If you were a time traveler from the '90s, how would you prove it?

For a thing I'm tentatively writing.

Also going to include a bit where said character is incredulous that Donald Trump became president.
Tagged:

Comments

• kill living beings
    show them the time machine
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    wear flannel
  • show them the time machine

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    There is no time machine. It's done through magic. :|
  • edited 2017-02-17 20:54:05
    I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

well how would that work if your time machine were basically just a big computer with a door
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-17 21:02:50
    I mean if you're going to have a method of travel that leaves no discernible evidence, and goes forward in time to a a period where anything you could've taken with you is materially still available, you don't have many options in the way of proof.

Maybe carbon date a first-publication of the first Harry Potter book or something.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    time travel to 20xx first and bring something back from it
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-17 21:08:15
    Connect yourself to a missing-person case from the date of your disappearance, have sufficient identification on you to start an investigation, and try and get some sort of dental record confirmation.

Alternately if you're trying to keep it quiet, find a loved one who's still alive and tell them something only you would know.
    Only appreciate games, movies and music from the 90s and earlier

...wait
  • BeeBee
    edited 2017-02-17 21:14:29
    Be Mark-Paul Gosselaar and show up in a neon pink shirt with a brick wireless phone.  Nobody will doubt you.  Nobody.

You might actually convince them it's still the 90s.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Show up with your Pog collection wearing a slap bracelet. And scrunchies.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    ^^ & ^ It's still the '90s and you're a Cate Wurtz one-shot protagonist.
    Scrunchies are great
  • kill living beings
    Anonus said:

well how would that work if your time machine were basically just a big computer with a door
    big computers? now? impossible. you must be a time traveler or a very dorky historian
  • Point out the fact that a certain person traveled in time and establish your identity as the same as that person.

Or bring an old computer or SNES that doesn't have yellowed plastic.
  • vtkvtk
    embrace the confusion
    If you're planning to return to the 90s and the universe is Novikov-self-consistent, have someone give you a sealed envelope, then go dig up that envelope somewhere where it only could have been buried in the 90s or earlier and open it, then make sure to go back to the 90s and bury the still-unopened envelope there. Technically this only proves that you're going to go back to the 90s at some point, not that you're from the 90s, but I think it should suffice.