ITT: Minimalism

edited 2011-07-19 00:07:54 in General

Comments

• I wish I could go back in time and slap myself.
    I c
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
  • TUMUT CREW REPRESENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! tumut

• edited 2011-07-19 18:51:48
    Touch the cow. Do it now.
    Universally that person's acumen is esteemed very little perceptive concerning whatsoever matters are being held as most profitably by mortals with sapience endowed to be studied who is ignorant of that which the most in doctrine erudite and certainly by reason of that in them high mind's ornament deserving of veneration constantly maintain when by general consent they affirm that other circumstances being equal by no exterior splendour is the prosperity of a nation more efficaciously asserted than by the measure of how far forward may have progressed the tribute of its solicitude for that proliferent continuance which of evils the original if it be absent when fortunately present constitutes the certain sign of omnipotent nature's incorrupted benefaction. For who is there who anything of some significance has apprehended but is conscious that that exterior splendour may be the surface of a downwardtending lutulent reality or on the contrary anyone so is there unilluminated as not to perceive that as no nature's boon can contend against the bounty of increase so it behoves every most just citizen to become the exhortator and admonisher of his semblables and to tremble lest what had in the past been by the nation excellently commenced might be in the future not with similar excellence accomplished if an inverecund habit shall have gradually traduced the honourable by ancestors transmitted customs to that thither of profundity that that one was audacious excessively who would have the hardihood to rise affirming that no more odious offence can for anyone be than to oblivious neglect to consign that evangel simultaneously command and promise which on all mortals with prophecy of abundance or with diminution's menace that exalted of reiteratedly procreating function ever irrevocably enjoined?
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    tl;d story bro
  • wat
    James Joyce, Ulysses, 1922. Fun fact: Samuel Beckett felt he couldn't compete with Joyce's complex prose experiments, so decided to go the other way - toward minimalism.

That's wat.
  • ::::o
  • less talk more rokk
  • edited 2011-12-28 19:07:21
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

i get so angry sometimes i just punch plankton --Klinotaxis

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Most of Ulysses is not nearly that dense. That's the beginning of the Oxen of the Sun episode, which is by far the hardest to read.
    I really have no idea. Supposedly it does mean something, but I forget what.
  • READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Numbers 1

The Census
     1 The LORD spoke to Moses in the tent of meeting in the Desert of Sinai on the first day of the second month of the second year after the Israelites came out of Egypt. He said: 2 “Take a census of the whole Israelite community by their clans and families, listing every man by name, one by one. 3 You and Aaron are to count according to their divisions all the men in Israel who are twenty years old or more and able to serve in the army. 4 One man from each tribe, each of them the head of his family, is to help you. 5 These are the names of the men who are to assist you:

from Reuben, Elizur son of Shedeur;

6 from Simeon, Shelumiel son of Zurishaddai;

7 from Judah, Nahshon son of Amminadab;

8 from Issachar, Nethanel son of Zuar;

9 from Zebulun, Eliab son of Helon;

10 from the sons of Joseph: 
       from Ephraim, Elishama son of Ammihud; 
       from Manasseh, Gamaliel son of Pedahzur;

11 from Benjamin, Abidan son of Gideoni;

12 from Dan, Ahiezer son of Ammishaddai;

13 from Asher, Pagiel son of Okran;

14 from Gad, Eliasaph son of Deuel;

15 from Naphtali, Ahira son of Enan.”

16 These were the men appointed from the community, the leaders of their ancestral tribes. They were the heads of the clans of Israel.

17 Moses and Aaron took these men whose names had been specified, 18 and they called the whole community together on the first day of the second month. The people registered their ancestry by their clans and families, and the men twenty years old or more were listed by name, one by one, 19 as the LORD commanded Moses. And so he counted them in the Desert of Sinai:

20 From the descendants of Reuben the firstborn son of Israel: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 21 The number from the tribe of Reuben was 46,500.

22 From the descendants of Simeon: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were counted and listed by name, one by one, according to the records of their clans and families. 23 The number from the tribe of Simeon was 59,300.

24 From the descendants of Gad: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 25 The number from the tribe of Gad was 45,650.

26 From the descendants of Judah: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 27 The number from the tribe of Judah was 74,600.

28 From the descendants of Issachar: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 29 The number from the tribe of Issachar was 54,400.

30 From the descendants of Zebulun: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 31 The number from the tribe of Zebulun was 57,400.

32 From the sons of Joseph:

From the descendants of Ephraim: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 33 The number from the tribe of Ephraim was 40,500.

34 From the descendants of Manasseh: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 35 The number from the tribe of Manasseh was 32,200.

