When is Microsoft going to fix Skype?

edited 2017-04-21 20:41:30 in General
I mean if they're nuking Wunderlist why can't they get under Skype's hood and make it not suck?

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    People still use Skype, so what incentive does Microsoft have to revamp it?
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Shows you how much I know

Everyone I know has ditched it for Discord so I assumed it was shriveling up
    I am also upset about Wunderlist's impending demise, so
  • what's wunderlist

*too lazy to web search*
    it's an online to-do list service, which Microsoft bought in 2015
  • It's lost a lot of ground to FaceTime and Discord, but Skype as a brand remains valuable on account of the fact that as of right now it remains shorthand for "video chat" in a way that brings to mind how "Google" acts as a synonym for "web search," if not quite as much now as it was when it did at its peak

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a radical overhaul of the service within the next few years to try to get it up to par as a competitor to Discord and its kin, but I feel like Microsoft wouldn't be eager to drop the name unless it were to suddenly lose all credibility overnight
    yeah I figured they'd keep the brand at least, though there's a disconnect between OP and title

they just really need to fix it
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Does anybody still use Google Hangouts for anything?

Like I know the original Google Talk was really popular and Hangouts initially seemed to coast on Talk's momentum but it seems like basically nobody uses it as their primary chat program now
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-04-22 08:47:37
    Also Skype still has a pretty good grip on professional businesses through heritage Lync.
  • hangouts is what I usually use the most, admittedly because it's where I talk to calica
  • Does anybody still use Google Hangouts for anything?

Like I know the original Google Talk was really popular and Hangouts initially seemed to coast on Talk's momentum but it seems like basically nobody uses it as their primary chat program now

my best friend and I still use it and love it
    Oh don't get me wrong, I love Hangouts, but none of my friends really use it anymore except Anonus.
  • the only time I ever used hangouts was to be on a variety show on twitch
  • edited 2017-04-22 20:39:24
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

Oh don't get me wrong, I love Hangouts, but none of my friends really use it anymore except Anonus.

You can build it right into Chrome, carry the conversation across multiple devices

It works for me
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    I'd say the vast majority of my hangouts messages are with buttercrispy