Textbook publishers are fucking evil

You know how they sell the US edition for $150 and the international edition for $40?

Well, now they've caught on to the fact that American students like me are importing the international editions to save money...and they've resorted to rearranging the homework problems in the international editions. So when you professor assigns you problem 1.13, you'd better be looking at the US edition, because in the international edition that one's called problem 1.11.

😡 😡 😡

Comments

• kill living beings
    once i bought an international edition and it was just missing an entire chapter

my professor copied the homework problems for me, but from then on I had no moral reservations about piracy
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always go for piracy first, but I couldn't find the right edition of this one online.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    They are.
  • and they've resorted to rearranging the homework problems in the international editions.

This is also usually the only difference between the current edition and the previous one, to keep you from buying used too.  I mean let's face it, basic calculus hasn't exactly changed a whole lot in the last five years.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Bee said:

and they've resorted to rearranging the homework problems in the international editions.

This is also usually the only difference between the current edition and the previous one, to keep you from buying used too.  I mean let's face it, basic calculus hasn't exactly changed a whole lot in the last five years.
    Which is also bullshit, but at least that's bullshit I've come to expect by now.
    My solution, for the record, was to go to the Science & Engineering Library, take the copy of the current US edition they have on reserve, and scan the pages with the assigned homework problems. I'm certainly not interested in spending more money on another copy of the damn book.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2018-01-27 20:10:34
    Yeah when they made me take Calc III (despite passing the challenge test for it with like 90%) I just went to the library and wrote down the problems.  I'd already been doing the relevant math for two years and simultaneously taking a more advanced math course.
    I was lucky in that our GTA posted a list of homework problems for the entire semester, so I could literally just spend an hour with this textbook and a flatbed scanner copying all the pages that I needed for the entire course.
  • lol, region-locking DRM
    Analog Rights Management
  • Analog Rights Management

how analog rights management works:
    if you want to copy the book you have to copy it page by page