Akira Kurosawa Birthday stream

So, last year I did a group watch of Seven Samurai on Akira Kurosawa's birthday, march 23rd and it was a lot of fun so I was thinking about doing it again this year. Since the 23rd is on a Thursday this year, which would conflict with Myr's stream, I'll be doing it on the 21st, a Tuesday, unless there's a conflict with another stream, in which case I'll figure something out as I go.

This thread is to gauge if people are interested in the idea, vote for which film to watch and assuming there are no conflicts on the 21st, coordinate the stream.

As for the choices of films to vote from I was thinking The Bad Sleep Well, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood and Rashamon.

Comments

• Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    I'm leaning towards Throne of Blood due to my own priorities, part of it being that TBSW would just wreck me before long, sadly.
  • I unfortunately won't be able to show up for this, but i heartily recommend The Bad Sleep Well
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm pretty sure that I could do the 21st.

We could intermission The Bad Sleep Well like we did Seven Samurai, and I think it would work.
  • @Section: Is that a vote for The Bad Sleep Well or just a suggestion if we do watch The Bad Sleep Well? I'm not sure.
  • Throne of Blood! Throne of Blood!
  • Yojimbo is the source of my powers. Every copy of Yojimbo is a piece of my soul.

so yeah let's watch that
  • edited 2017-03-08 04:55:29

Also, I forgot to mention, but the time for the stream would tentatively be 9 PM EST, though I can adjust within a certain amount to make it more accessible if so required.

@millercross, @Alduin: Would that for y'all? I don't know what time that is for y'all, what with time-zones and all.
    I was intending on voting for TBSW, FWIW.
  • Okay, cool. Thanks for the clarification.
  • For once, or maybe twice, I was in my prime.
    I'm interested in joining.
  • I'm on EST (toronto baby)
  • edited 2017-03-10 06:47:03

@Juan: Awesome.

@MetaFour: Sweet. The more the Merrier. Which film do you want to vote for? Also, would it help if I included a short description of every film? I kinda assumed a certain amount of familiarity with Kurosawa's work.

@Alduin: Does 9PM EST work for you? That's like 8 in the morning where you live, right?
    I'd be interested in The Bad Sleep Well, which is the only one listed that I haven't seen already.
  • Okay, it currently stands at 3 votes for The Bad Sleep Well, 2 for Throne of Blood and one for Yojimbo. Unless anyone want to make a last minute vote, it looks like The Bad Sleep Well is the winner. However, I'll keep the polls open until I get home from work around midnight in case anyone wants to make a last minute vote.

Also, reminder that this is tomorrow and checking to make sure people are still available.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    I'm most interested in The Bad Sleep Well and Ran myself, although there really are so many Kurosawa films I need to see...
  • edited 2017-03-21 19:50:47
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I'm available, but Edlyn won't be.
  • Gotcha. I'll send you the files to give to her.
  • Reminder that the stream is tonight at 8 PM EST.
    Oh cripes. I'm still trying to reset my sleep so I won't be awake for this at all... >~>
    8:15/8:30 would probably be better for me, assuming that we're doing this tonight.
  • I don't mind moving this back a week if that works better for people.
  • Honestly, it would be better for me if I pushed it back a week, so we'll shoot for next Tuesday.
  • edited 2017-03-21 22:11:10
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    It would work better for me too, honestly. I have a test tomorrow.

It'll still have to be at 8:30, though. I get off work at 8.
    Okee.

I look forward to this.

I'm most interested in The Bad Sleep Well and Ran myself, although there really are so many Kurosawa films I need to see...

If there's any possibility of watching Ran next week, I'd like to change my vote to that.
  • @MetaFour: I'd prefer not to add any last minute additions, since I already called the vote, but I could be persuaded to do this again relatively soon instead of waiting a whole year.
    Fair enough.