General Heapers' Music-peoples Thread

Comments

• so I got bored today and this happened.

That used to be a mellow jazz-inspired track. It's definitely not that anymore.

I'm not sure what to call it other than "Hudmo-esque" which isn't a label I really want to define myself by, and even that only applies in a very vague sense. I'm not sure if this is a direction I want to pursue or not.

also the ending part sucks. I've since removed it.

• edited 2013-01-24 03:50:54

https://soundcloud.com/apoplectic/alkaline-blurr-working-title

a few ideas, not really put together effectively yet

i'm proud of the bassline though, and finding those Speak & Spell samples was haaaarrrrddddd ;_;
  • btw some feedback on how much the bass sounds like a proper 303 would be lurrrvely~
  • I'm trying to listen to it but soundcloud is being a fuck.

I'll give you feedback on yours if you give me feedback on mine when I upload the new version tho.

• This sounds pretty gnarly to me.

303 is the classic acid house bass, right? This does sound a lot like it.

Are those vocals from a speak 'n spell?

Also I liked the drum windup about a minute in.

• boom

also changed the title to something cooler and less derp

soundcloud might've wrecked the "oomph" the drums had. So I apologize if that's the case. I might try making a Limelinx account or something and uploading it there.

• the drums are great, and i like the lead, but the bass is kinda ugly sounding and it gets kinda muddy.
  • the bass drum you mean?

how'd you advise I fix it?

• no that bass sound

at least it seemed to be in the bass register? the whumphy FM-kinda metal sound, it's taking up too much of the mix, EQ it some
  • oh

that's the "Choppers on Deck" sample. At least I think that's what you're referring to. Does it sound like a dog barking in places?

I have it running through a delay filter. Maybe I should fiddle with the settings on that.

EQing (and mixing in general) is unfortunately a bit beyond me.

I should really consult those tutorials I have bookmarked sometime.

also it's weird that it's so prominent in the soundcloud embed. The lead and drums absolutely bury it in FL.

• see if this is better

I turned the feedback on the delay plugin down and lowered the sample in the mix.

• it's better, but it still sounds kinds muddy.

also consider allowing it to take kind a a breather, everything all going at once makes it kinda claustrophobic.
  • I suppose

I'll fiddle with it more tomorrow. I'm going to listen to some HudMo now, and then maybe watch some TV.

• @Mojave: The dog barking sounds fine under the rest of the song (in the Lightning Gun version). Still, it sounds terrible when it's just the barking and the drums, like at the beginning. Also, I liked how you handled the ending.

@Naney: Finding those Speak'n'Spell samples were well worth it.
  • whoop.

also the tape Lightning Gun will be on is going to be called Mixtape Riot of '94. Anecdotally.

also I have a thread on OddFutureTalk and it's currently updated with pretty much all pertinent information and also linkies.

• tracklist

1. Drive / Night Drive
    2. Lightning Gun
    3. Yeah? Yeah.
    4. Toy Robot / Dies in Texas
    5. Big Dragon Loop (Don't Fuck With Hong)
  • Naney said:

https://soundcloud.com/apoplectic/alkaline-blurr-working-title

a few ideas, not really put together effectively yet

i'm proud of the bassline though, and finding those Speak & Spell samples was haaaarrrrddddd ;_;
    yeah i can tell its a bunch of ideas youve whacked together. needs structure but you know that. the beat in the first part, it needs to be like halftime what it is i think. or at least that would be what i want. then expand on it, tidy up the buildup and let it go into that last bit which is really really really really really fucking good like i actually love it, please make this into an actual song so i can listen to it properly kthx

• aaaaaaaaaaah i dont like that giant loud fuckin cheesy sounding lead which keeps coming in and barging everything else out of the way. sorry but its not a thing i like :( however i do like the drums a lot

also i think youve done a cool thing with the flute sample from lady of the dancing water and its a shame that it is only there for a few moments, so expand that i guess???

• sunn wolf said:

aaaaaaaaaaah i dont like that giant loud fuckin cheesy sounding lead which keeps coming in and barging everything else out of the way. sorry but its not a thing i like :( however i do like the drums a lot

also i think youve done a cool thing with the flute sample from lady of the dancing water and its a shame that it is only there for a few moments, so expand that i guess???

I'm gonna have to disagree here just because the lead is like a third the point of the track (the drums are the other two thirds). The flute sample is more a breather than anything, to be honest. It's supposed to be the sort of electronic-influenced hip-hop TNGHT etc. like to do. Hence front-and-center lead and trillitary beats. The rest of the EP isn't really like that as far as synths go so hopefully you'll enjoy the rest.

