Fox turns 30 years old today

They claim their birthday was on April 5, 1987, but it was really on October 9, 1986.

Comments

• You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Have a foxy birthday, you old network, you!
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    *Simpsons quote*
  • get out of my month you conservative shithole
  • get out of my month you conservative shithole

well, yeah, their creation was on the 7th, but AU's talking about the one that isn't news-y

(Fox News is 20 years old now as well)
    always found it kinda weird how Fox News turned out to be a conservative thing
  • it turns out foxes don't really care about news so they had to find a different audience to target
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat

always found it kinda weird how Fox News turned out to be a conservative thing

Rupert Murdoch has made a mint off of peddling conservative viewpoints, here and in the UK

Anyway this is about the Fox Broadcasting Company, not the Fox News Channel
    Thing is, back in the day, Fox made it kind of a thing to be seen as "edgy" or whatever compared to the big three networks.

So when Fox News starts up, it's.......aimed at stodgy old people?
    I always thought that was weird too, in that regard

Especially because Fox News also uses a lot of this "cool" rock-tinged music that doesn't sound like it's for senior citizens
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    i thought it was about rebelling against the government and being an edgy iconoclast
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    well actually i thought it was about creating a political climate favourable to Rupert Murdoch
    Both

Ol' Rupe's lost his touch lately, the Fox people said that the position ESPN was in now was similar to that the Big Three were in in 1986, and how CNN was in 1996, and so they launched Fox Sports 1, which has, three years in, already started just calling itself "FS1" and weakly imitating its older nemesis
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    As for Fox News, Ailes got the boot for being despicable on a personal level and I think one of the Mini-Murdochs is running it now?

Incidental note: Rupert Murdoch's father was a war correspondent and investigative reporter back in the day, so he didn't just get into news out of love of money, although that did help.