Kentucky Derby hype

Why is it a thing? With horse racing having almost completely dropped off the broader cultural radar, about the only reasons the Derby still draws widespread attention are, to my knowledge, tradition, and because celebrities show up for it for some reason.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I have to ask: Where is this a thing?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    Louisville.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I mean, it’s not like people don’t still watch horse racing outside of Kentucky. That said, I’m not sure where you acquire notions like this?
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    horse racing is a thing over here (the Cheltenham races definitely draw a lot of people), but it's like, there are people who care about horse racing and people who don't, and most people are the latter

and i'm among the latter, so i'm not sure whether people over here who care about horse racing care about the Kentucky Derby
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Yeah, it’s the same here. It’s not super niche like Olympic curling or something but it’s a bit like figure skating or, honestly, soccer in the States, in that there’s a certain kind of person who really cares and a lot of people who get occasionally curious but aren’t big on it.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Tachyon said:

Louisville.

oh that makes sense, their recent basketball success just got unpersoned recently so it's not like they have anything else

• ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    The Derby gives people an excuse to wear great hats, and it gets people hyped for the potential of a Triple Crown winner.
  • Tachyon said:

Louisville.

Lexington too.
  • Kentucky has a racehorse on their state quarter, fwiw.

also the Triple Crown is a title given to the winner of, and by extension a name referring to, three horse races, of which the Kentucky Derby is only one.  The other two are in Elmont, NY, and Baltimore, MD.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I remember finally realizing the pun in "Kentucky: Unbridled Spirit" and feeling really stupid for not figuring it out sooner.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    i have never seen those words before and i immediately recognised it, but i am also me, so
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

i have never seen those words before and i immediately recognised it, but i am also me, so

A huge dork?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    My sister used to be way into the Derby thing, like, a decade ago.

I think she probably still cares? Watches it, anyway.
    Crystal said:

A huge dork?
    that and also a huge punster I think.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    So, a huge dork, because Fossilmaiden puns.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    My husband is in the movie Secretariat, in the Kentucky Derby scene. He's one of the track side security men, on screen for a few seconds in the midground as horses run by in the foreground.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    he was an extra!
    Tre said:

Tachyon said:

Louisville.

Lexington too.
    I heard the checkerboard pattern on the Kentucky basketball jerseys is horse race related; is that true
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Congratulations to everyone who bet on Justify.