Movies thread

edited 2012-08-06 22:55:57 in General Media
I feel like watching A Serbian Film again even though it's fucked up.
Tagged:

Comments

• READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis
    Friday and I want to watch "Girl with the Dragon tattoo", both versions.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1386703/

Huh.

Didn't know "Total Recall" was a film we needed to...recall.

One must wonder if a girl with three boobs was DEMANDED by one of the people working on the movie.
  • Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    Btw,

District 9 is going to get a sequel probably in 2015 which is good because the story atm has no resolution.
  • Is it going to be called District 10

It resolved Wikus' character arc, it didn't really need to do anything more than that IMO.

Huh...I wasn't aware it needed one... I thought it's main intention was to show that "The Apartheid was BAD!" Which it did...

Though, I could never believe some aspects of the movie, like the international community as a whole not taking better care of the aliens simply because they're aliens or the international community just leaving a goram spaceship COMPLETELY devoid of anyone whatsoever to study it or guard it.

Basically, I thought it was a valiant effort to get the message across and had some great action scenes, but the premise was a tad flawed even with the attempted hand-waving.  
    It resolved Wikus' character arc, it didn't really need to do anything more than that IMO.
    I'll disagree, I think that Wikus' character arc is only half done because he transformed into a prawn and his mate went off to the prawn's home world.
  • edited 2012-06-03 18:12:13
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Yeah, I think they could resolve that. Though, at that point, the movie becomes more of an attempt to appease the fans than make any political statements.

That's not BAD, per se, just a little less ambitious. 

It actually could be more enjoyable if it was just a rad sci-fi.
    I guess it would lose its message though :(
  • edited 2012-06-03 18:17:31

Eh, like I said. I think the first movie got the point across. It's probably better if a sequel doesn't focus TOO much on that, otherwise it'll get kinda irritating. 

We do need Wikus back in human form if only because we get to hear "Fookin' PRAWNS!" again. :P
    Not just that but the prawns are going to be pissed to find that MNU has been experimenting on members of their species.
  • I'll disagree, I think that Wikus' character arc is only half done because he transformed into a prawn and his mate went off to the prawn's home world.
    No, that represents a whole arc. In fact, transforming like that is probably the most literal way I can imagine to pull off the "guys starts off as a jerk who's part of the system but comes to sympathize with those he oppressed" character arc.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    ^ Agreed.

I'm not particularly wild about the idea of a sequel, honestly.  I enjoyed the movie a great deal, and to me it was something fairly special.  I was happy with the fairly open-ended conclusion, and I'm not sure I want to be told what happens next.  (I find it difficult to ignore canonical information, stupid though that is.)
  • Well, if the same writers and directors are involved I can have some faith that they'll think of an interesting direction to take it in. I do think Wikus' story is done, although it might be interesting for him to be to someone else what Christopher Johnson was for him.
  • edited 2012-06-23 04:12:24

Friday and I watched Seventh Seal...well, the first half...also technically this is a re-watch for me.

Anyone who hasn't seen this film needs to get on that, it's very possibly one of the best films of all time. We'll finish up when Friday isn't dead tired from baby watching.

We also watched the first movie in which Christopher Lee played Dracula; anyone who hasn't seen this film should probably keep in mind that Christopher Lee got his movie start playing Dracula...and that's really all there is to say on the matter. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.

Finished The Seventh Seal:

Now Friday and I get to debate over why certain people died at the end.
  • edited 2012-06-30 16:47:02

Rewatching the Stargate movie.

A bit slow at first, but it picks up nicely, quickly enough. 
    Justice42 said:

Rewatching the Stargate movie.

A bit slow at first, but it picks up nicely, quickly enough. 
    Tbh, I think the TV show is better than the film

We're watching that, too.

Great story, great character, great dialogue. 

I'm waiting for the production values to get better (I know they will, I've seen the episodes here and there), right now, it looks like I'm watching a play someone decided to record. 
    I'm waiting for the production values to get better (I know they will,
    I've seen the episodes here and there), right now, it looks like I'm
    watching a play someone decided to record.
    The production values of the tv show?

Hmm, probably about series 5 or series 6.

But you can't watch Stargate Atlantis until you've seen at least series 7 of SG1.

We just watched the pilot. I'd imagine we'll see some improvements as early as the next episode. 
    We just watched the pilot. I'd imagine we'll see some improvements as early as the next episode.
    Not really, the second ever episode IIRC was shite, in fact most of series 1 was shite. SG1 only really got watchable imo after "There but for the grace of God".

Also, I'm watching Forrest Gump and apparently what Forrest says when he talking in D.C about Vietnam is that: "Sometimes when people go to Vietnam, they go home to their mommas
    without any legs. Sometimes they don't go home at all. That's a bad
    thing. That's all I have to say about that."