I am going to remix it at some point in a more southern fashion so you might like the remix since it'll use a different synth (probably something that sticks closer to the drums too). I'm probably going to tack said remix onto the EP as a bonus track.

Also how is the track we're doing together coming along? Also do you have any particular ideas what to call ourselves as a group when we get around to that beach music album.

• Mojave and the SunnWavves!

Except with just one V because Wavves is trademarked.
  • yeah i said... its just not a thing i like. it just sounds like cheese to me. maybe its the particular lead sound with those notes or maybe its that im rarely fond of big front and centre synth lines like that in general

Also how is the track we're doing together coming along? Also do you have any particular ideas what to call ourselves as a group when we get around to that beach music album.

my throat has been messed up for the past week, no chance of me doing any decent sounding singing at the moment... if im better by the middle of this week ive got some things i think i can try over it but its dependent on my throat. if all goes well i could have something for you by wednesday evening??

and beachy..... i wrote a couple of poem lines the other day that had the phrase 'dead shoals' in it which im kinda attached to. maybe thats too downbeat for you idk but its to do with the sea

• Tre said:

Mojave and the SunnWavves!

if we are going that direction then i wanna be called Shite Coast.
  • theres a place near me called Half Moon Bay which sounds cool. double bonus is that it is also a place in california, so, beachy. since the Half Moon Bay near me is fuckin muddy and has a giant nuclear power station in it :>
  • sunn wolf said:

yeah i said... its just not a thing i like. it just sounds like cheese to me. maybe its the particular lead sound with those notes or maybe its that im rarely fond of big front and centre synth lines like that in general

Understandable. The synths on the rest of the EP are a bit more reigned-in. "Lightning Gun" is sort of the "punch you in the face with bricks" of the group.

sunn wolf said:

my throat has been messed up for the past week, no chance of me doing any decent sounding singing at the moment... if im better by the middle of this week ive got some things i think i can try over it but its dependent on my throat. if all goes well i could have something for you by wednesday evening??

and beachy..... i wrote a couple of poem lines the other day that had the phrase 'dead shoals' in it which im kinda attached to. maybe thats too downbeat for you idk but its to do with the sea

You can use whatever you like for the lyrics. I actually have an instrumental I'm going to tweak and re-purpose as a sort of melancholy piece of beach music. So that might go well with that. I sort of have a very vague concept of "different moods and experiences by the beach" so a sad walk along a dying seashore would be covered by that too.
    Tre said:

Mojave and the SunnWavves!

I actually had the idea to call us A Solar Fenrir because fun play on "Sunn Wolf" but idk.
    sunn wolf said:

theres a place near me called Half Moon Bay which sounds cool. double bonus is that it is also a place in california, so, beachy. since the Half Moon Bay near me is fuckin muddy and has a giant nuclear power station in it :>

Life in Half Moon Bay would make a decent album title.
  • Possible, tenative tracklist for Mixtape Riot '94.

These are all done with a few exceptions, I just don't know what I'm putting in and what I'm not.

First, definitely in:

• Drive / Night Drive 
    • Lightning Gun
    • Yeah? Yeah.
    • Big Dragon Loop (Don't Fuck With Hong)
    • Dissolving The Dragon

and then, not so much:

• A Toy Robot Winds Down in Texas
    • Photonegative of a Lightning Gun
    • San-Fran (Minimalist Rework)
    • Trillitary March (Revised)
    • Gradius Rock 4.0
    • Phosphates (feat. Blackgold)
    • Mojave Music Had Illicit Relations With Hudson Mohawke's "Furnace Loop"
    • Buy U a Drank (Mojave Music Remix) [original by T-Pain featuring Yung Joc]

I'm having trouble with arranging, as you can see. I know I want "Big Dragon Loop" and "Dissolving the Dragon" to be the last two tracks, but that's about all I know for certain in terms of order.

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What's going on with Legends of a Chord Reckoner? I must see my name in neon! My ego demands feeding!

Also, I like "Lightning Gun" a lot. As I have stressed before, the fact that the synth/drum combo and lead melody remind me of Cabaret Voltaire circa 2x45 and Microphonies is not a bad thing... even if you don't hear it yourself. But whatever.

On a semi-related note, I'm sending you over the demos that I used on "The Museum of Imaginary Shapes", plus... you'll see.
  • What's going on with Legends of a Chord Reckoner?

Dead. Posted about it a couple pages back.

The track I did with you is still getting released, just not on that.

