I want to learn to play the keyboard, but...

...I have a legitimately hard time getting my left hand and right hand to do different things at the same time.

I feel like a freakin' idiot. I can't be the only one with this problem, can I? How do I work past this??

Comments

• imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    practice
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    which is to say, i'm pretty sure everyone has this problem initially when playing the keyboard
  • I certainly did, but I also only learned keyboard in fifth and sixth grade. A shame, too. I really wanted to continue with it. Music is one of many things I'd like to be competent at.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    More practice it is! ^_^

In any event, here's a high-resolution photograph of my keyboard, since I know you nerds are curious.

• Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Practice, yeah.

I had to learn this for guitar, which involved lots of, y'know, practice.

Practice.
  • I have the same problem as well, it's all right

practising helps, just need to be insistent about it
  • Why does the photo look slightly fisheye?

And yeah, practice is basically the way to solve the problem.  Specifically, persistent, long-term practice.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I've played keyboards for a band and I still legitimately suck at this, partly because I... don't practice much at all. ^~^;
  • Yeah, practice is how you work on it. It gets easiER, still not easy for me.
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Precision before speed. Get a metronome. Set it to 60 bps. If you fuck up, start from the beginning and consider taking it even more slowly.

After you have done 3 run throughs perfectly at 60bps, notch it up to 65. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It may feel tedious, but it will allow you to progress more quickly overall.

Consider purchasing a book of Hanon's dexterity exercises. They're worth it.

Do scales (make sure you're doing proper fingerings!!!!) until you want to shoot yourself.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Thanks for the advice ^_^
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    It's all stuff I've learned the hard way across four different instruments, so I assure you it's a solid method! Even if it feels slow and frustrating. Very much "slow and steady wins the race" when it comes to music, unless you're some ridiculous prodigy, at which point you are a cheater pants.
  • "Ridiculous prodigy" basically just means you can't stop thinking about it and you keep thinking about it and in effect you're practicing it in your head without intentional contact with it.

And even then, you need to first build the motor skills for playing the instrument -- you can't really build new technique this way, just use existing techniques to learn a new piece.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    glenn is a cheater pants