You just know

That 1940s playgrounds raged with arguments about whether or not Woody Woodpecker was a ripoff of Daffy Duck or the other way around.

Comments

• edited 2016-12-27 13:15:05
    “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Probably not, honestly. They're not very similar.

But then, Pokémon and Digimon are only slightly less dissimilar and that was a nightmare of bickering. Pokémon has kind of won out on a memetic level because the games are better and the monsters are cuter, but apparently Tri is really good on a story level, so I guess Digimon has its own niche still? The regular shows have apparently gone downhill since Tamers, though, but that's to be expected when you have Chiaki J Konaka show everyone up and then BAMF out of there.
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Yeah, I'm definitely going to go through at least some of the Digimon shows later on. I guess I could start Tri now, but considering I never finished any of the multiple seasons I watched as a child, it just doesn't feel right.
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I figured the question would be Daffy or Donald
  • Pokémon and Digimon had the weird combo of being popular at the same time, having similar names, and story hooks that were juuuuuust close enough to warrant a fandom war.

I don't know if that was ever a thing with Daffy vs. Donald, though. Sure, you have the general Disney vs. WB rivalry, but I don't know if people ever looked at that with such granularity.
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Confession: I preferred Frontier to Tamers as a kid. >_>
  • edited 2016-12-27 19:36:11
    Tamers is quite obviously paced and structured like a Konaka show, which is to say it moves like a glacier. If you weren't a very patient kid, if was probably exasperating. It also gets really, really heavy for a Saturday morning cartoon.

I'm not sure I would've liked it as a kid because it was too violent, though. >~>
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    ^^ I preferred Tamers to Frontier so I get you.
  • I like how Tamers went pretty Lovecraft near the end

I'm also still amazed that Frontier got away with the conceit that it did
  • I was Pokémon-aligned as a kid but I was also kinda secretly curious about Digimon at the same time.
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    The one true childhood anime was CCS anyway.
  • which was named Cardcaptors
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    fucking nelvana
  • edited 2016-12-28 10:58:32
    I forgot that Frontier was the one where they turned into monsters. I also tend to forget that it came between Tamers and Savers, which was notoriously Not Very Good.

I guess they hit the wall there? Upbeat series with a neat bit of wish fulfilment doesn't do so well after a dark, traumatising series, and then they think they can repeat that formula and fail to grasp that the darkness wasn't actually the interesting part.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

The one true childhood anime was CCS anyway.

My sister watched a lot of Sailor Moon as a child, but CCS never drifted to where we were. We did have the Streamline dub of My Neighbour Totoro, though, which was important.
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    The US dub of Cardcaptor Sakura aired on Kids' WB!, I guess you didn't have a WB station?
  • edited 2016-12-28 13:55:54
    We just watched other things and didn't notice.

I watched a lot of PBS, which is to say I had the distinct and rather bizarre pleasure of growing up watching Mr. Rogers and Gargoyles on the same channel.

I also developed a very low commercial tolerance.
    Also, if I were watching such a network—which would have been irrelevant to me; I mainly remembered Nickelodeon and Disney in those terms for *very* specific reasons—I would have been watching Pinky and the Brain or Animaniacs, which I did enjoy. Girly anime has only really become my jam in the last few years, although I put up with Sailor Moon because my sister watched the VHSes endlessly and the whole Tuxedo Mask "mystery" was kind of engaging.
    (We rented a lot of videos from Blockbuster, some of which never got returned... >->;)
  • edited 2016-12-28 17:21:16
    edutainment, early childhood:
    3 2 1 Contact / 3 2 1 Classroom Contact
    Mr. Wizard's World
    Mr. Rogers' Neighborhood
    Sesame Street

edutainment, later childhood:
    Bill Nye the Science Guy
    Kratt's Creatures
    Wishbone

non-edu entertainment, early childhood:
    Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (vaguely)

non-edu entertainment, later childhood:
    Mega Man (Ruby-Spears)
    Voltron
    Pokémon
    a random smattering of the following, depending on what times were appropriate to me (read: when my parents were busy): Sailor Moon, Robocop, Gargoyles, Dragon Flyz, Batman Animated, Superman Animated, X-Men animated, Eagle Riders, Power Rangers Zeo, Power Rangers in Space, negligible amounts of other Power Rangers, as well as negligible amounts of Digimon and Cardcaptors and YuGiOh

you know, maybe that's why I'm not really into typical cartoony humor; basically none of these shows are comedies, and i can't really remember when Looney Tunes / Merrie Melodies / etc. came into my life, and they feel like afterthoughts