Photos of a dead shopping mall (2009)

Columbus City Center was a huge three-story shopping mall in downtown Columbus, Ohio. It opened in 1989, and was shut down a mere 20 years later, closing to the public on March 5, 2009.

My family and I visited City Center on February 7, 2009. By that point there were almost no businesses left in operation, and the place was nearly deserted. I brought my trusty Nikon along with me. Here's what I shot:

Autofocus isn't always very reliable, but isn't it funny how an abandoned Sbarro is still obviously a Sbarro?

I should clarify that if you see any people in these shots, they're my family members. The four of us didn't encounter anyone else the entire time we were walking about the mall.

I think this one is my favorite from this set of photos. It just looks so...wrong seeing such an elaborate shopping mall so deserted.

You can almost picture people lined up to sit in Santa's lap here 20 years ago.

The escalators were running, even though nobody was around to use them. It's kind of a wonder this place stayed open as long as did, wasting electricity like that.

Next are some photos from February 14, 2009, exactly one week later. By that time news of the mall's impending closure had spread, and the city—who, by this point, owned the property outright—had begun selling off anything and everything left in the place. So these next few photos show some of the last "shoppers" City Center ever had, albeit a very different kind of shopping than was intended back in 1989.

This last photo is from the bridge between the mall (right) and the parking garage (left). To date, this exact photo is the only time I've ever been told off by security guard for taking photos on private property...and even then, he didn't really care, seeing as how he waited until I was leaving to say anything.

The mall itself was demolished between October 2009 and March 2010. The parking garage was left standing, because...honestly, it's a pretty decent place to park in this corner of Downtown Columbus.

Comments