36 From the descendants of Benjamin: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 37 The number from the tribe of Benjamin was 35,400.

38 From the descendants of Dan: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 39 The number from the tribe of Dan was 62,700.

40 From the descendants of Asher: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 41 The number from the tribe of Asher was 41,500.

42 From the descendants of Naphtali: 
       All the men twenty years old or more who were able to serve in the army were listed by name, according to the records of their clans and families. 43 The number from the tribe of Naphtali was 53,400.

44 These were the men counted by Moses and Aaron and the twelve leaders of Israel, each one representing his family. 45All the Israelites twenty years old or more who were able to serve in Israel’s army were counted according to their families.46 The total number was 603,550.

47 The ancestral tribe of the Levites, however, was not counted along with the others. 48 The LORD had said to Moses: 49“You must not count the tribe of Levi or include them in the census of the other Israelites. 50 Instead, appoint the Levites to be in charge of the tabernacle of the covenant law—over all its furnishings and everything belonging to it. They are to carry the tabernacle and all its furnishings; they are to take care of it and encamp around it. 51 Whenever the tabernacle is to move, the Levites are to take it down, and whenever the tabernacle is to be set up, the Levites shall do it. Anyone else who approaches it is to be put to death. 52 The Israelites are to set up their tents by divisions, each of them in their own camp under their standard. 53 The Levites, however, are to set up their tents around the tabernacle of the covenant law so that my wrath will not fall on the Israelite community. The Levites are to be responsible for the care of the tabernacle of the covenant law.”

54 The Israelites did all this just as the LORD commanded Moses.

and Justice begat Anonus and Anonus begat Jumpingzombie and Jumpingzombie begat Loid and Loid begat Central Avenue and Central Avenue begat Squiddle Tron and Squiddle Tron begat Tnophelia and Tnophelia begat Whale and Whale begat Imipolex and Imipolex begat Tre and Tre begat Ramus and Ramus begat Vriska and Vriska begat thespacephantom and thespacephantom begat Counterclock and Counterclock begat Seamus and Seamus begat deathpigeon and deathpigeon begat Awesome Zombie and Awesome Zombie begat vociferousMasochist and vociferousMasochist begat Haven and Haven begat lolacat and lolacat begat Zersk and Zersk begat Idler and Idler begat Nicolas Cage, our savior.
  • Ugh, that was always my least favorite part of the Heaper's Bible.
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    Who was RockMeOutHermanCain, anyway?

Also, this must be revived.
  • edited 2013-06-09 02:50:59
    READ MY CROSS SHIPPING-FANFICTION, DAMMIT!

Justice42 said:

• We can do anything if we do it together.
  • Glass and Reich remind me a lot of Einstein.

People with a handful of truly revolutionary ideas that were carried further by others while they remained stuck.
    That is very true, especially of Glass. Reich I find more engaging; he makes up for lack of variety with consistency.
  • edited 2013-06-09 04:20:49

Might as well finish off the pioneers
    LaMonte Young is best appreciated in infrequent but broad draughts.
  • Reich I find more engaging; he makes up for lack of variety with consistency.

Reich does compose many beautiful things, but Glass...

Even though his pieces are much more hit and miss, occasionally there is this glimpse of something...

that i cannot find words for.
    How so?
  • edited 2013-06-09 04:51:13

i dunno how to articulate it really.

i guess it's just me being weird i guess, but like

there isn't even a point of comparison to describe how this makes me feel

and there ain't a whole lot of things that provoke that
    Is it a negative emotion? Positive?

I get having emotions where words fail you, but I'm really curious because you are implying something very interesting.
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    sometimes you just don't know how to react.

i know the feeling.
  • edited 2013-06-09 05:29:50

^ nah, that isn't it.

positive
  • Not a hybrid rabbit-skink spirit
    oh well i guess idon't know what i'm talking about then

=/
    Actually, I think I get what you mean now. Glass at his weakest is treading water, but at his strongest, his work is something truly inspired.
  • and Justice begat Anonus and Anonus begat Jumpingzombie and Jumpingzombie begat Loid and Loid begat Central Avenue and Central Avenue begat Squiddle Tron and Squiddle Tron begat Tnophelia and Tnophelia begat Whale and Whale begat Imipolex and Imipolex begat Tre and Tre begat Ramus and Ramus begat Vriska and Vriska begat thespacephantom and thespacephantom begat Counterclock and Counterclock begat Seamus and Seamus begat deathpigeon and deathpigeon begat Awesome Zombie and Awesome Zombie begat vociferousMasochist and vociferousMasochist begat Haven and Haven begat lolacat and lolacat begat Zersk and Zersk begat Idler and Idler begat Nicolas Cage, our savior.

