This is you when you consume content

Comments

• kill living beings
    aaaaah #aaaaah
  • how really really white male nerd
  • My dreams exceed my real life
    I did cover anime. *lists a bunch of things that were localized 50 years ago*
  • the punchline for this image should be "it's for research"
  • edited 2016-09-19 16:34:31
    honestly though this does highlight an irony

if one calls something a job, even be it actual research, then one easily finds something else to do instead
  • I feel like giving this dude and the dude he's trying to please a couple of swirlies
  • there aren't really that many Gobots.

Anyway. I'm going to live my life in ignorance and just pretend this is satire or something.
  • i have no idea whether this is real or not anyway
  • I kinda want to high-five this guy.
    Jane said:

there aren't really that many Gobots.

Anyway. I'm going to live my life in ignorance and just pretend this is satire or something.

• I dunno, I like the prose.
  • Odradek said:

Jane said:

Satire.
    Soon to be a non-satirical movie by non-satirical director Steven "non-satirical" Spielberg
  • In the year 2044, the world is gripped by an energy crisis and global warming, causing widespread social problems and economic stagnation. The primary escape for most people is the OASIS, a virtual universe, accessed with a visor and haptic gloves. It functions both as an MMORPG and as a virtual society, with its currency being the most stable currency in the world. It was created by James Halliday, who has recently died. His will left a series of clues towards an Easter Egg within the OASIS that would grant whoever found it both his fortune and control of the OASIS itself. This has led to an intense interest in all aspects of 80s pop culture, which Halliday made clear would be essential to finding his egg.
    so that's what hell is like
  • and it has an audiobook narrated by Wil Wheaton, oh that just takes the cake
  • edited 2016-09-19 17:01:36
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I used to be this guy. >_>

quietly backs out of the room in shame
  • there is nothing wrong with Wil Wheaton.

And actually now knowing the plot of the book it seems like it could be OK if it were handled correctly. I don't find the premise inherently objectionable. 
  • edited 2016-09-19 17:07:48

I was exaggerating more towards the 80s nostalgia/geekery factor there

but I can accept that it could be good for what it is
  • SF_Sorrow said:

I feel like giving this dude and the dude he's trying to please a couple of swirlies

this is even more annoying than the post in the OP
  • that wasn't funny in the end, sorry
  • We can do anything if we do it together.
    Yeah, you kinda did that thing I do where I fixate and get overly negative about something.
  • Honestly it kinda sounds like a 

I dunno

sort of a situation where the book is humorous because of how ridiculous the situation is.

Granted I've never read it so I don't know if it's actually humorous and if so if that's why.
  • maybe

tho to be serious it's fine by me if it's just a really earnest love letter to the decade the author grew up with

overt 80s nostalgia is just kinda anathema for me
    80s nerds don't deserve to be pandered to after how hard they messed up their reaction to ghostbusters
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    If he didn't turn into Freakazoid after all that, it was time wasted.
  • the best 80s nostalgic thing is /r/Outrun
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”
    lee4hmz said:

If he didn't turn into Freakazoid after all that, it was time wasted.

Or Ambush Bug.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    Jane said:

there is nothing wrong with Wil Wheaton.

And actually now knowing the plot of the book it seems like it could be OK if it were handled correctly. I don't find the premise inherently objectionable. 
    there is nothing wrong with wil wheaton though he himself is also a piece of 80s nerd nostalgia
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    SF_Sorrow said:

maybe

tho to be serious it's fine by me if it's just a really earnest love letter to the decade the author grew up with

overt 80s nostalgia is just kinda anathema for me

me too, which makes me feel guilty sometimes
    In the book, Wil Wheaton and Cory Doctorow have been elected president and vice-president.

The world is a shitty dystopia, so I kind of feel like this was a slam neither the author or Wil Wheaton realized was made
  • edited 2016-09-19 20:57:31
    We can do anything if we do it together.
    I still feel kinda ashamed that I used to like both of them. >_>

(Yes I know that objectively speaking there is nothing wrong with either of them, but still...)
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I am entirely okay with 80s nostalgia and the rest of you can go to hell
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    I don't really literally mean that, though
  • this thread confuses me
  • kill living beings
    This is you consume when you content.
  • Odradek said:

Jane said:

"It's a chick flick disguised as a sword-and-sorcery picture"

Well yeah, that's what makes Ladyhawke such a great movie.

this thread confuses me

How so
  • “I'm surprised. Those clothes… but, aren't you…?”

Odradek said:

Jane said:

"It's a chick flick disguised as a sword-and-sorcery picture"

Well yeah, that's what makes Ladyhawke such a great movie.
    Exactly!

Also, kudos to likely being the only other person on this forum to remember that this movie even exists.
    You know what I'm noticing about that exchange is that the narrator can't defend his position at all without resorting to just naming surface elements and assuming they automatically mean quality