It kind of weirds me out that people act like the Atari 2600 was always called the Atari 2600

It was the Atari Video Computer System, or Atari VCS

The 2600 name was applied retroactively when Atari came out with another console, the Atari 5200

But nobody ever seems to acknowledge that in any way

Comments

• I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's like how people forget that Bart was the original star of The Simpsons
  • image Wee yea erra chs hymmnos mea.
    Because why would they? I mean, nobody calls the SNES the Super Famicom unless they're specifically referring to the Japanese release, and nobody on Earth calls the NES the Family Computer.
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Those kinda make sense to me, because those are regional differences. People call it the SNES because it was always called that where they lived.

But it's weird to me that people who grew up at the time that it was called the Atari VCS would be willing to retroactively call it the 2600. I know I wouldn't...
  • that's because you're a nutter butter
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    I get where she's coming from tbh
  • Touch the cow. Do it now.
    on a not-really-the-same note, I now find it oddly uncomfortable to refer to the Sega Genesis when it was elsewhere called the Mega Drive (and would've been here too, if not for some trademark malarkey).
  • My dreams exceed my real life

Those kinda make sense to me, because those are regional differences. People call it the SNES because it was always called that where they lived.

But it's weird to me that people who grew up at the time that it was called the Atari VCS would be willing to retroactively call it the 2600. I know I wouldn't...
    Also there are minor but important hardware differences

Like the 10NES chips which more or less killed the unlicensed game market in the states
  • It was the Atari Video Computer System, or Atari VCS

The 2600 name was applied retroactively when Atari came out with another console, the Atari 5200

But nobody ever seems to acknowledge that in any way
    actually i did not know this

in my defence though i never owned either system
  • Munch munch, chomp chomp...

I mean like, it helps to have something to differentiate them easily when you begin using numbers. And there's not a large time gap between the 2600 and 5200 anyway.
  • How to start a pointless nerd fight: ask if it's acceptable to call the original Playstation the "PSX".
  • How to start a pointless nerd fight: ask if it's acceptable to call the original Playstation the "PSX".

i thought this was standard practice

in fact i did it out of cultural osmosis until i realized that's only the name of a specific model

i thought this was standard practice

in fact i did it out of cultural osmosis until i realized that's only the name of a specific model
    It is retroactively not called that anymore because they named some PS2 accessory that.
  • Does anyone here have an Atari Genesis, a Nintendo 3DO, or a Super Sony Entertainment System?

A Philipstation 3 might also work.
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    The PSX is the original HUEG PlayStation, isn't it? 
  • lee4hmz said:

Wiki says PSX was never officially the name of any kind of PS1, but was used in some pre-release marketing because they thought Americans wouldn't like the name "PlayStation".
  • edited 2016-09-19 16:00:42
    apparently not: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PSX

edit b/c ninja'd

lee4hmz said:

Wiki says PSX was never officially the name of any kind of PS1, but was used in some pre-release marketing because they thought Americans wouldn't like the name "PlayStation".
    Xtreme Kool Letterz
  • my dad called our PS One a PSX when I was a wee lad so it clearly caught on as an abbreviation for the console somehow

surely I'd figure one would think of it before thinking of that one Japan-only PS2 that had the built in DVR or whatever it was
  • edited 2016-09-19 17:17:09
    Yeah, my Sony-console-owning friends definitely called it a PSX back in elementary school.
  • PlayStation X, not to be confused with PlayStation 10 for the NES Wii
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    "PSX" makes at least as much sense as calling the GameCube "GCN"

Which is to say, not much, but that never stopped people from doing it
  • calling things anything makes no sense, abolish language, all things that require more than gesticulation to indicate are artifacts of decadence
  • calling things anything makes no sense, abolish language, all things that require more than gesticulation to indicate are artifacts of decadence

this would be a neat philosophy for like an alien race in a sci-fi setting to have
  • "PSX" makes at least as much sense as calling the GameCube "GCN"

Which is to say, not much, but that never stopped people from doing it
    i call it the GC
  • imagei will watch the heck outta this pumpkin patch
    GCN was actually the official acronym

Nintendo themselves used it