Heh, I had no idea, but wondered about that for quite some time.

Not exactly a beautiful soliloquy there.
  • Finally got around to watching 13 Assassins. It wasn't a bad movie at all. Still, the characters seemed a bit underdeveloped. But it was fun for what it was. Plus, the last 35 minutes of the movie were ridiculously intense. An hour and a half of set up for 35 minutes of straight violence. That might be the longest continuous action sequence I've seen.

Stargate is actually pretty slow. Not saying it isn't entertaining, but the pacing isn't quite as good as it could be.

I'm wondering if a great deal of it's entertainment value was the special effects. 

Finally got around to watching 13 Assassins. It wasn't a bad movie at all. Still, the characters seemed a bit underdeveloped. But it was fun for what it was. Plus, the last 35 minutes of the movie were ridiculously intense. An hour and a half of set up for 35 minutes of straight violence. That might be the longest continuous action sequence I've seen.

I think this is definitely the best aspect of the movie. It's kinda long, and all feudal Japanese politics mixed in with how screwy the antagonist is, but the last bit more than makes up for it. I do understand why the director went that route.    
    Justice42 said:

Stargate is actually pretty slow. Not saying it isn't entertaining, but the pacing isn't quite as good as it could be.

I'm wondering if a great deal of it's entertainment value was the special effects. 
    Not really, believe it or not but I liked Stargate because of its writing. Yes the pacing is off and the SFX at the time were okay but it was because the continuity was good.

The movie certainly created a very good story to build a series upon, regardless of it's flaws. 
    The movie certainly created a very good story to build a series upon, regardless of it's flaws
    Yup

The Goa'uld are the first and last enemy that Stargate SG1 faces
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    So I saw James Gunn's 'Super'. It was...a really entertaining, disgusting, fascinating movie that I really liked.

While it does share many traits with 'Kick-Ass' (loser hero, no powers, loads of blood and gore, the climax hinging on a great rampage of over-the-top drama, blood, and violence), what made 'Super' unique and not just exploitative no-consequences entertainment was that ultimately it was about break-ups, madness, absolutism, and how we as people use morals and codes and beliefs to hide what's truly bothering us. 
  • edited 2012-07-03 02:12:57

Justice42 said:

Finally got around to watching 13 Assassins. It wasn't a bad movie at all. Still, the characters seemed a bit underdeveloped. But it was fun for what it was. Plus, the last 35 minutes of the movie were ridiculously intense. An hour and a half of set up for 35 minutes of straight violence. That might be the longest continuous action sequence I've seen.

I think this is definitely the best aspect of the movie. It's kinda long, and all feudal Japanese politics mixed in with how screwy the antagonist is, but the last bit more than makes up for it. I do understand why the director went that route.    

I didn't feel like it was that long actually. Maybe a little bit slow at some points, but not overly long. At least, its not "The Last Emperor" long. My biggest problem was that everything other than the fight seemed  underdeveloped, which I agree was easily the best part of the film. The field of blades scene was the best part of that sequence. I knew exactly what was going to happen the second I saw that and it was fully satisfying. It kind of reminds me of Soul Eater actually, specifically Mifune's Infinite One-Sword Style. But anyway, if they had either cut down on the number of the main cast to give more screen time for the individual members or added more time for the characters to develop, it would have been better. Or not make such a bland, so obviously evil villain.

Also, I watched "A Fistful of Dollars" today. Good movie. The biggest thing I noticed was that they cut out some of the humor from "Yojimbo". Which I thought was a good thing, since I don't think Kurosawa's style of mildly dark humor would work with the tone they were going for. Also, we seem to get into the head of "the man with no name" a little more than we do Kuwabatake Sanjuro. I mean, It's been awhile since I saw Yojimbo, but I don't remember Kuwabatake Sanjuro having any lines similar to "Why? Because I knew someone like you once. There was no one there to help." during the scene where he rescued the family. Then again, they kind of downplayed the motivation of "The man with no name" to get the the gangs to destroy each other. It's still there, but it didn't seem as explicitly referenced.
  • edited 2012-07-03 13:30:25

"Then again, they kind of downplayed the motivation of "The man with no name" to get the the gangs to destroy each other. It's still there, but it didn't seem as explicitly referenced. "

It's pretty subtle, it often times seems like our man with no name simply figured out how to make money off both groups and is indifferent to the death caused on both sides.
    I dont think they should make the 3rd Ghostbusters film because the other two are definitely films of their time.
  • edited 2012-07-09 13:49:45

I'm not sure what it is with Hollywood thinking EVERYTHING needs to be a trilogy.