Also, I like "Lightning Gun" a lot. As I have stressed before, the fact that the synth/drum combo and lead melody remind me of Cabaret Voltaire circa 2x45 and Microphonies is not a bad thing... even if you don't hear it yourself. But whatever.

On a semi-related note, I'm sending you over the demos that I used on "The Museum of Imaginary Shapes", plus... you'll see.
    I'm not sure I like Lightning Gun too much anymore. It reminds me a lot of HudMo's work with Lunice in TNGHT, and I don't know if I like that or not.
  • edited 2013-02-01 06:14:37
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    OK. I can live with that.

As for "Lightning Gun": If it seems too derivative, tweak it a little and see what new things you can eke out of it.
  • OK. I can live with that.

Yeah. It'll be out on a collaborations EP whenever Sunn Wolf finishes up that track we did together for LoaCR

As for "Lightning Gun": If it seems too derivative, tweak it a little and see what new things you can eke out of it.

I did. That's what "Photonegative of a Lightning Gun" is, but I fear that is too experimental.

idk, I'll upload it to soundcloud so you can tell me what you think.

"Too experimental"? No such thing!

In any case, I would really like to hear that.
  • Not for you, but there are boundaries an aspiring hip-hop musician is expected to work within.

Anyway, I'll put it up.

Also random question, do you by chance own a Mac or Linux-OS'd computer?

• edited 2013-02-01 06:31:14

Not for you, but there are boundaries an aspiring hip-hop musician is expected to work within.

Anyway, I'll put it up.

Also random question, do you by chance own a Mac or Linux-OS'd computer?

Screw boundaries. You're a musician, not a bureaucrat.

Also, Mac.
    The minimalistic, eerie nature of this kind of reminds me of the beats on No Love Deep Web, but much less aggressive. It would be great with some really grimy, Gonjasufi-esque whisper-sung/rapped vocals over it, but alone it feels a bit thin.
  • Also, Mac.

ah.

When sending things to me, please avoid putting colons in folder names. I think it screws with Windows.

Also, I am not attempting to be Hit-Boy, but I am trying to make music people are at least interested enough in to buy, to some extent.

The minimalistic, eerie nature of this kind of reminds me of the beats on No Love Deep Web, but much less aggressive. It would be great with some really grimy, Gonjasufi-esque whisper-sung/rapped vocals over it, but alone it feels a bit thin.

Unfortunately, I do not know Gonjasufi.

• edited 2013-02-01 06:44:02
    He has this strange way of speak-singing that's not really rapping but not quite singing, very laid-back but a little cracked too. He also has very strange mic etiquette that makes his vocals distort even when they're relatively quiet. His beats are pretty interesting, too, from a production perspective.

This is a pretty decent example.
  • He has this strange way of speak-singing that's not really rapping but not quite singing, very laid-back but a little cracked too. He also has very strange mic etiquette that makes his vocals distort even when they're relatively quiet. His beats are pretty interesting, too, from a production perspective.

I meant I don't know him personally.

I have A Sufi & A Killer on my other laptop.

Oh.

Your jokes are too subtle for me.
  • edited 2013-02-01 07:03:36
    Actually, I'd offer to provide a take myself, but I have no idea what I would do lyrically speaking, and my voice/demeanour really isn't... subtle enough to pull that kind of track off well.
    True. I'll think about it.

Alternately, that track could work with some serious fire-spitting, rhyme-a-second kind of rapping, albeit with the same approach to recording and producing the vocals (close mic, dry distortion plus subtle reverb), but I don't know anyone that can do that.
  • Neither do I.

Except for Cel-Man Iller on a good day, but he's....rather unreliable unfortunately? I really like the guy and his music but he disappears for long periods of time.

• edited 2013-02-01 07:05:45
    Wait, no: Both.

That would be epic.

^ Eh. Understandable.
  • edited 2013-02-01 07:24:10
    I think that there needs to be more variation, for one thing. I also found the kick drum tone a bit blah and that part overall too upfront in the mix. A subtler beat there, something quiet yet persistent—maybe a short, blunt loop wedded to a very low-key kick?—would be very nice.

However...

What you've done with the tracks themselves is really very, very cool. Especially the dulcimer part and the vocal fragments. The quiet distortion bursts at the end were a nice touch, too.
  • I will agree with those points with the stipulation that I spent about five minutes on that.

I need to find some breakbeats. Good ones, if you have any suggestions PM me them, plox.

Five minutes? You work fast. Let that stuff brew a little and it'll be perfect.