Failure to yield at unmarked crosswalks

I don't have, like, any sort of actual data to back this up, but...in my experience it's a lot harder to get people to stop for me when there aren't stripes painted on the ground than when there are, even if I'm already out in the street.

Why?
Tagged:

Comments

• Because the stripes are more noticeable than a single person.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I mean, that's one possibility, but I'm also talking about like...I'll be standing in the center lane of a 5-lane road and drivers will just fly on past without making any effort to stop for me, despite my being plainly visible.

I suspect a lot of these people don't fully understand that all intersections are crosswalks whether there are stripes painted on the street or not. But...ignorance of a basic rule like that isn't really an excuse.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    they just don't give a fuck about you
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god

I mean, that's one possibility, but I'm also talking about like...I'll be standing in the center lane of a 5-lane road and drivers will just fly on past without making any effort to stop for me, despite my being plainly visible.

I suspect a lot of these people don't fully understand that all intersections are crosswalks whether there are stripes painted on the street or not. But...ignorance of a basic rule like that isn't really an excuse.
    to be honest, you should probably not try to cross a five lane road with an unmarked crosswalk even if it is technically legal. 
  • kill living beings
    Yeah I was going to say where the fuck does that even come up, that sounds horrid
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There's a bus stop on either side of the street, and they have wheelchair ramps, so they obviously intend for people to be able to cross here.

It's...actually not that bad? Traffic from the left usually breaks first so I wait for a gap in traffic from the left, cross to the center turn lane, then wait for a gap in traffic from the right. It's a little frustrating that people don't observe the crosswalks, but at worst it means I have to wait a bit longer for a gap in traffic...
    Ah, that's much more residential-looking than what I was picturing. 

I think it mostly comes down to people not caring much, though, in addition to not knowing about unmarked crosswalks. I've always thought they were a bad an rather unsafe idea - it's better for all pedestrian crossings to be very clearly marked, especially across so many lanes. It's not a huge deal at a rural 4-way-stop where striping isn't worth it, but in a city? That's rather inexcusable. 
  • Looks like it used to be lighted and they cut it for costs.
    I can understand not striping at every single intersection, I guess, but you would think the city would coordinate with the transit authority enough to have marked crosswalks at intersections like that with the bus stops on either side.

Incidentally, can we talk about how cool Google Street View is? Like, I can just pull up some arbitrary place in my city and show you photos without having to go there and snap photos myself.
  • Incidentally, can we talk about how cool fundamentally terrifying but also kinda neat Google Street View is? Like, I can just pull up some arbitrary place in my city and show you photos without having to go there and snap photos myself.

Google Street View is the best thing since tiddys
    I don't find it too terrifying since it's not in real time. Real time would be terrifying. 
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    It is terrifying and I cannot hide
    did I show you all this Wendy's before? this is the Wendy's I grew up with
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-05-31 03:29:01
    Yeah real time would be fucking terrifying.  Street View is just "a special car drove around here every few months at most".  Plus they blur windows and stuff a lot for privacy's sake.

The street views of my hometown barely cover the main streets, and they haven't even been updated since 2012.  Neither have the ones at my old university.