.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-05-15 11:34:27
    The Beanery and Creamery is Greyson City's most popular chain of coffeehouses and ice cream parlors thanks to its combination of both concepts.

The chain is also well known around Greyson thanks to its iconic ad campaign that subverts the expectations found in most advertising mascots.

Bobbi is an anthropomorphized blue ice cream cup. She's a sweet young lady and doesn't try to offend most of the time. Despite her nice nature, audiences tend not to respond as well to her as much as other mascots of her type, mostly because shortly after her introduction she was upstaged by her male counterpart.

Clarence is Bobbi's boyfriend, a green coffee cup, and he's got massive issues. He's a borderline psychotic, caffeine-addicted, often antisocial, sarcastic mug with a long-term plan to take over Earth-- but he's an amazing pitchman and knows exactly how to sell coffee to the Greyson City public. He's also, strangely enough, very kind toward his girlfriend and doesn't seem to mind customers at the B+C most of the time.

Because Clarence doesn't have the clearance (hehe) to carry out his world domination plans, he hangs out with Bobbi at their local B+C and entertains himself by harassing rude customers and watching TV all day.

The popularity of the ad campaign helped the B+C grow into a 10-location chain around Greyson, and a healthy source of their income comes from real-life versions of Clarence and Bobbi sold in stores.

[stuckiverse]
  • Remember back in the 50s when they'd record like Elvis singing YOU AIN'T NOTHIN BUT A HOUND DOG and then they'd turn the record over and reverse it and it was all NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP NYERP and people were all like, "That is actually the voice of Satan coming from that song."

Tre: Heh. Sounds like an interesting set of mascots.

I like the amount of detail you put into all the different restaurants around the city. I know it's partly because that's where most of the action takes place, but still, that makes it a bit easier to make a mental picture of the setting.

• When my brother asked to be in Stuck, I agreed. But then he started getting this weird idea that his character, Jake, was apparently a vampire. I knew I had to find a way to make it work with the rules of the Stuckiverse, so vampirism works a little differently than how you'd expect it to. 

Jake is 17 and probably will stop aging sometime as soon as he gets "old enough". Technically he's actually like 500 years old, but he's had a few scuffles that made him, for lack of a better word, regenerate. 

It's similar to the regenerations you might've seen in Dr. Who, where after the Doctor gets on the verge of death, he turns into a new person with a new look and demeanor. The vampires don't do it exactly like that, though -- while the Doctor regenerates into a fully grown man, they turn back into babies. Weird, yes, but I had to find a way to make a 17-year-old adopted vampire fit in somewhat with his family without being 17 the whole time. 

Likewise, I also changed a few other things. 

Vampires can burn in sunlight if they're out too long; the most they can take's about two hours. (This is why Jake usually carries an umbrella around even in Greyson's hot and dry summers.)

They can eat human food, but it isn't as pleasant to the vampiric palate as blood is, be it human or animal. (Usually a telling sign of a vampire is if you see someone walking out of a grocery store with a red butcher's bag.)

They don't sparkle. Oh hell no. 

As a bit of a joke, they all can do perfect Transylvanian accents, even the ones that aren't even remotely Transylvanian, like Jake. 

Garlic is delicious to them, actually, and crosses won't do much to them unless you beat them on top of the head with one. Wooden stakes are still deadly though.

They generally age normally until their very, very late teens, at which point they stop until a regeneration is required. 

You can be turned by either getting bitten (without dying from blood loss, of course) or by drinking an active vampire's blood. 

They're not immortal, but they literally live so long that it's a relative moot point. 

One category of related things they were pretty good at in their human life becomes their specialty once they're turned. In Jake's case, it's been games, sports and luck. (This is why he almost always beats Tre in fighting games and stuff, though Tre is usually able to best him a few times here or there.)

Most of them are pretty big fans of chainsaws. 
  • edited 2012-05-16 23:32:18
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Elseworld story: Batman, the Dark Lord.

Ra's al Ghul is a very superstitious man. Every hundred and fifty years, when the star Algol wanes and the Orphiucus system is brightest, he gathers his philosopher-lieutenants - the Nine Unknown Swordsmen - to his mountain retreat that he might be prepared for an inevitable usurpation.

But there comes a time when a rat finds a way into the fortress and widdles on the food. The day that the derelict and aimless Bruce Wayne attacks directly at Ra's honor and succeeds, winning a crown he did not want and a voice in his head.

