People 'splaining about your choice of ISP

"You have AT&T? AT&T sucks!" "Why did you pick Time Warner Cable? Time Warner sucks!"

Spoiler, guys, all the big telecoms suck

They are relying on the fact that you only have 2-3 choices in any given market, which means none of them have to be good

Thus I decide solely based on price, you see
Tagged:

Comments

• oh the small ones also suck pretty bad. BlueRidge throttles our internet speed basically whenever they feel like it and constantly send me emails pestering me to get their cable package and/or threatening me with fees because I'm close to our house's monthly bandwidth limit.
  • Sup bitches, witches, Haters, and trolls.
    the only good isp is going onto a college campus
  • I've learned to tolerate drama...except on the boat
    It's clearly AlphaNet, Internet from Utilis Industries
  • You are the end result of a “would you push the button” prompt where the prompt was “you have unlimited godlike powers but you appear to all and sundry to be an impetuous child” – Zero, 2022
    Calica said:

the only good isp is going onto a college campus

This has been my experience too
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Where I am, it's either Comcast or FiOS, and even then you can only get FiOS in certain places. In Fairfax, it's Cox, but only because they got there first—I'm sure Comcast would have loved to have gotten Media General Cable.
    Media General Cable?
  • BeeBee
    edited 2016-09-10 06:14:36

"You have AT&T? AT&T sucks!" "Why did you pick Time Warner Cable? Time Warner sucks!"

Spoiler, guys, all the big telecoms suck

They are relying on the fact that you only have 2-3 choices in any given market, which means none of them have to be good

Thus I decide solely based on price, you see
    Honestly you're kind of lucky if you have 2.  The kind of boonies me and my family come from, it's usually one, and they overcharge for shitty service with lots of downtime.  We were being charged for a 100 Mbps pipe, and at any given time I'd measure it at 22k at best.

When Youtube stopped buffering videos, I basically had to stop using Youtube until I got back to college.
  • edited 2016-09-11 02:22:44
    THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Anonus said:

Media General Cable?

Yeah. When the plant in most of Fairfax was built out in the early 1980s, it was Media General who funded the venture. It was a nice system for the time, too, with 120 channels and rudimentary cable modem support through the Z-TAC system.
    Did Media General sell it at some point?
  • THIS MACHINE KILLS FASCISTS
    Yeah, they sold it to Cox sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s, I think?