Very Important Survey About Buttons

What is the correct name for the bottom button in this picture?

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I always called it "ecks" but with the understanding that it's properly "cross"
  • kill living beings
    X
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    In Rayman 2, they said "the cross button" and I was very confused
  • kill living beings
    honestly i remember most actual games just using a symbol. not that that works with voice acting, but, well.
  • edited 2017-05-02 16:58:36
    Either B (as it's called on the SNES pad), or "bottom" or "lower" (as it is the bottom button of a diamond-shaped arrangement).

Due to the huge numbers of names for these buttons, I prefer the directional names:
    * outer (A on an SNES pad)
    * inner (Y on an SNES pad)
    * upper (X on an SNES pad)
    * lower (B on an SNES pad)

I think A and B, and X and Y, are each reversed between themselves on an XBox controller, which is probably more often referenced by players these days than the SNES controller, which I'm a lot more familiar with since I don't think I've ever used an XBox controller for more than a few minutes.  (I've used Playstation-style controls for...maybe an hour, actually.  Contrast SNES, which was the system of a number of my formative experiences.)

Also, when I use similar controls on keyboard, I actually map them to the left hand, and mirror-image the buttons -- so that "outer" is still "outer", but is now on the left.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Answering a question about a PlayStation controller by talking about Super Nintendo controllers is the most GMH thing
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.

I always called it "ecks" but with the understanding that it's properly "cross"

Internally it's actually fork, presumably due to the fact that DSes are manufactured in China.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    "X."
  • edited 2017-05-02 17:39:06

Answering a question about a PlayStation controller by talking about Super Nintendo controllers is the most GMH thing

Then what if it's "by talking about XBox Controllers"?  I guess that's a Tatterhood thing.

But seriously, it's the same dang diamond of buttons.

I'm actually annoyed that Playstation designers at some point decided to upend the SNES-style menu controls for RPGs only because of the stuff on the face buttons.

FYI for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about:

On the SNES it's customary that the outer button ("A" on that controller) is used to accept a choice and the lower button ("B" on that controller) is used to cancel a choice.

This was consistent with the PlayStation controller in Japan, where the circle or "O" outer button is used to accept a choice and the "X" bottom button is used to cancel a choice.

However, at some point someone was like, "but X marks the spot in the United States, and O is used for second player in Tic-Tac-Toe!" and then so they decided to use X, the bottom button, to accept choices and the inner button (square) or I think occasionally the upper button (triangle)? to reject choices.

This rearrangement was profoundly stupid.  I mean, X is also used in the United States to reject things, y'know?
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    B
    frankly it makes no sense to me to put shapes on buttons.

what are you gonna say? "press triangle to shoot your pea shooter"? Awkward.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Lewd.
    Rude.
  • Crystal said:

Lewd.

it's the one time i agree with imipolex on something that involves a pair of bulges
    Crude.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    X
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    South, actually. You're all wrong.
  • South, actually. You're all wrong.

im_okay_with_this.png
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Ecks

• Answering a question about a PlayStation controller by talking about Super Nintendo controllers is the most GMH thing

Then what if it's "by talking about XBox Controllers"?  I guess that's a Tatterhood thing.

I'm actually annoyed that Playstation designers at some point decided to upend the SNES-style menu controls for RPGs only because of the stuff on the face buttons.

On the SNES it's customary that the outer button ("A" on that controller) is used to accept a choice and the lower button ("B" on that controller) is used to cancel a choice.

This was consistent with the PlayStation controller in Japan, where the circle or "O" outer button is used to accept a choice and the "X" bottom button is used to cancel a choice.

However, at some point someone was like, "but X marks the spot in the United States, and O is used for second player in Tic-Tac-Toe!" and then so they decided to use X, the bottom button, to accept choices and the inner button (square) or I think occasionally the upper button (triangle)? to reject choices.

This rearrangement was profoundly stupid.  I mean, X is also used in the United States to reject things, y'know?

South, actually. You're all wrong.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a console that labels them N-E-S-W as such.
    The SNES controller is the one that all other controllers since have been trying to improve on...and failing.
  • edited 2017-05-04 15:08:48
    The various PlayStation controllers seem like pretty much a straight improvement. Unless you don't like having handles on the controller or something.
    Handles, who needs 'em
  • South, actually. You're all wrong.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been a console that labels them N-E-S-W as such.
    Nintendo
    Entertainment
    System
    West
  • Jane said:

There are some times when I don't get what you mean, and this is one of them.
    DYRE said:

The various PlayStation controllers seem like pretty much a straight improvement. Unless you don't like having handles on the controller or something.

I don't, because I hold controllers from the sides, and the handles force me to hold them from the bottom.
  • that's the "x" button, pronounced "ecks"

also this
    Odradek said:

In Rayman 2, they said "the cross button" and I was very confused