How is it that people say y is "sometimes" a vowel but not w?

Like, if y is a vowel in "toy", isn't w a vowel in "tow"?

Just sayin'.

Comments

• kill living beings
    i've always heard it as them both being sometimes-vowels, actually

though i assumed with 'w' it would be some welsh gibberish
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    You're right, but 'y' also has the role of a vowel in the middle of words sometimes. or on the end of a word following the last consonant, e.g. 'lynx', 'synergy', 'style', 'fly'

Off the top of my head i can think of only one English word where the same is true for 'w', and it's a Welsh loanword ('cwm')
  • i may be misremembering what constitutes a vowel but im p sure your lips close on the w in tow
  • and sometimes m and n are vowels too
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    isn't tow pronounced the same as toe?

i think the term is diphthong
    it is

a vowel is a sound produced by unobstructed breath
    i think my lips round slightly more when i say 'tow' but i'm not sure

just sitting here going 'toe', 'tow' to myself
  • *cough*RWBY*cough*
  • edited 2016-10-01 03:56:48
    ...And even when your hope is gone
    move along, move along, just to make it through
    (2015 self)
    No.  

A, E, I, O, and U.  Sometimes Y.

Or else Syzygy couldn't be a word, because every word has at least one vowel.  Cwm is welsh garbageness, and my ancestors left the english isles to get away from that nonsense and live on the continent where W IS NOT A VOWEL.  Religious freedom was just as excuse, we mostly wanted to get away from w-as-a-vowel.

See, a long time ago, a guy murdered everybody's parents with a crwth, leaving everybody in the English Isles as orphans.  And that's why we don't use cheese with crackers to open locks, because turtles can't fly far enough to get the cows to us so we can milk the cows to make the cheese, and the only way to teleport turtles is to say the word, "crwth", which makes everybody too sad to pick the locks in the first place.

So, our safecracking wizarding heritage of the English Isles had to either learn to cope with the great tragedy of something-twenty-eight, or leave for another land, with different vowel opportunities and also buffalo.
    ooh, good catch Toolsie
  • kill living beings
    great britain isn't a continent anyway

in europe they have too many vowels. there's no other explanation for "bourgeoisie".
  • RWBY is a double whammy, because the w is pronounced "u" and the y is pronounced "e".
  • Yes, I am binge watching this show again.
  • I recently watched Karen Senki which is like RWBY but by the Japanese (and the Chinese) and starring fewer superheroes and in a post-apocalylptic world ruled by robots rather than fantasy combat school.
  • The thing is that really, letters aren't vowels or consonants, sounds are, and those don't correspond one-to-one.

The "ow" in "tow" is a vowel sound, all together. So W can be part of a vowel but, "cwm" excepted, it can't be one on its own in English.
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-10-01 05:43:08
    For words like this, if you can pronounce the syllable without it, it's not a vowel.

If you take the w out of "tow" it's still pronounceable.  You can't pronounce shit without the o.
  • apparently "cwm" is a Welsh loanword and the proper English version is 'corrie'.

Source: two minutes on wikiped
  • I originally thought this was about whether u counts as a consonant in Spanish that sounds like w in English.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Bee said:

For words like this, if you can pronounce the syllable without it, it's not a vowel.

If you take the w out of "tow" it's still pronounceable.  You can't pronounce shit without the o.
    Here's where things get interesting, though: the vowel sound in "town" is very much different from the vowel sound in "ton".
  • Bee said:

Here's where things get interesting, though: the vowel sound in "town" is very much different from the vowel sound in "ton".
    pronounceable, not same
  • apparently "cwm" is a Welsh loanword and the proper English version is 'corrie'.

Source: two minutes on wikiped
    >welsh garbageness
    >english isles

wow i can't believe i went to work and didn't notice i got trolled this hard

and i also can't believe Tre beat me to that joke
  • edited 2016-10-01 18:08:59
    does anyone else sometimes say "RWBY" like "ruby" but with the lips barely open for the first syllable (producing a very muffled sound)?  because that's a lot closer to the way the word written because it's more like how the letter w causes the mouth to be shaped typically
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...
    Raises wing
  • kill living beings
    reeby