I don't actually know why people hate Guy Fieri

It always seemed vaguely classist

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    how so
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Me neither.

I mean, I get the joke of his presence in Homestuck on an absurdity level but the disdain for him seems grander and more nebulous and they can't all be memers, can they?
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Like the only thing I've seen is some kind of vague rumors he's homophobic

Except I looked it up and his sister is a lesbian and he's officiated gay weddings in Florida so either he's deep undercover or those rumors are lies
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    The stated reasons I've heard: 

1. He's ruining Food Network. Which strikes me as odd because I wasn't aware there were that many hip young people on the internet who cared about Food Network. And because Guy Fieri is really secondary here—even if you think the shows he hosts are demonstrably terrible, the people who are really ruining the station are the executives who keep giving Guy Fieri new shows, and the audience who keeps watching those shows and therefore convinces the executives that Guy Fieri should get more shows.

2. He's trying to kill his audience by focusing on wildly unhealthy foods in his shows. Because TV shows cause bad eating just like video games cause violence.

I think the real reason is that he looks like an obnoxious frat bro, so people have a knee-jerk dislike of him. And then they make up a different reason after the fact to pretend they aren't being shallow and judgmental.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    His restaurants are also pretty garish, I think, but that plugs back into the classist thing.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Like he's easy to make fun of, but I don't see a reason to actually hate him
  • kill living beings
    MetaFour said:

2. He's trying to kill his audience by focusing on wildly unhealthy foods in his shows.

i'm laughing

His restaurants are also pretty garish, I think, but that plugs back into the classist thing.

but the reviews are amazing
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yeah, food critics have to go to these things, so their reaction is understandable.
  • edited 2017-04-29 03:33:12
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Another data point is that Food Network has changed a lot since, well, let's say 1999 (when Good Eats premiered). Food Network used to be about pithy how-to shows and quiet, PM Magazine-ish travelogues (I wonder if anyone but me remembers The Best Of... and Food Finds) with the occasional showman's flair (Emeril Live comes to mind). 

And then Iron Chef became a big hit, and the take-away at Food Network HQ was that people wanted more competitive, macho Cooking Duels (and shows themed like them; I'll get to that) and less how-to shows and fluffy documentaries. Diners, Drive-ins and Dives is a travelogue, but it definitely fits the ~exciting new direction~ Food Network embarked on after, oh, 2004 or so (and definitely after they shoved most of the older shows off to Cooking Channel), and a lot of people who liked the old, low-key Food Network hold it up as a poster child of How Bad Food Network Is Now even if it may not totally deserve it.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Guy Fieri's cooking is directly responsible for Smash Mouth failing to eat the eggs, the ultimate sin.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Also, DD&D is something of an indirect sequel to Alton Brown's travelogue series Feasting on Asphalt, and as such I have to wonder if there are AB/Good Eats fans bitter that he didn't get the role.
  • Darkest Dungeons & Dragons