here I am, trying to look up good, wholesome crop rotation memes

Comments

• My dreams exceed my real life
    *extremely person who understands history voice* liberalism was far more responsible for ending the age of the old lords and nobles in Europe than the johnny-come-lately that is Communism
    In the American revolution, the Sons of Liberty were woke radicals and the Tories were disgusting liberals

John Locke, who's that?
  • kill living beings
    yes, this is what a peasant looked like
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Odradek said:

*extremely person who understands history voice* liberalism was far more responsible for ending the age of the old lords and nobles in Europe than the johnny-come-lately that is Communism

isn't that just how history unfolds? feudalism, then liberalism, then glorious stateless communism?
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Odradek said:

In the American revolution, the Sons of Liberty were woke radicals and the Tories were disgusting liberals

John Locke, who's that?
    Weren't the Sons of Liberty basically 18th century ancap memelords?
    Calica said:

Odradek said:

isn't that just how history unfolds? feudalism, then liberalism, then glorious stateless communism?
    Yes and this moron doesn't even know that level of simplified pseudo-history
  • kill living beings
    so i found the full image and the communist is represented by Louis-Léopold Boilly's Portrait of a Sans-Culotte. Sans-Culottes were the populist backbone of the French Revolution. so that's like, the absolute end of feudalism, and also sans-culottes were mainly urban, so more of a working class kind of thing there.

The liberal is from this picture which is described, and even sourced as, a recolored photo. I find that frankly unbelievable given how drawn it looks. I looked around a bit and hey
    (from here) so that's... interesting. But let's say this photo is from the 1890s like it says, and depicts a peasant.

Now as far as I can tell feudalism in Ireland was, formally speaking at least, ended by the 1898 local government act, which transferred local power from appointed landlords to elected councils. But I think calling 19th century Ireland feudal is a bit dubious, not least because most of the terribleness was more due to the colonial situation.

So both of these are extremely late feudalism at best, and I feel this betrays the ahistoricity of the meme quite handily. Indeed, were I to make a similar meme, I would go for medieval feudalism. Medieval serfs of course violently rose up, all the time. Wikipedia lists at least a hundred revolts throughout world history major enough that even chroniclers extremely disinterested in the lives of peasants bothered to record them, and that's even if we exclude the revolts against e.g. the new Soviet system.

Also, I don't get "crop rotation" as a joke. Like, is that supposed to be unimportant? Sure, feudalism is the worst and ought to have been destroyed earlier, but improved food production is nothing to sneeze at. And novel crop rotation methods would indeed have been imposed by lords - not because they're smarter at agriculture than peasants or anything (haw) or care that peasants are starving, but because they had actual communications networks and wanted more stuff like usual. The most famous crop rotation pioneering, a four-crop rotation including turnips as allegorically depicted in Chinese propaganda cartoon Maoyuu Maou Yuusha, was indeed spread by some noble type dickhead. (It says "pioneered by farmers in the Waasland region" and I don't know if that means peasants and frankly I've spent way too much time on this stupid fucking meme anyway so I'm not going to research it, but it seems plausible.) It seems like the same kind of thing communists sometimes do now - "oh, your union negotiated you higher pensions? Why didn't you negotiate full communism?" except applied to feudalism, which is again, absolutely terrible, so it's more like "oh, you peasants asked for access to the granary to avoid having half your population rot in the streets after a bad harvest? Why didn't you negotiate full communism?" which I would also describe as terrible.

Anyway that stuff's boring. But I have good news!
    (that last one isn't about crop rotation but i thought it was nice and sincere #wholesome)

(also yes multiple jokes about wind turbines, ag comics killing it)
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    This'll plant you some nice fish-corn bushes!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    it really makes my day!