Beeud Whooder

edited 2017-03-13 20:50:51 in General
Merry Murray married Mary.

You ought not get caught in a cot.

Comments

• I'm not sure what the thread title should be
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Because you're not a True Pennsylvanian.
  • I am evidently supposed to recognize this but I don't actually.
    Philly accent things. The title is, of course, "bad water."
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

Philly accent things. The title is, of course, "bad water."

Hah, nice.
    The "beeud" (or really "bayud") thing is mostly a Northeast thing but it exists in subtler iterations throughout the area. It has to do with how short a reacts to different consonants in a syllable. "Whooder" is... apparently a Welsh thing originally. Sometimes it's more like "whudder."

The rest have to do with vowels that are merged other places but not here. Philadelphia accents are very vowel-rich.
  • My dreams exceed my real life

How often am I gonna have to post this
  • The "beeud" (or really "bayud") thing is mostly a Northeast thing but it exists in subtler iterations throughout the area. It has to do with how short a reacts to different consonants in a syllable. "Whooder" is... apparently a Welsh thing originally. Sometimes it's more like "whudder."

The rest have to do with vowels that are merged other places but not here. Philadelphia accents are very vowel-rich.

oh so you're saying you want some soop for your dish woosher
    Kinda? That's significantly further west. Similar principles apply.

South and to a lesser extent Northeast Philly accents are why every dumbass failing to imitate a Philly accent winds up sounding like a New York cabby. Had not rhyming with bad happens there, too. It's like the reverse of horse and hoarse in the South.