Nine unknown men fell on their blades that day, and nine (or was it eight?) swords (or was it books?) were lost in the chaos.

That was a year ago, and by that time Wayne has returned to Gotham, bringing whatever remains of the Demon's Head with him, using his agents and resources to combat both regular crime as well as the newer, wilder crime which harkened to the pre-war days of costumed mystery-men.

But now, with rumors and tales of the villains of Gotham finding strange books and mysterious weapons, of madmen becoming even madder, must Bruce Wayne don armour as black as night to face the terrors himself?
  • Living tissue over endoskeleton.
    There are few things I like more than a good alternate take on Batman.

---

I want to make a low-scale space opera TV series. It'd be primarily focused on comedy, as a bunch of ragtag rebels do everything in their power to bring down the vast empire that's taken/taking over large swaths of the galaxy(A point would be made to keep from painting every member of this empire in a bad light.)

The heroes have realized that destroying the empire is pretty much impossible, so they settle for infuriating it every chance they get. This includes committing tax fraud, wasting imperial resources, and generally being nuisances. As the show goes on, they would become more devoted to actually striking out against the empire, culminating in the creation of  a resistance movement and full-scale rebellion.

The aesthetics of the show would be deliberately low-budget and inspired by early Nintendo hardware, run through an Alien/Blade Runner blender.

I got this idea while watching Spaceballs.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-06-19 03:56:07
    Sparks is a half-sequel to Stuck set in an alternate universe. This is sort of what I have planned for it, as told to a friend of mine. 

T: Basically what happens in Sparks is the gang goes off to find the Skateboard while Tre is off vacationing, and while they're in the junkyard they find The Rift, a tear in reality that creates weird shifts in its surroundings, to the point where a whole city can be affected by its "wrath" (if you can call it that). 

Max, being the genius that he is, jumps inside. The rest of the gang thinks he won't come back out, but he does, and then he's able to lift cars and stuff. The Rift itself closes after all of them go into it, so that's why Tre can't get any powers. Apparently there's a different guy who overheard the gang talking about it though, and so he finds a way to reopen the Rift for his own gain.

K: Nice. Also of course Max jumped in first. Being max.

T: Yeah, he's that kind of dude. 

As you could expect, the evil guy, Erik, finds a way to gain his own powers, but once he does it, the tear might open up too far for its own good-- and it might just release something even the Crew themselves might not be able to stop from taking control-- first Greyson, then the world. 

K: So wait, the Rift begins to brainwash them? 

T: No, they're immune to the Rift's effects but something else occurs. 

K: What does?

T: It doesn't create zombies, per se, but the Rift does start to take over people. Erik is the first guy we see who does. 

K: So the Rift's power begins to sap people of their willpower and kinda makes them mindless?

T: Yeah, though it can't take over people with ridiculously high willpower-- that's the reason why the Crew can keep themselves in control, Tre included. 

K: Yay! Willpower!

T: Tre does have a bit of trouble with it though, since he's already kinda bummed about the whole "no powers" thing and jumping in the Rift would just make him like Erik, or worse. 

Essentially, the gang has to keep Erik at bay and close the Rift before it becomes something bigger-- a crack in reality itself. 

K: Oooooooeeeeeeooooooo

----

Weird, half of that I came up with on the spot but half I already had planned before I told K about it. 

• LOL I KILLED A THREAD LEMME REVIVE IT

anyway, ahem.

So in another Sparks related thingy, I'm starting to think it'd be cool if somebody, hero or villain, had the ability to change how someone else saw their environment. It wouldn't be mind control, per se, but just a bit of a perception switch-- almost like an on-the-fly perception filter that changes at the user's will.
  • I'm the only one here who uses this thing I think. Ah well. Perfect for whoever'll end up taking over the Stuck wiki if it goes big.

Anyway, Stuck at School's the second entry in the series and I wrote it in 2009 back when I was a lonely and bullied kid with venting issues. I still like some parts of it (like Tre and Nora's inevitable breakup) but overall now I think it's a stinky, stupid pile of steaming s... crap, so I thought up a new sequel to Stuck at the Galleria last night named Stuck at the Threshold.

Of course, this is all hypothetical right now but I'm still posting it just so it doesn't become a great idea gone to waste.