Apparently, There's going to be an "I am Legend 2" and "Karate Kid II" (the new one, of course). 

I'm starting to be off the opinion someone just needs to drop of like a metric ton of weed at Will Smith's house, and he's not allowed to do anything until is smoked enough to chill the fuck out.
    How can there be a second I am Legend film when Will Smith blew himself up

I have no fucking clue, but they want him to reprise his role (presumably as something besides an exploded corpse) and are saying that this will be a sequel and not a prequel. 
    The only way for Smith to be in the film is if they used the original ending in which Smith gives the girl to the Zombie Leader.
  • edited 2012-07-09 15:57:13

That would be utterly fascinating if they retconed the whole thing so Smith didn't blow himself up.

In related news, I, Robot 2 is also something that might begin shooting soon or next year.

Though, this is less troublesome than an I Am Legend sequel, this still raises the question of who the hell thinks every movie Will Smith has done warrants a sequel?!

Hell, let's just make a Wild, Wild West sequel and close the curtain on any sort of sensibility we thought we had as a society. 
    Bitches love Smith.

Just watched the new Spider-Man movie. Some aspects where pretty good.

I DO feel the need to vent about this:

Do they ALWAYS need to kill Uncle Ben?! Just once, can't he just end up in the hospital after a NEAR fatal gunshot?! Is it impossible for Peter to "do the right thing" while Ben is still alive?!

And that was THE worst death of Uncle Ben to date. At least last time he was "doing the right thing!" 

Let me set the scene for you, Peter just got done with some "Shut up, Daduncle! You're not my REAL dad!" stuff and was feeling kinda raw, so he ran to a convenient store in a cruddy neighborhood to get some milk. He is two cents short of his milk, so he tries to grab two pennies from the "Take-a-Penny, Leave-a-Penny". The man at the counter stops him saying that it's not his policy to let people take pennies and it's just "leave-a-penny".

WHAT.

THE.

FUCK?!

No. Just NO. No one on this planet would do that. What the fuck is this guy doing?! Collecting pennies and touching himself at night while he holds the pennies in the other hand?!

If so, why does he leave them out?!

Anyhow, Peter attempts to leave without the milk. The guy behind him knocks a display over, as the bitchiest store runner ever bitches about cleaning it up, this guy nabs what must be $120 dollars ABSOLUTE MAX of convenient store cash and books it with his six pack. This is AFTER he tossed Peter the milk, because seriously, fuck that guy.

Peter walks off not giving a fuck, and king bitch convenient store owner is like "Why didn't you stop him?!" to which Peter replied "Not my policy".

Meanwhile, the guy booking it with his "heist" and beer almost runs into Ben. When he stops to not crash into him, he drops his gun.

Ben, for whatever reason, decided he needs to DIVE on it for some reason. Granted, this guy probably looks shady, but he's not trying to mug Ben, he's not car-jacking him, he's not holding anyone hostage. He has maybe, MAYBE over a hundred stolen bucks that I don't think Ben even knows about. 

Anyhow, the guys also goes for his own gun and accidentally shoots Ben. Ben died because, apparently, it's his policy to fight thugs for their gun because...well, no because, that's his entire policy. Peter didn't stop the guy because his crime was petty theft, and it's not like anyone knows he has killer reflexes or anything he hasn't even humored the idea of using his powers to fight crime, let alone something nefarious like win money.

Congratulations new movie Uncle Ben! You win the most pointless Uncle Ben death award!

*sigh* Anyhow, saw the new Total Recall trailer, it sort of looks like if someone did a visual touch up of Blade Runner and used the basic plot from Total Recall to tell a story. Also, they made sure to show the chick with three boobs (but didn't show her boobies in the trailer).

Looks pretty good, actually. 

More on Spiderman. 

High school parts where kinda painful. It's like...people in Hollywood somehow only know of High-school from vague description. Also, everyone looks a bit too old to be in high-school. 

I like Gwen more than I like Mary Jane, though, a refusal to break from the standard Spiderman formula has me worried for her safety.

Actions scenes where cool enough, it was fun to watch those parts. 

I'm not sure who decided every Spiderman movie should operate on EMOTION! And i'm getting a tad sick of it.

Parts of the movie operated on ye' ol' comic and cinema cliches. 

...And that's about it.

Do
    they ALWAYS need to kill Uncle Ben?! Just once, can't he just end up in
    the hospital after a NEAR fatal gunshot?! Is it impossible for Peter to
    "do the right thing" while Ben is still alive?!

Yes they do because that happens in the comics dammit!

