How many of these fonts can you name from their shitty early-'90s knockoffs?

Because this deserves its own thread.

Comments

• “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I immediately recognised Arial, Baskerville and Garamond.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Brush Script somehow still has its real name
  • Me being me, I caught Avenir and Futura right away. Let's see which others:

- Arena is probably most likely definitely supposed to be Arial, though it's missing the characteristic cut at the top of the lowercase "t" so it's possible that it might have actually been ripped off from Helvetica itself
    - As noted, Avian is Avenir
    - The Bordeaux family is Bauhaus
    - Minstrel (uhhhhhh... 👀) is Mistral
    - Cookie is Cooper
    - Optane is Optima
    - Schoolbook might be Bookman? It looks the part, but the difference in where it is in the alphabet might mean it's something else on account of matching up with its real counterpart
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    I think Schoolbook is supposed to be New Century Schoolbook?
    Isn't Avian Avant Garde?
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    Amphion is Americana.
    Arena looks like a condensed Helvetica.
    Avian looks like Century Gothic.
    Basset looks like Baskerville.
    Boston is something in the Bodoni family.
    Futurist looks like Tw Cen MT.
    Garnet is that crappy Garamond that comes with Windows.
    Palisade is either Palatino or Book Antiqua.
    Vagabond... looks like a rounded version of Century Gothic?

Also, notice that Casque Open Face and Grail Light are variants on the same font. (That lowercase A is pretty distinctive.) I know I've seen it before but I can't remember the name.
    I also recognize Gilde and Koffee, but can't remember their real names and now that's really going to bug me until I look them up.
    Oh, and Fritz is the Law & Order font.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    They seem to have tried to go for similar-sounding names. Futurist = Futura, Fritz = Friz Quadrata, Vagabond = VAG Rounded, etc.
    Coronet becoming "Cornet" is probably my favorite, though. Just take out a letter; it becomes a word with a completely different meaning, but it still looks close enough, right?
    Ahhhh, Gilde is Goudy. Had to look that one up.
  • I recognized Old English (which still has nearly the same name) and Friz Quadrata, as I mentioned in the other thread.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    "Hammer" is VGC Harry, by the way. Old film font that was super popular in the late 1970s and early 1980s, and yes, one of its weights was "Obese".
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    (to this day, only a bit of the old VGC library has been digitized)
    lee4hmz said:

(to this day, only a bit of the old VGC library has been digitized)

there's probably all kinds of cool shit that hasn't yet
  • Dingbats is Wingdings.

Stencil still has the same name?