How do you prefer to control your character in 2D platformers?

I'm bored and need a thread to entertain me.

(A) arrow keys
(B) WASD
(C) a gamepad
(D) I don't play 2D platformers

If you answered A, B, or C, also answer this:

How do you prefer to jump?
(E) by pressing an action button using the other hand (e.g. Z, if using arrow keys)
(F) by pressing an action button using the same hand (e.g. spacebar, if using WASD)
(G) by pressing up

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    A or B, depends on what feels more right on the laptop or handheld console, but typically A. Then E or F, typically E. How I'm used to things.
  • A = B < C

Since most platformers I play are for console I don't really have a preference between wazzduh and arrow keys because neither are ideal solutions.

E > G and I'd take F right the F off the table
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Strong BG preference. Arrow keys are ok, but somewhat remove mouse utility. Additionally, the arrow keys on my laptop are annoying; the up/down keys are half-sized and I often hit the wrong one - hence my current strong B preference.

• C when possible, A or B otherwise. I'm like Kex in that regard; for me, the best way to play a platformer is with a controller.

I don't know if I've ever actually encountered a game that enforced the use of E, but I typically do stick with F by default and G when the control scheme demands it.
  • p.s. on a controller I really dig the Rayman Origins control scheme because it's super simple and doesn't get in the way whatsoever

Left analog stick to move myself, the rightmost face button (Circle on PlayStation, B on Xbox) to attack, the lowermost face button (X or A) to jump, and the right trigger (R2 or RT) to sprint. 👌🏾
  • C and E for me. Except for Shovel Knight all the platformers I've played have been on console.
  • C and E. I don't feel incredibly strongly about either question, though I tend to prefer a controller for almost all times of games.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Seconding TNS and Tatterhood here.
  • Tre said:

C when possible, A or B otherwise. I'm like Kex in that regard; for me, the best way to play a platformer is with a controller.

I don't know if I've ever actually encountered a game that enforced the use of E, but I typically do stick with F by default and G when the control scheme demands it.

E is basically classic Mario jump button, how it's one of the right hand's buttons
  • Ah. In that case, E on a gamepad but F on a keyboard.
  • C and E without a doubt.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    C-E or nothing.
  • ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    A = B < C

F