Translation vs translation

And thorns shall come up in her palaces, nettles and brambles in the fortresses thereof: and it shall be an habitation of dragons, and a court for owls.
vs
Thorns shall grow over its strongholds, nettles and thistles in its fortresses. It shall be the haunt of jackals, an abode for ostriches.

Comments

• kill living beings
    it's cool how animal and plant words just completely lose coherence after a while.

"gofer" in the bible is a fucking mystery but "gvina" is definitely cheese
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    "an habitation of dragons" is a cool phrase
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    What is this from, precisely?
  • edited 2016-10-13 04:08:01
    kill living beings
    Isaiah. thus many translations

KJV and English Standard, i guess. interestingly, NIV goes halfway "Thorns will overrun her citadels, nettles and brambles her strongholds. She will become a haunt for jackals, a home for owls."
  • why ostriches though
  • I have cut a caper with the dancing mad god
    Dragons and owls > jackals and ostriches, in my humble opinion. 

I also find it interesting how the second version de-genderizes it. It goes from 'her' to 'it' and replaces 'palace' with 'stronghold,' a more masculine noun. 
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Ostriches

Ostriches and jackals seem to be mentioned together often as signifiers of things that live out in the wilderness
    Old Testament prophecy seems to frequently characterize Israel as feminine, but at some point somebody probably decided that was Problematic.
  • edited 2016-10-13 16:31:46
    If dragons instead of people were the dominant sentient species on Earth, would they be as obnoxious as people?

...actually they might if they have a similar level of intelligence
  • Old Testament prophecy seems to frequently characterize Israel as feminine, but at some point somebody probably decided that was Problematic.

Actually it's almost certainly the opposite, renaissance and later-era Bible translators had good incentive to present everything godly as also being Very Masculine.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    Stream in about an hour here https://cytu.be/r/HHStream

Old Testament prophecy seems to frequently characterize Israel as feminine, but at some point somebody probably decided that was Problematic.

Actually it's almost certainly the opposite, renaissance and later-era Bible translators had good incentive to present everything godly as also being Very Masculine.
    Sure, but the verses in question are invariably about Israel being Very Bad and not godly at all.