I hate the stupid names Microsoft gives to Windows 10's updates

Windows 10
Windows 10 November Update (They didn't even specify a year!)
Windows 10 Anniversary Update
Windows 10 Creators Update
Windows 10 Fall Creators Update
Windows 10 Spring Creators Update

Marketing gets in the way of clarity here, I think. Because each release has an easily-understood version number corresponding to the year and month of its release...1511 for November 2015, 1703 for March 2017, etc. But because they're almost always referred to by the stupid-ass names instead of the version numbers, people don't have a clue what I'm talking about when I say I finally upgraded from 1607 to 1703 or whatever.

Comments

• Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    They should be more like Ubuntu and use animals
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    You joke, but at least the Ubuntu ones are unique and memorable.
    I was only half joking. I still remember that there was either a Red Hat or Fedora version named Shrike, and of course Debian uses Toy Story characters. Macs ran out of big cats and started using their employees' vacation destinations, which is also what a bunch of Windows codenames were
    Also what the duck does creators have to do with any of the updates
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    And Android uses desserts!

Ubuntu and Android also have the bonus of assigning theirs in alphabetical order, so you can easily tell what order they came in...though Ubuntu hit Z last year and had to start over from A, which is pretty funny.
    What'll be really funny is when Android reaches X.
    Maybe it's just because it's really late, but I burst out in laughter trying to think of X desserts.
    You made that up.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Xanthan Gum?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-03-25 07:47:31
    I hate when they make updates that actually remove options and don't tell you.  One of the Win10 updates stealth removed the option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is present -- accidental palm-clicks aren't just annoying, they're a security risk.  Turns out clicking unwanted shit on the internet can be dangerous.

Also one of those "Creators Updates" removed an entire set of .NET Framework versions from their support, which singlehandedly crashed every single C# project at my old workplace overnight.  Creators indeed.
    Jeez. I hadn't encountered any of that.
  • Bee said:

I hate when they make updates that actually remove options and don't tell you.  One of the Win10 updates stealth removed the option to disable the touchpad when a mouse is present -- accidental palm-clicks aren't just annoying, they're a security risk.  Turns out clicking unwanted shit on the internet can be dangerous.

what

okay fuck Win10

Bee said:

Also one of those "Creators Updates" removed an entire set of .NET Framework versions from their support, which singlehandedly crashed every single C# project at my old workplace overnight.  Creators indeed.
    I thought it had something to do with gaming but I'm not sure
  • IIRC they replaced old versions of .NET plugins with a native framework (which honestly needed to happen) but put zero effort into backward compatibility.  It would falsely report that you had no framework version at all.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    that i can understand happening by accident, at least, but why remove the option to disable the touchpad?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    because Microsoft
  • huh, my laptop uses Synaptics and there’s still the option of the touchpad disabling when a USB mouse is attached
  • edited 2018-03-26 00:10:24
    Win10 Dogamecube Update
    I see the option too.