Anime

Comments

• Disappointing things about Sword Art Online (incomplete):

* general lack of sword arts
    this post is win
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I was thinking about how I called Boku no Hero Academia simplistic, and I don't think I got across the nuance I wanted. I actually think it's a rather neat, albeit direct, blending of various ideals and thematic imagery; but is nonetheless made rather accessible. I'm tired, and am honestly sometimes just kind of bad at going into detail about stuff I really like, heh.

I'll find the words eventually.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Alert to TNS: The director-cum-showrunner for House of Five Leaves is also directing and running series comp on Battery, a new anime about, uhhh, baseball, apparently. Seems weirdly up your alley. (Mochizuki also directed Ocean Waves for Studio Ghibli, which is maybe the one feature-length Ghibli that nobody has seen.)
    It's a real crime that Tomomi Mochizuki is the only part of that show that looks interesting to me.
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    In further SAO observations, i do like how Dark Repulser is, literally, a legendary piece of shit.
    Crystal said:

It's a real crime that Tomomi Mochizuki is the only part of that show that looks interesting to me.

To be fair, it also shares an animation director (Hideoki Kusama) with one of the most psychedelic sequences in Mononoke and two episodes of Kuuchuu Buranko, so I'm at least interested to see what it will *look* like.
  • edited 2016-06-28 19:18:51
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I mostly wanted to make a bad joke. Guess I didn't really knock that one out of the park.

It looks interesting, and like something I'll be interested in seeing in motion, just outside of my interests.
    ...I get it now.

God, Crystal.
    ^_~
    Not asleep yet, mostly chilling out, but I wanted to chime in with a random discovery.

Kazuhide Tomonaga has been a key animator on basically every Ghibli film, and served as animation director on the Japanese teams for a bunch of American shows during the '90s. In 2012, he made a short film for Anime Mirai entitled BUTA.

It looks adorable.

And appealing to my sensibilities, because I am rank furry trash and it is about a pig samurai who rescues a wee fox lad from pirates. But oh god it's *so cute,* and the animation is gorgeous, because what else would you expect from an animator who's been working with Miyazaki since Sherlock Hound?
    Oh I've heard of that. The art looked interesting and pleasant, though I never looked beyond that.

Meanwhile, I've finished Flying Witch. Kind of going to miss having another episode to look forward to. Like, talk about a pleasant, comfy, fun ride.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Apparently CR aired all the episodes of ReLIFE at once and now I am confused.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Calica said:
    Hype.

Also, as concerns my catching up on MSG IBO RIP Biscuit, rest in peace.
    monosodium glutamate
    Ugh, need to marathon Luluco when I get the chance because we plebs can finally see the whole thing, I think.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    The first episode of the Berserk Anime was half a good intro to Berserk from a different point than all the other adaptations, and half a really mediocre PS2 era cutscene
  • Ugh, need to marathon Luluco when I get the chance because we plebs can finally see the whole thing, I think.

Luluco is terrific and you should do that as soon as you are able.
    The entirety of Luluco is like... 90 minutes long. Less if you cut out the OP/ED.
  • yeah it's like an evening of watching at most
  • kill living beings
    I can't believe Luluco destroyed the universe
  • The first half of the first ep of The Asterisk War annoyed me and got me to drop it, only to have it come back up in my mind and convince me to watch the second half, which got serious and thus was better.

Still have a least favorite character already (student council prez or somecrap person). Incidentally I noticed that female lead (the princess) grated on me as a strange combination of character traits, until she actually got a backstory and I guess it made more sense how she acted.

The entirety of Luluco is like... 90 minutes long. Less if you cut out the OP/ED.

I know that. T-T
  • edited 2016-07-03 18:16:17
    kill living beings
    Subaru Natsuki, denser than a neutron star.
    Rem, deader than a white dwarf.
  • kill living beings
    Wow that's lovely.
  • Alert to TNS: The director-cum-showrunner for House of Five Leaves is also directing and running series comp on Battery, a new anime about, uhhh, baseball, apparently. Seems weirdly up your alley. (Mochizuki also directed Ocean Waves for Studio Ghibli, which is maybe the one feature-length Ghibli that nobody has seen.)

I appreciate the heads up. I'm certainly willing to give it a fair shake.
    That is very cool and Bill Frisell did the guitar work, so that's freaking awesome.
    Azusa Murasaka's the orange-haired girl.
  • Also, Blue Jacket Lupin is getting a dub and Tony Oliver and Richard Epcar are coming back as Lupin and Jigen respectively.

*excited squeeing heard for miles emanating from my house* 
    Jane said:

who is she
    Orange hair is Azusa Murasaka, black hair is Takako Chino, both characters from Orange, which started airing yesterday.

Jane said:

who is she
    Orange hair is Azusa Murasaka, black hair is Takako Chino, both characters from Orange, which started airing yesterday.
    Not crazy about the art but Hiroshi Hamasaki, oh my god. He's working on good material again, maybe. It's like a gift from Anime God.

Jane said:

who is she
    Not crazy about the art but Hiroshi Hamasaki, oh my god. He's working on good material again, maybe. It's like a gift from Anime God.
    Hey, he worked on Steins;Gate!

...Wait, that was 5 years ago.
    Not that I've read what it's based off of, but I feel Orange looks better and more fitting in motion. I went from being on the fence to enjoying it, though I don't know if you mean preference-wise or what.
    imageimageimage
    I guess I'll be following this one too.

Jane said:

who is she
    Hey, he worked on Steins;Gate!

...Wait, that was 5 years ago.
    I was counting that. When he has good material, he's untouchable, but come on, Blade and Soul, really?
    Crystal said:

Not that I've read what it's based off of, but I feel Orange looks better and more fitting in motion. I went from being on the fence to enjoying it, though I don't know if you mean preference-wise or what.

I mean the designs in still form aren't my cup of tea. But I have no doubt that they look better in motion. I know I'm putting a lot of emphasis on the director here, but Hamasaki's work, aside from doing a lot of weird stuff with colour, is very much about motion and expression. The guy has a thing for wild faces and striking shot movements.

I mean the designs in still form aren't my cup of tea.

That was actually my first response to them as screenshots.

oh god how is this show so cute i'm going to die and all that's left will be a pile of sugar
  • edited 2016-07-05 00:41:12
    Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Kotoura-san is a cute show.
    The Orange designs make me kinda think of Chihayafuru maybe?
    Crystal said:

Kotoura-san is a cute show.

I should get around to it.
    I'd recommend it, at least. Bonus points for how sad the first like 8 minutes are too.
    Though I think my favorite part, maybe, just maybe, is still the OP. At least when taken proportionally.

This isn't a knock on the show, since I am generally not one for back-handed compliments. Three episodes in and it strikes me as lacking, if serviceable and with enough going for it, even more so if it hits the right spots for you (e.g. Kotoura-san herself for me). It's just, surprisingly, so my jam and so outrageously cute, far as the animation and song itself are concerned.