Have you had grits?

As someone whose dad is from Texas, I am at times reminded that grits are a foreign concept to many

So "yes"
Tagged:

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Nope!
  • I only sorta know what it even is.
  • kill living beings
    I am given to understand that it is edible
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I think at some point
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    yeah I've had grits a couple of times.  more times at UNC dining halls than with my family, though, because my parents aren't fans.
  • edited 2017-11-05 18:49:20
    I think I've had them a few times but I don't remember how they taste.

My breakfast staple grain is usually oatmeal.  Rice porridge if it's a brunch.

My understanding is that grits are basically the rough equivalent, but made from corn.  And perhaps more similarly to rice porridge, it's more likely to be flavored salty/savory than flavored sweet like oatmeal is.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    I've never had grits (and I seem to remember thinking canned hominy was nasty when I was a kid), but I remember eating instant Cream of Wheat out of the packets when I was younger (especially if it was apple cinnamon).
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I have not

I'm not sure how they are consumed
  • edited 2017-11-05 23:45:06
    by gritty people, with true grit
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    Yes.  They were absolutely delicious, but unlike anything I had ever tasted before or since.  Highly recommended.
  • edited 2017-11-06 01:19:08
    Aliroz said:

Yes.  They were absolutely delicious, but unlike anything I had ever tasted before or since.  Highly recommended.

How was it flavored?  Like, what other ingredients was it cooked with?
  • I like grits, but I usually eat them with honey or sugar.

This is apparently considered unusual, though in my defense, it is something that came about because my mother did it as a way of getting my older sister and I to eat them at all when we were kids.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    That shit sounds delightful tbh