Man, that's not even in the same testament.
  • Most of Ulysses is not nearly that dense. That's the beginning of the Oxen of the Sun episode, which is by far the hardest to read.

Once, when I was taking a psychology class, there were two excerpts in the book. One was by James Joyce. The other was by a schizophrenic. I found no difference between the excerpts and, if you had asked me to choose, I would have labeled Joyce's excerpt as the work of a schizophrenic.
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    They’re selling postcards of the hangingThey’re painting the passports brownThe beauty parlor is filled with sailorsThe circus is in town
    Here comes the blind commissionerThey’ve got him in a tranceOne hand is tied to the tight-rope walkerThe other is in his pants
    And the riot squad they’re restlessThey need somewhere to goAs lady and I look out tonightFrom desolation row
    Cinderella, she seems so easyIt takes one to know one, she smilesAnd puts her hands into her back pocketsBette Davis style
    And in comes Romeo, he’s moaning"You belong to me I believe"And someone turns and says to him"My friend you'd better leave"
    And the only sound that’s leftAfter the ambulances goIs Cinderella sweeping upOn desolation row
    Now the moon is almost hiddenThe stars they're just pretending to hideThe fortunetelling ladyHas even taken all her things inside

All except for Cain and AbelAnd the hunchback of Notre DameEveryone is makin' loveOr else expecting rain
    And the good Samaritan, he’s dressingHe’s getting ready for the showHe’s going to the carnival tonightOn desolation row
    Ophelia, she’s ’neath the windowFor her I feel so afraidOn her twenty-second birthdayShe already is an old maid
    Now to her, death is quite romanticShe wears an iron vestHer profession is her religionHer sin is her lifelessness
    And though her eyes are fixed uponNoah’s great rainbowShe spends her time peekingInto desolation row
    Einstein, disguised as Robin HoodWith his memories in a trunkPassed this way an hour agoWith his friend, some jealous monk

Now he looked so immaculately frightfulAs he bummed his cigaretteThen he went off sniffing drainpipesAnd reciting the alphabet
    You would not think to look at himBut he was famous long agoFor playing the electric violinOn desolation row
    Dr. Filth, he keeps his worldLocked inside of his leather cupBut all his sexless patientsThey’re trying to blow it up
    Now his nurse, some local loserShe’s in charge of the cyanide holeShe also keeps the cards that read"Have mercy on his soul"
    They all play on the penny whistleYou can hear them blowIf you lean your head out far enoughFrom desolation row

Across the street they’ve nailed the curtains
    They’re getting ready for the feast
    The phantom of the opera
    In a perfect image of a priest

They’re spoon feeding Casanova
    To get him to feel more assured
    Then they’ll kill him with self-confidence
    After poisoning him with words

And the phantom shouts to skinny girls
    "Get outta here if you don’t know
    Casanova he's just being punished for going
    To desolation row"

Now at midnight all the agents
    And the superhuman crew
    Come out and round up everyone
    That knows more than they do

Then they bring them to the factory
    Where the heart attack machine
    Is strapped across their shoulders
    And then the kerosene

Is brought down from the castles
    By insurance men who go
    Check to see that no one is escaping
    To desolation row

Praise be to Nero’s Neptune
    The Titanic sails at dawn
    And everybody’s shouting
    "Which side are you on?"

And Ezra Pound and T.S. Elliott
    Fighting in the captain’s tower
    While Calypso's singers laugh at them
    And fishermen hold flowers

Between the windows of the sea
    Where lovely mermaids flow
    And nobody has to think too much
    About desolation row

Yes, I received your letter yesterday
    About the time the door knob broke
    When you asked me how I was doing
    Was that some kind of joke?

All these people that you mention
    Yes, I know them, they’re quite lame
    I had to rearrange their faces
    And give them all another name

Right now I cannot read too well
    Don’t send me no more letters, no
    Not unless you mail them
    From desolation row
  • Smee, Maiman, Doktar, Pavelier, Button-Lee, Juan Ovyu
    I give you a hamburger
    Yarrun said:

Most of Ulysses is not nearly that dense. That's the beginning of the Oxen of the Sun episode, which is by far the hardest to read.

Once, when I was taking a psychology class, there were two excerpts in the book. One was by James Joyce. The other was by a schizophrenic. I found no difference between the excerpts and, if you had asked me to choose, I would have labeled Joyce's excerpt as the work of a schizophrenic.
    Well, it was Jung's opinion that Joyce wrote Finnegans Wake as a means of staving off schizophrenia.

So you may be onto something there