So yeah, it's four months after Stuck 1, and Tre and the Crew are essentially living large and having fun, but the perfectness of everything cracks when a zombified version of Tre's neighbor Carla shows up at his door. Tre gets out of that one unscathed thanks to a perfectly timed Nerf shot from his brother, but soon enough Tre and the Crew find out it wasn't just a one-time incident, and they end up uncovering a mad scientist teen genius's plans to turn Greyson into an all-out warzone where only the strongest would survive against the virus.
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well I did want to craft a tabletop RPG that mixes elements of Digimon, Alice in Wonderland, Homestuck, and other children's adventures with themes of displacement, bitterness, and fear, but that will have to wait until I get more experienced with actual gameplay.
  • edited 2012-08-27 14:37:35
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Not Genesis P-Orridge, Mark Pauline. The two were acquainted, though, seeing as both were tight with Monte Cazazza.

Jan Svankmayer's work with stuffed animals in Alice is pretty impressive.
  • TreTre
    edited 2012-08-27 15:42:09
    Lumine said:

I want to build robots out of dead animals, like Genesis P-Orridge. When my dog dies I will create an undead cyborg dog.

Ooooh, it'll be like Frankenweenie but futuristic! :P
  • for personal reference. These are Transformers OCs.

Name: Chromeplate
    Faction: Decepticon (Chromeplate's Crew)
    Alt-Mode: Cybertronian Car
    Equipment
       Path Blaster
       Subsonic Repeater
       Scatter Blaster
       Invisibility Cloak
    Appearance: Small, especially for a Transformer, with a small, mostly featureless domed head with a single "line" visor serving as optic input, no mouth. Chromeplate is almost always painted an assortment of bright, metallic, gaudy colors, see below.
    Description: Chromeplate is the leader of the small squad of four mercenaries named after himself. In practice, they are almost always Decepticons, due to the Autobots' general unwillingness to trust mercenaries in general. Chromeplate and his squadron do their work well, and are well-rewarded for it. Chromeplate himself tends to spend the money he earns on fresh coats of paint. Always in some bright, eye-catching color. Chromeplate is a bit of a peacock in this sense, and likes to show off. Camouflage is not really a problem for him, due to his cloak. Chromeplate is surprisingly effective at direct combat for such a small 'bot, and often uses his size to his advantage, bobbing and weaving between the legs of larger foes.

Name: Stratoreactor
    Alt-Mode: Cybertronian Wingman Jet
    Equipment:
       Neutron Rifle
       C.L.U.T.C.H. Turret Sentry
       Energon Repair Beam
    Appearance: Tall but wide, mostly painted a faded orange-on-silver. Head is bare silver with two sharp, red eyes. 
    Description: In addition to being the team's impromptu medic, Stratoreactor ("Strat" for short, his full name is reserved for people he doesn't like) is also the Chromeplate Crew's support combatant, directing his C.L.U.T.C.H. turret to assist the other members in combat and using his Energon Beam for quick repairs while he does. He enjoys zipping around the battlefield while doing this, but that's mostly because he has a not-so-well concealed addiction to transforming. His transformation cog is beginning to wear out, and as such, he's in the market for a new one. His orange paint and scratched off bits thereof hint at his past life as an Autobot seeker, one he has left behind with little regret.

Name: Steelsides
    Alt-Mode: Cybertronion Convoy Truck
    Equipment:
      Energon Mace
      Riot Cannon
    Appearance: Steelsides is the second largest of Chromeplate's gang. He'd look larger if he weren't hunched over all the time. Has a sloped, gorilla-like head with a pronounced jaw and chin. He has blue eyes, and is painted blue and silver.
    Description: Steelsides was a mighty Autobot warrior once. Emphasis on "once". He did not betray his faction as such, rather, he was a victim of unspeakable tortures in one of the many citadels of Kaon. He was effectively lobotomized when Chromeplate (then under a very brief tenure with the Autobots) found him. He, of course, "freed" the warrior, and had Stratoreactor reconstruct the ex-Autobot's brain. He is not terribly intelligent--indeed, he either cannot speak, or simply doesn't--but he follows orders seemingly of his own free will. He and the Steelsides who were captured by the Decepticons so long ago are not truly the same person.

Name: Curbstomp
    Alt-Mode: Cybertronian Wrecker Tank / Immobile Artillery Cannon
    Equipment:
       Gravity Cannon (x2)
       Scrapmaker Machine Gun
       Energon Harvester
       Corrosive Slime Cannon
       Flak Shield
    Appearance: Curbstomp is massive, easily Titan-sized. His body is rather blocky, too, making it difficult for him to squeeze through small passages. He is painted purple-on-black, and has a prominent Decepticon symbol on his chest.
    Description: Curbstomp is by far the most outwardly evil of Chromeplate's gang. He is not in the company for the money, he enjoys being feared and reviled. He will, if allowed, often leave a single victim alive out of many, so that his legend may grow among the ranks of the Autobots. The wicked triple-changer has no tolerance for the messages of peace that Optimus Prime preaches, and dreams of one day getting the chance to fight the Autobot leader himself.

