I want to hate The LEGO Movie, but I can't.

It's that movie's fault DreamWorks Animation had to write down Mr. Peabody & Sherman, and it pains me greatly that it was actually good.

Also, it's a Warner Bros. animation project that doesn't acknowledge anything else they own apart from the DC characters.
Tagged:

Comments

• AU, have I told you that both of my favorite films were commercial failures?

It's true. Both The Iron Giant and Scott Pilgrim bombed, and both were up against films that went on to be huge box office successes -- Giant with The Sixth Sense, Pilgrim with The Expendables.

I don't hate The Expendables or The Sixth Sense because of that, though. They're just movies, and while it is disappointing to see something you enjoy be considered a flop in terms of money, that can't stop you from enjoying the film itself. (Hell, perennial Tre favorite Turbo opened a few weeks after Despicable Me 2, and while I didn't like that one very much, it was more because of the film itself than anything else.)

I think it's also important to note that both Turbo and MPAS got the Netflix treatment (with multiple seasons!), something that probably wouldn't have come about at all if DWA had no faith in the franchises. (Granted, they have a bunch of TV stuff these days, but both of those actually appear to capture what made the films enjoyable on a smaller scale, something that can't be said about all of their spinoffs).
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    LEGO opened a month before Peabody, and I feel like it pretty much sucked up the demand there was for an animated movie

DWA's movies tended to lose money if they didn't have the market to themselves, a pattern which, frustratingly, nobody noticed.

Truthfully, fuck Despicable Me 2. Brazen cash-grab
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    Also, if you really wanna get into the nitty-gritty, Monsters University ate into the demand for Turbo too.

I dunno, I enjoyed both of the movies in the OP but like, I want DWA to do something with Moose and Squirrel again besides that short so that they can find a successor to June Foray while there's still time to do it in a passing-of-the-torch way