My Creed

I hold a number of beliefs, some of which have been repudiated by the liveliest intellects of our time .... but I am nonetheless persuaded otherwise.

I believe that order is better than chaos, creation better than destruction, interdependence more satisfying than independence and that collaboration creates better solutions than competition. I prefer gentleness to violence, forgiveness to vendetta.

I believe that knowledge is preferable to ignorance, and I am sure that human empathy is a better God than ideology. I am persuaded that in spite of the recent triumphs of science, men, as the arbiters of our, and our planets, future, haven't changed much in the last two thousand years; and, in consequence thereof, we must endeavour to learn from history; but be ever mindful of the often beguiling trap that it is often written by the victors.

I believe that we learn far more from those with opposing views than those with whom we are in concert.  The natural human tendency to join like minded groups...de facto subcultures ... provides a sense of belonging and synergistically reinforcing togetherness. It substitutes lazy groupthink for tough minded evidence based thought. It can be the siren call dog whistle mutually justifying ideas, prejudices and beliefs whilst sacrificing enlightenment and truth on the altar of belonging...... thereby fostering a we versus they landscape with overtones of superiority on the one hand, and distrust, disdain and stereotyping on the other.

I believe pride with humility is not an oxymoron. Boasting is the sin.. not justifiable pride. If we don’t believe in ourselves, how can we expect others to ?

I believe that human greatness should be measured not so much by accomplishment than by the beauty of the inner soul. Greatness, as distinct from accomplishment, is not about power, fame or money leading to statues for the dogs to urinate upon; but in the souls of all those lives that we touch; such that warm fuzzies of reminiscences of acceptance, validation and selfless caring is our earned obituary.

I believe that the validity of an assertion is inversely proportional to the decibels accompanying the proclamation thereof.

I believe that the highest calling of the human condition is to evolve into internalizing a highly evolved, radiantly beautiful, authentic soul.  It saddens me that it is so rare.  Achieving that priceless state of self acceptance takes perspicacity, courage and perseverance against the inevitable withering headwinds of the slings and arrows and vicissitudes of our life journey. If you cannot share your soul with yourself you are incapable of sharing it with others.

I believe that most decisions and actions are the result of either trying to look good to others (as a replacement for self acceptance and thusly self defeating) ... or ... fear (of failure, of loss, of infidelity, of acceptance, etc,) and that we must strive to change that into acceptance of self and others and believe in our ability to achieve and choose to make a positive difference.

I believe we must stand up for democracy and for a principled approach even if it causes us personal harm or criticism. Cowardice, inaction and appeasement are an enabling catalyst for tyranny.. be it in the home, the workplace or the nation. Political correctness is the abrogation of freedom of speech and stifles honest debate. It provides a convenient self righteous cover for those that propagate the tyranny of some minorities.

I believe we do a disservice if we tell people only what they want to hear, devoid of any inconvenient truths,  but recognize that this is only of value if delivered in a manner, time and place such that they can receive it, and that never feels judgmental nor uses the word “should” or equivalent prose.

I believe that in living in one of the freest and most democratic regimens on the planet that our freedoms and rights also come with responsibilities and accountability in equal measure... the sadly missing third leg that needs to be ensconced in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

I believe that truly great people do not seek the limelight as the limelight most assuredly will eventually seek them.

I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos, frustration or anger.

I think we should remember that we are part of a great whole, which for convenience we call nature. All living things are our brothers and sisters.

I believe in the genius of certain individuals, and I value a society that makes their existence possible.

I believe professions of  “love” is not love but selfish control if it is accompanied either implicitly or explicitly by “buts”.

I believe that men can learn self-sacrifice, integrity and sense of responsibility by observing women.  Single moms sacrifice their life, their love life, and often work two jobs to bring up their children. Men abandon and move on; women struggle with the aftermath.  Yes, there are some laudable single fathers; but they are very much a minority.

I believe that most men, but thankfully not all, are total failures as lovers as they either don’t know, or don’t care, that women are multi-orgasmic and do not ensure that they totally develop and fulfil their partners potential for cascading orgasms in each session and playfully and attentively pleasure her and enjoy the journey and the wonderful intimacy cuddling in the afterglow.

I believe that a life without authenticity and intimacy with a soulmate lover is a barren life.  Success or failure in this universal quest for acceptance and companionship is determined by the tenacity, effort, risks and choices undertaken by us, and those close to us.  Hence, collectively, not individually, we are the authors of our destiny.