Lineage of the Primes

Primus

Prima

Alpha Prime*

Decimus Prime

Guardian Prime

Nova Prime

Nominus Prime

Sentinel Prime

Zeta Prime

Optimus Prime

*the only Prime to have ever retired rather than be killed. Now known as Alpha Trion.

• An idea for a video game setting: The Chaos Plane. It would comprise of several weird floaty island thingies that share a biome: One is called Fractured Forest and is just a series of forest islands floating in chaos space. Another would be called the Cascading Isles (If it sounds familiar, it should; I got the idea for the name, and by extension the entire setting from the area of Vvardenfell called the Ascadian Isles) and would comprise of a single large island with a huge waterfall and underneath it are smaller islands that feed off of the waterfall (hrm, could've explained that better). Another one would be called The Spiral Planes/Drillfrost Peak which would be sort of a two-in-one area. On one side would be a fairly bare plane area that spirals downward, but you can go through certain caves to go to the other side and switch gravity, putting you on an icy mountain that goes upward. 

• FLIPSIDE: THE TABLETOP RPG

RACES

standard Flipside races

Humans--
      Identical to humans from our own world. Comparatively rare on the Flipside, where they are far outnumbered by Witches and Oni (also hairless primates, and sharing a relatively close common ancestor, but otherwise distinct races). Humans are a minority in most nations in the Flipside and have a small kingdom of their own (Terrende). They are capable of interbreeding with Witches, Oni, and (due to their nature) The Changing, but rarely do so. Humans in nations other than Terrende are considered something of a novelty by other species. Most humans on The Flipside are dark-skinned, as Terrende is located partially in a desert. Humans are not born being able to control any type of Magic but can learn it in the rare event that they befriend a being who can and is willing to teach them. 

Witches--
    Outwardly very similar to humans, Witches are in fact something rather different. Witches on the whole were indeed once humans (or rather, the close ancestors thereof) but the same event that split Earth and the Flipside altered their genetics to give them innate access to and control over Prismaticka, making them inherently magical. Witches are disinclined to create and use technology, as magic makes most of it unnecessary (though this has changed recently to at least some extent), as such most Witch-ruled nations live in a technological level comparable to that of a late medieval or early Renaissance in our own world. Witches are usually thin, and are physically weak, their muscles having atrophied somewhat over the generations. Height range in witches is significantly wider than it is in human beings. Full-grown Witches can be anywhere from 5 to 8 feet tall. Eye and hair color also vary widely, with shades such as emerald green and deep purple being rather common, and rainbow and even transparent hair being rare but not unheard of. Skin color is mostly a similar gamut to humans, though literal black or white skin is possible. The most drastic difference between Witches and Humans however, is that all Witches appear, to a human anyway, female. They are not so, as sexes do indeed exist in Witches, but many of the physical distinguishing features have vanished. Witches are the most common species on the Flipside

Oni--
    Oni are a short, stout race of humanoids that are, like Witches, descended from Humans. Oni have no nations of their own, usually either keeping to a tribe or clan, or joining the civilized societies of another race. Most Oni appear male, much as most Witches appear female. Oni have a wide range of skin and eye colors, running the chromatic spectrum. But most Oni’s hair is either black or white.

Spirits/Jellies--
    The creatures known as Spirits are not undead at all. Rather, they are humanoids related to The Changing and descended distantly from jellyfish. Their light composition gives them the appearance of being ethereal, and their ghostly floating only serves to add to the confusion. There are two main cultures of Spirits, Northern and Southern, Northern Spirits often live among Witches or Humans, making their livings as fortune tellers, or entertainers. Southern-culture Spirits prefer to live away from other civilizations except rarely, and often have descriptive names (such as Moving-Slowly) in contrast to the simple, monosyllibaic names of the Northern Spirits (a famous example being Siin, one of the old Prima of Dorado).

