I have to say

Referring to bad things by sarcastically calling them “normal” is pretty square

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    is this something twitter people do
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Yes, generally Donald Trump will declare himself Generalissimo of Fast Food and outlaw Taco Bell or some such thing and then some twitter dude will go "Wow, extremely normal presidency we have here" with a link to a news story about the thing

Or some video game nerd will go "I will PERSONALLY SELF-IMMOLATE if CHEETAHMEN is not RE-RELEASED AND REMASTERED FOR THE SWITCH" and 9volt or some similar douche will go "Wow, extremely normal hobby we have here" with a tweet quote to the thing
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    presumably you mean the twitter personality but the name 9volt will never not make me think of
    anyway re:the presidency

i can't remember where i read this, but the argument i saw was that we need to keep reiterating how abnormal this presidency is to prevent far-right politics from becoming normalized
  • edited 2018-05-03 17:53:20
    Tachyon said:

presumably you mean the twitter personality but the name 9volt will never not make me think of

I mean that guy used to be his twitter picture iirc
    Tachyon said:

anyway re:the presidency

i can't remember where i read this, but the argument i saw was that we need to keep reiterating how abnormal this presidency is to prevent far-right politics from becoming normalized
    The counterargument to this is that (slightly-less-)far-right politics were already normal in the States and overemphasizing Trump's unusual qualities implicitly suggests the rest of the Republican Party isn't also extremely bad.

Meh, I think there's fair points both ways, I guess I mostly just think it's important to remember Trump is more of a symptom than a cause.

I suspect this in particular is mostly orthogonal to the thing that Odradek is annoyed by though.
    I'm annoyed because it reminds me of Chaposphere "Why can't the left just be NORMAL and stop yelling at me for calling people r*tards and stop it with all these genders and trigger warnings and just focus on the White Working Class"

"Normal" is not a value in itself, and I just think people should stop treating it as one and say "fucked up" or "terrible" or any one of the other thousands of words we have to describe bad things
    I realize most people who use the "extremely normal" meme don't mean any of that stuff, but
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    or "abominable"
  • edited 2018-05-03 18:58:05
    imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch

I mean that guy used to be his twitter picture iirc

oh, that makes sense

I guess I mostly just think it's important to remember Trump is more of a symptom than a cause.

yeah, true enough
    Odradek said:

I'm annoyed because it reminds me of Chaposphere "Why can't the left just be NORMAL and stop yelling at me for calling people r*tards and stop it with all these genders and trigger warnings and just focus on the White Working Class"

"Normal" is not a value in itself, and I just think people should stop treating it as one and say "fucked up" or "terrible" or any one of the other thousands of words we have to describe bad things
    yeah, understandable
    ok that's unsettling
  • i read that and i get the "i don't know what is going on but this sounds weird like you're half-subtly trying to insult something" feeling
    "well adjusted regular people"
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Tachyon said:

"well adjusted regular people"