*sigh* Anyhow, saw the new Total Recall trailer, it sort of looks like if someone did a visual touch up of Blade Runner and used the basic plot from Total Recall to tell a story. Also, they made sure to show the chick with three boobs (but didn't show her boobies in the trailer).
    It wont have the ambiguous ending of the Ahnold film

"Yes they do because that happens in the comics dammit!"

But this is getting kinda old. I don't expect them to completely rewrite it, but honestly, why devote that much of the film to Spider-man's origins if you're not going to bother to deviate from it at all.

Between the last series, the cartoons, and comics, everyone, including the general movie going public, knows the whole shtick with the spider bites and the tragic consequences of not using your brand new super-powers responsible.

Can't we see something different, touch on it in brief flash-backs, or pull an "Incredible Hulk" and they condenses this stuff into a few minutes so we can get on with anything knew they have to offer?

I guess it doesn't help that I've never been a huge Spider-man fan. At the same time, the last series still seems a bit fresh. I don't know how impressive it's really going to be if they just rehash a bunch of stuff that was done 10 years ago.

Not to mention, the movie basically kills off the two best actors it had. Unless they inject this series with some better talent, the inevitable sequel is going to be rather bland.
  • edited 2012-07-14 07:34:11
    Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Yes, Uncle Ben needs to die. Krypton needs to explode, the Waynes need to get shot behind the Monarch theater, and Matt Murdock needs to go blind. That is the impetus, the moment that defines them for what they are. Spider-Man needs to help people to make up for the fact that he acted selfishly once and it cost him something dear, Superman needs to save lives so he can better fit into and protect his new home, Batman needs to dress up as a bat and punch criminals in the hopes he punches the right one, and Daredevil needs to learn to interact with the world without eyes and see what most ignore.

Personally I agree that we don't really need another superhero origin movie if it's an icon we already know of. Few people know of Thor or Ant-Man, but everything else out right now can be condensed into five minutes. 

Which is another reason why the Spectacular Spider-Man TV show was so great: they knew that we know the story, and just started with Pete web-swinging and quipping and trying to make ends meet, only visiting the origin story in flashback (also Batman: The Brave And The Bold did that too).
  • It's
    pretty subtle, it often times seems like our man with no name simply
    figured out how to make money off both groups and is indifferent to the
    death caused on both sides.

Exactly.

Last night was Alcohol and a move night and since we were feeling alliterative, it was Sangria and Sanjuro night. All in all, Sanjuro wasn't a bad movie, but it wasn't an exceptional movie either. All of the elements that Kurosawa typically uses in his movie were there and some of them were done very well, but it seemed a bit lacking.

"the Waynes need to get shot behind the Monarch"

But, apparently, they don't have to be showing Zorro for it to work.

Honestly, I think part of the problem was that they didn't do that aspect of Spider-Man very well. Especially considering it seems like Uncle Ben mostly died from being foolhardy. I mean, given the situation, a judge might classify what the killer did as man-slaughter, or even self-defense. Ben is just some guy who is trying to pick up this other guy's gun. This guy just wants his gun back, as far as we know. 

Likewise, Peter doesn't think "I should FIGHT CRIME!" from this event, he thinks "I should AVENGE Uncle Ben!" and goes around trying to find people who match the description of the guy who shoot him. It isn't until he actually saves a child and returns them to the hands of their father does he actually start to feel a responsibility to do something good. Uncle Ben's death made him a bit more pro-active, but it didn't really turn him into a good guy.

On further reflection, one aspect that didn't bug me so much is how Peter reacted. 

He reacted broken up, but he didn't seem to blame himself for what had happened. 
  • Man is a most complex simple creature: see what he weaves, and how base his reasons for doing so.
    Well no, it doesn't have to be Zorro. It just needs to be something stupid he does as a kid so he can blame himself. 

There was this one time in JLA where Bruce sees The Lone Ranger because Zorro was sold out, killed Chill with his own gun after Chill committed the crime, and became a masked gunslinger.

Heh, Imagine if they used that logic in the movie.

Batman runs around trying to find a devil to solve his problems.

WHILE we are on the topic of Batman, I saw the movie.

It was most good, there's little doubt in my mind that #2 and perhaps even #1 where better movies on most counts and better executed. I'll give it to them that the certainly upped the ante with #3 and there where a few very welcomed surprises.

I think the whole franchise should be commended on staying true to the source material while simultaneously changing a few things here and there to make it more interesting and keep the audience guessing. 

I think the old (WAY BACK IN 2002) Spider-Man would often stand on ceremony a bit too much, and, when it DID deviate, it never was pulled off quite right and was a bit jarring. The new one, is also standing on ceremony a bit too much. Where's all the Batman movies (in this trilogy) hit the all the right marks as far as the Batman Mythos was concerned, but deviations from the comics helped the movie setting rather than hindered it.