CLASSES

Otherworlder: As an Otherworlder, you are a curiosity to the residents of the Flipside, you are (or rather, once were) a mere ordinary human from our own world. But some twist of fate landed you here, and your body reacted to the mystic energies of this new plane. You've become far stronger, faster, and more energetic. Fighting comes naturally to you, but you can generally smooth-talk your way out of a situation pretty well. Back on your home-plane, you were probably incredibly average, maybe even rather nerdy. But how you react to your new life depends on the individual, you might never want to leave, or you might want to get home as soon as possible.
      Meta: Physical fighting class with a side-dose of leadership skills. Great in 1-on-1, and can also buff teammates. Takes hits to things that require intimate knowledge of local culture, though, for obvious reasons. Generally has only slight knowledge of magic. May also be the party's smith and equipment enchanter.

Focus Mage: The closest thing the Flipside has to a wizard. As a Focalist, your role is pure offense, and you don't react well to situations that can't be solved by blasting something in the face. Witches are often Focalists, but you might also be a human, or even an Oni. You keep your focuses bag on-hand at all times. Always ready to spark a fireball or blast an enemy with a magic energy beam. You also likely wield an arcane cannon--legal or otherwise--to channel your vast magic powers through.
      Meta: Mix of your standard sorcerer and a barbarian. Good for combat-heavy campaigns and comes with a very wide variety of offensive spells, with some defensive and support as backup, but needs material components for almost everything. Good for "cool factor" too.

Beast & Master: Technically two characters in one, you have total control over some manner of magical creature (or smaller creatures, should you so desire). Your command of magic is highly specialized, being mostly aid for your minion, but when the two of you are in the same room (which is often, you're inseperable) you make mincemeat of any would-be opponents. Your creature can be anything from a stoic golem to a savage tamed monster.
       Meta: Unusual class to say the least. Needs a solid role.

Alchemist: More proactive arcanists (read: Focalists) often decry Alchemy as an overly highbrow, elitist form of the arts. But you know better, you know that careful study of mystic chemical equations balanced and distilled into liquid form is the path to true power, slow though it may be. Your formulas can do anything from dramatically increase your own physical capabilities and those of others (mutagens), to bring enemies under your sway, perhaps even permanently (potions) to even alter the physical properties of matter itself (elixirs). You keep a collapsible formula brewery on your person at all times, because one never knows when the next breakthrough might come to you. 
      Meta: Versatile class, can serve as healing, buffing, offense with thrown potions, and even melee (with mutagens) in an extreme pinch. Best played by a clever player who can make use of the many assorted formulas the class can create in unusual ways.

Tinker: As a tinker, you can be many things. A mad scientist, a studious transhumanist, or simply someone looking to better the lot of his or her people. As a tinker, you have a few options for making your particular mechanical brand of magic work. You can write out long scrolls of reality-altering "code". You can create and experiment with magical devices, and even imbue life into automatons.
      Meta: Class that needs the most work. Might get split into a mechanical tinker and a magic "computer programmer". Needs a defined role.

• Mack Fremont
    aka "The Samurai of Ironton"

A skinny drifter with dark hair, pale skin and big brown eyes. Wields a plastic katana he thinks (or at least, claims to think) is a real one, often picks fights. Homeless and currently wandering the United States with The Trucker. "Mack" is short for Mackenzie but if you tell anyone that, he'll cut you.

Ebenezer Dunbar
    aka "The Trucker"

Retired trucker who rambles all over North America in his old big rig. Likes Jimmy Buffet, enjoys Mack's company. Has an old teddy bear named Arty.

• Your idea is really cool. You seem like you're good at world building.

• Like the characters and the races and whatnot.
  • oh the tabletop.

Yeah, I hit a rather major snag though unfortunately. I don't know what to do for mechanics.

The d20 system confuses me, I don't know anything about GURPS, and making my own system from scratch is just a no-go.

This probably won't be what you want to use, but maybe you could try a d6 system? You could use the Final Fantasy d6 fangame for reference.
  • Where would I learn about this "d6 system"?
  • edited 2012-10-03 21:46:00
    That's a very good question! Which is why I said you probably wouldn't use it.

FFd6 is the only reference point I have, I'm afraid. Its main point is that everything is decided by d6 rolls, mostly 2d6. Relatively simple compared to most tabletop games.
  • I don't like doing this, but what does anyone think of my idea?
  • ^^It might be a good backbone for a system, but it'd lack the necessary customization required for a blank-slate RPG, I'd think
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    I know a lot about GURPs if that helps.

It basically uses 3D6s to replicated a percentile system. Damage is also through D6s.

Characters are heavily micro-managed though, the point system hits everything to major and minor disadvantages to quirks.