I just want you guys to know

if i were to design an FPS, the character would reload the gun automatically, without the player needing to press a reload button

Comments

• Destiny does this if you empty the magazine and leave your gun readied, though it has a bit of a delay so if the player wants to do it manually (which is slightly faster) they can

It's convenient but I try not to rely on it unless I'm in a situation where I have to cut and run
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    I can't actually think of any FPSes off the top of my head where there isn't automatic reload, outside of like, lightgun games.
  • looks like im on the right track then

im basically a gamedev already

i already have blender on my computer
  • Superhot (super-hot, super-hot) doesn't, but that's mostly because reloading just straight up isn't a thing in that one. You throw all the guns you pick up away after the mag dries up.

Also a few VR games like Out of Ammo, though those are in a way light gun games too, so.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    If playing Superhot VR has taught me anything, it's that you should be using guns to block bullets with anyway.
  • kill living beings

I can't actually think of any FPSes off the top of my head where there isn't automatic reload, outside of like, lightgun games.

...yeah, i don't understand. the reason there's a reload button is because sometimes you want to put in a new mag before you're out, it's not something to automate anyway. when you do empty a mag of course you reload. FPSs from before i was born do that

i guess there's Receiver, but lol reloading in receiver
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    In Doom the original and the 2016 one reloading isn't a thing
  • Not a Hero, the 2d run/shoot game I scored from the Devolver sale, had mandatory manual reloading, with a separate button from the 'shoot things' button. It's a weird bit of game design, because with most of the characters, manual reloading will leave you stuck in the reloading animation for a few seconds, which is more than enough time to get you killed in a firefight. You have to time your reloads, especially in the later levels where most of the enemies are immune to the slide-n-stun tactic that you can use when you're out of ammo.

Mostly unrelated, but I've been thinking about reloading mechanics lately.
  • I can't actually think of any FPSes off the top of my head where there isn't automatic reload, outside of like, lightgun games.

...yeah, i don't understand. the reason there's a reload button is because sometimes you want to put in a new mag before you're out, it's not something to automate anyway. when you do empty a mag of course you reload. FPSs from before i was born do that

i guess there's Receiver, but lol reloading in receiver
    what you don't want to have to use half of your keyboard to insert a bullet into a chamber?
  • kill living beings
    i liked the game enough that i beat it

but

it's still lol
  • All I know:

TF2 - auto-reload when you empty your magazine.  There's a reload button where you can reload before you empty it.  You can also set a setting that makes you reload automatically anytime you're not shooting unless the chamber is full.

Receiver - I think you literally have to manipulate all the different pieces in order to reload, and that that's the whole point of the game I think.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    the real thing that you want to eliminate is shit like cutscenes